PinkY Violence IN YOUR FACE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
    but I'm just wondering if any Pinky violence films ever made it to blu-ray, or are there any hints that this may be so.
    Unless Arrow or some German labels release some, I can't really see any coming to blu-ray anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
      Unless Arrow or some German labels release some, I can't really see any coming to blu-ray anytime soon.
      I think Arrow are your best bet, bear in mind they are now releasing TOEI stuff [the upcoming 'Battles Without Honor and Humanity' set], so i think the chances are pretty high, send them your suggestions, i've mentioned a fair few myself!

Comment

• I did a dvd comparison for Lynch Law Classroom since I picked the Toei disc from rental store to show the film to my friend.

Top: Toei R2J
        Bottom: Panik House / Synapse R1

No contest. Really weak from Toei, by their own standards, and especially considering Panik House put their release out years before Toei. Panik House looks horizontally a bit streched, though, and a bit cropped as well. I don't think it's a huge deal, though.

Sorry I can't do bigger caps. My R1 disc is in Finland so I gotta do with what I've got saved on my hard disc.

Comment

• Another comparison. Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs.

Top: HK Video
          Middle: Discotek
          Bottom: Toei

Comment

• Continued...

Top: HK Video
            Middle: Discotek

This film has always been a bit of a mess on DVD.

HK Video has great sharpness and looks good in the opening (first two caps) and closing scenes (last 2 caps), but pretty bad for the rest of the film. I don't know what they do with their transfers, but characters always end up having crazy white and purple skin tones. I really hate that.

Discotek is somehow the opposite. It doesn't look so good in the opening and closing scenes, but it's pretty solid for the rest of the film.

Toei is the most consistent of the three. Although a bit soft, a bit green, and never looking quite fantastic, it always looks more or less natural. Overall, I'd say Toei has the best, or shall we say least problematic, transfer.

Audio is fine on all three releases, but I recall Discotek having a little bit less punch than Toei and HK Video. I could be wrong, though.

I saw the film on 35mm recently in Tokyo. It was an excellent print, much better than what we have on any of the DVDs.

Comment

• Great timing Takuma. This week I've been agonizing over whether or not to finally watch Zero Woman Red Handcuffs. I've been wanting to watch it for years but I keep telling myself to wait for the blu-ray. My gut tells me this will be one of the first to get released once some publisher decides to put a handful of PV on blu. Your screens have convinced me put the Discotek DVD back on the shelf a little longer. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                Great timing Takuma. This week I've been agonizing over whether or not to finally watch Zero Woman Red Handcuffs. I've been wanting to watch it for years but I keep telling myself to wait for the blu-ray. My gut tells me this will be one of the first to get released once some publisher decides to put a handful of PV on blu. Your screens have convinced me put the Discotek DVD back on the shelf a little longer. Thanks
                I wouldn't wait for BD if I were you. Good source materials are hard to come by for this film, Discotek's dvd didn't sell well in the first place, and the film's never gonna be passed uncut by BBFC, meaning Arrow is unlikely to touch it either. I'm not saying the film's never gonna have a BD release, and it does have a bit of reputation for having being distributed in several countries, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Comment

• Bohachi Bushido

Top: Discotek R1

It's exactly the same transfer on both discs. What makes the difference is that Discotek has superb extras. There's a great 21 min interview with actress Yuriko Hishimi, a good 16 min interview with genre cinema expert J Taro Sugisaku, an extensive stills gallery (also pictures of the screenplay), a big chunk of the original manga as scanned images, a good essay by Chris D, a short writing by Mark Schilling, trailer, and an audio commentary by J Taro Sugisaku and Takao Nakano, although it's a bit more tongue in the cheek and less informative than you might wish. Toei only has trailer and stills.

Yuriko Hishimi on working at Toei

It's a stunning movie as well, a true masterpiece of the genre. Get the Discotek if you don't have it already!

Comment

• Sex & Fury

Bottom: Panik House R1

Panik House is missing quite a bit of image on the right side, which is a shame. Otherwise it's quite fantastic.

Comment

• In case you're wondering why all the comparisons, it's because I'm educating a friend on pinky violence so we've been renting and watching all these dvds. My R1 discs are back in Finland, but I have plenty of screencaptures saved on my computer, so...

As for Sex & Fury, as enjoyable the final slaugher is, it's absolutely packed with continuity errors. Ike's boobs are inside and outside of her top in every other shot depending on the camera angle, and the stairs she descends lead to a complelty different place than a minute ago when she was ascending them

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                        In case you're wondering why all the comparisons, it's because I'm educating a friend on pinky violence so we've been renting and watching all these dvds.
                        I'm enjoying it. It's not easy to find PV discussions. Just not enough getting released.

Comment

• School of the Holy Beast: R2J vs. R2FR (Post 1/2)

Bottom: Studio Canal R2 FR

Comment

• School of the Holy Beast: R2J vs. R2FR (Post 2/2)

Bottom: Studio Canal R2 FR

There is no definitive release of this excellent nunsploitation film. The Toei disc looks quite poor with its heavy blue tint and is interlaced as well. It looks squeezed as well. The French DVD is pretty good, however. It's sharper and the colours are much more natural, doing more justice to the film's gorgeous visuals. It still has small flaws here and there: in a couple of scenes the colours and contrast are odd, one one short scene there is a strange ghosting effect, and it seems to come from a French print which has a couple of burned-in introduction etc. texts, but generally speaking it looks good.

I can't say for sure what the film looked like originally, but I'll let you know if I manage to catch a 35mm print.

I believe the R1 release by Cult Epics has the same transfer as Toei.

Comment

• Wow, the french disc looks almost HD compared to the Toei. No english options I assume? Wasn't the american release non-anamorphic as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                                Wow, the french disc looks almost HD compared to the Toei. No english options I assume? Wasn't the american release non-anamorphic as well?
                                No English subs on Studio Canal. It's OOP as well. Luckily I bought mine about 10 years ago.

The R1 should be anamorphic. I've never seen it with my own eyes, but I'm pretty sure there was a comparison on asiandvdguide (R.I.P) that confirmed it was identical to Toei, plus these few caps make it look very much like Toei.

Comment

Working...
                                X