• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Donnie Yen Thread!

I so want to go this weekend!

Watch the trailer here...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3918698521/
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

If it's half as good as the first one that's a good thing.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

yeah Ip Man was great. I really dug it.

Comment

You coming with us? Take tomorrow off!
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

You're lucky you go him in the cinema. I have to wait a few weeks for this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IP-Man-Blu-r...6210539&sr=1-1

...but at least I'll probably get to see Yen's new film, the CNY comedy, next week; where he plays...a women's hair and makeup expert (apparently)!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
            You coming with us? Take tomorrow off!
            :( I can't. Plus I'd just fall asleep again.

Comment

So, Ip Man 2. It's good. Very good. I don't think that it had the emtional pull of the first one (I got swept up in the nationalist aspect of it!). This one has some good drama and some emotional parts and some pretty riviting moments but it's much more of a fight film, I think. This isn't a bad thing, specifically, but storywise, I found the first one edged out this second one.

That said, some of the fights are pretty incredible, particularly the one when Donnie throws down with Sammo on a table. A bit of obvious trickery didn't take away from it - we were still watching two of the best doing their thing and it was pretty damn cool getting to see that on the big screen. Sammo was actually my favorite part of the film, but I kinda figured he would be before it even started, just because I generally enjoy his work more than Yen's. Either way, it's a pretty worthy follow up and absolutely worth checking out. I'm glad we went.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's true that the story wasn't as deep as the first, still, I enjoyed it a lot more (and I loved the first one). The fight scenes were amazing and the bad guys were so loathsome, I had goosebumps throughout the whole movie. Best movie I've seen in a long time.
                Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Well, there's two people with good taste whose words I trust. I'll make sure I pick it up on Blu when it's released in the UK in a month. :)

Comment

Well-Go USA has it coming out domestically (well, domestically for me, not for you!) on April 19th.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Talking of Donnie Yen, have you all seen the trailer for his new film The Lost Bladesman?

Or how about his plans for a new Electric Boogaloo film? (Haha, I kid -- this is waaaaay old Donnie)

PS: Ian, does this mean I'll have Ip Man 2 on BD a whole month ahead of you? Or will you get a screener before street-date?

Comment

I don't know about screeners yet but if I do get one, it won't likely be a month early.

Lost Bladesman looks pretty cool, Mismatched Couples does not.

Yen's kinda stepped up his game the last few years. Most of his recent output, or his action movie output at least, has been really good.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          ...Mismatched Couples does not.
                          Yeah, I've kind of avoided it forever...like most of the '80s HK disco cash-ins. The one or two I did see were (expectedly) terrible.

The other big news on Mr. Yen, is that he's gay...no, wait, that's not it...(just joshing); he's playing the Monkey King in a brand new version next year! He's going to have to really up his game to improve on either Stephen Chow or Jet Li's versions of Sun Wu Kong though. ;)

In all honesty, thanks to you guys, I've actually started to warm to the guy a bit. It's taken twenty years, and the guy's nearly fifty now, but all dogs have their day!

Comment

I take that back: Metrodome replied this evening advising that their discs have the theatrical Cantonese audio for Legend of Fist. But their version has burnt-in subs, so it looks like I'll be getting the HK DVD afterall... ;)
                            Last edited by Mike T; 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM. Reason: last update change

Comment

Haven't seen that one yet myself but I did just find my misplaced screener for 14 Blades which I'll hopefully get to this week. Daniel Lee's Three Kingdom's didn't blow me away but I still hold a soft spot for Black Mask. And Sammo's in this one, so it should, if nothing else, at least be entertaining.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X