X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akira 25th Anniversary Blu-ray In The Works

Funimation is making this happen.

Comics Alliance says this:

"the release will mean North American fans and potential new viewers will have easy access to a feature-rich Akira Blu-ray/DVD containing Streamline's 1988 English dub and Pioneer's 2001 version, plus the original Japanese audio with English subtitles."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I hope they correct the audio flub from the first Buray.

Comment

Why would you want the 1988 dub aside from laughing at how bad it is?
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I see they are trying to start up the LIVE ACTION version of this again in the US.....

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
          Why would you want the 1988 dub aside from laughing at how bad it is?
          A lot of us grew up strictly on that. Watched it a hundred times that way. When the first dvd was released it was a shock to my system and it was hard for me to watch it. The disc just collects dust. There was a time when I was an unapologetic subtitles only type person but there's a place for dubbed films. Call it nostalgia but I prefer to watch my Shaw Bros movies dubbed too. And recently if I just have something on in the background, like Casa Negra Mexican films or Paul Naschy flicks, I watch the dub. I'm a lot more flexible on that stuff these days.

MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO was another big one for me. The Fox vhs dub is how I first saw the movie. I don't want the Disney redub.

I know Blue Underground gets shit on for only including the dub in some of their releases but I couldn't imagine watching NEW YORK RIPPER subtitled.
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I get it but the dub for Akira is so bad. I like the old English dub for Ghost in the Shell despite a few flubs.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I like the old GitS dub too. Admittedly the old AKIRA dub is along the lines of the old Shaw Bros dubs, over accentuating everything, it isn't subtle. I love it!
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	343969
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Seems like they are STILL trying to make the live action version....

Looks like Warner Bros. has finally learned to be appropriately ashamed of its live-action Akira remake. The production, as you might recall, was originally intended to be a $200 million blockbuster, then—after being rejected by Brad Pitt, James Franco, Mila Kunis, Keanu Reeves, director Albert Hughes, and the Internet as manifested into a ball of pure, red-faced energy—it was quietly downgraded to a regular old $90 million movie, before seemingly being put out of its misery in 2012. But according to an aside in a Deadline story about another film entirely, the project isn't dead at all. It's simply been put in cryonic storage while new screenwriter Dante Harper, approximately the sixth to be attached to the project, takes another crack at it. So if anyone out there has been plagued by mysterious, grotesque visions of late, congratulations: You're starring in the new Garrett Hedlund movie.

Comment

This is awful anyway you cut it. Just let it go already!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There's a pretty slick looking Korean steelbook release coming soon.

https://www.yesasia.com/akira-blu-ra...0-en/info.html

Name:	EKNdHASVUAIZaMm.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	357078

Name:	EKNdHATU8AArwUl.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	357079

Name:	EKNdHATUYAA7m4-.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	357080

Name:	EKNdHAWUwAEHg2t.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	357081
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

"An early prototype of the unreleased Sega Mega Drive adaptation of Akira!Developed by Black Pearl Software sometime in late 1993 for a planned released in 1995, this game attempted to do a faithful adaptation of the original film by presenting various key scenes from the film in unique ways. The game features first person shooting, racing, platforming, and beat-em up segments to help illustrate the various points in the movie's story. Thought to have been lost since its initial debut in various media as well as the Summer Consumer Electronic Show (SCES 94) in 1994, an early prototype has been discovered and is presented for the first time in full!A huge thank you goes to Matsuda and an anonymous donor for giving us an opportunity to preserve and share this wonderful gem! Enjoy!Read more about this prototype here:https://bit.ly/2ZhfzYc"
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

One of the best things I did was buying Kaneda's 1/6th scale bike a few years ago when it was still reasonable (if you call $400 reasonable) because now, it routinely sells for over $2000!

Comment

Working...
                            X