Clear All

• Tsui Hark's Young Detective Dee

From City On Fire:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4845_tn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	363485

"As part of the Chinese movie studio Huayi Brother's 'H Plan,' in which they aim to compete directly with Hollywood blockbusters, Tsui Hark will produce a prequel to his successful film Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame. Huayi Brothers President Wang Zhongjun conceded that the Chinese box office is still dominated by Hollywood films due to their “appealing storylines” and expensive special effects.

However, Wang expects the H Plan to lead to a turnaround for Chinese film industry. Tai Chi O director Stephen Fung and Painted Skin 2 direct Wu Ershan will also have new projects for Huayi Brothers in 2013."

I really enjoyed Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame so I'm glad to see Hark's going back to the character. Honestly I'd rather see a sequel than a prequel but whatever.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Cover art for the Well Go USA Blu-ray due 2/11/14.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Looks fun, can't go wrong with martial arts + monsters! Actually it'll be shown on a festival in my city in 2 weeks, but unfortunately it's in 3D so I have to wait for DVD/blu. :/

Comment

I really enjoyed the Phantom Flame as well and picked up the blu ray. Shame Andy Lau couldn't reprise his role but I guess they needed a younger actor since it is a prequel.

Comment

Final cover art!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From City On Fire:

A 3rd film in the Detective Dee series, tentatively titled Detective Dee and the Four Kings, has been announced by the Huayi Brothers film company (Chinese Zodiac, Mojin: The Lost Legend).

According to AFS, Tsui Hark (The Raid) will once again direct. There's currently no information on whether Detective Dee and the Four Kings will be a sequel to the 2010 Andy Lau film (Detective Dee & the Mystery of the Phantom Flame); or if it will be a follow up to 2013′s Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon, which starred Mark Chao. There is a possibility of a time paradox-infused script, featuring both incarnations, according to a 2014 interview with Hark.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The next film in the series, Detective Dee And The Four Heavenly Kings, is now officially in pre-production and slated for a 2018 release.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The third film is is getting a limited theatrical release via Well Go USA and likely a Blu-ray release to follow.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                X