No announcement yet.

The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmation just in from Hong Kong (direct from IVL): the Shaw Blu-rays will be All Region! Hooray! :thomason:

I can get The Love Eterne on BD now. :)

Comment

I dream of a day when Vengeance gets a Blu-ray release. Out of all the films I saw at a theatrical retrospective a few years back that was the one that really stuck with me (even more so than One Armed Swordsman, which I count as a favorite SB).
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

OK, I don't actually dream of that day, but it would be rad.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Sadly, I never got to see Vengeance...or Golden Swallow, for that matter. They were the two that I really wanted to see that eluded me -- by going OOP before I could snap them up. Fingers crossed for a Blu-ray on both (tbh, I already know that Golden Swallow is on its way, as it was re-submitted to the HK censor board for re-classification late last year). ;)

Comment

I haven't seen Golden Swallow either, but Vengeance ranks in my top 5.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Interesting fact: I've just been going through a handful of my Shaw discs from Hong Kong and you'll never guess what?
              The Dolby Digital audio on some of the ones that have been remixed, is actually Dolby EX! So, they're 6.1 remixes, not 5.1.
              I might have a look through all the discs with remixed soundtracks and see what's 6.1 and what isn't.
              This would certainly explain a lot (in relation to the diehards, without surround systems, whinging about the "cluttered" audio).
              Jeez it was good upgrading the PC! I'm learning lots of stuff about my DVD collection I never knew before. :)
              Btw, my Yamaha amp in the living room is only 5.1 (hence why I want to upgrade it, and also hence why I never noticed this before).
              I might post a list of all the Shaw titles released by IVL in Hong Kong that have DD-EX sound, when I'm done. :thomason:

PS: The soundtracks on the new Shaw BDs will DTS-Master Audio.

Comment

For Shaw Brothers titles that were released with Dolby EX 6.1 soundtracks by IVL on HK R3 DVD, see this thread:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...Hong-Kong-DVDs

I was able to manually verify all of these on my PC from file information provided by PowerDVD 10 Ultra. The linked details are a complete list of all the DD-EX titles I have.

You can take these as a positive, or a negative, depending on how you look at things. I guess it all depends on whether you see the glass as half full, or half empty... ;)
                Last edited by Mike T; 02-16-2011, 06:50 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

This just shipped, should be here in a couple of days.

I've never seen it, but Cheng Pei-Pei is awesome and even if Lo Lieh seemingly appears in everything his presence is always welcome.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's great! And gory as buggery! Plus, it has fan favourite Shih Szu in it -- I'm sure you're going to love it. :)

Comment

Gory as buggery is always a plus.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Well, maybe I was over-selling it by saying that. But it was definitely quite gory in that "loads of blood" fashion the Shaw were good at during the period. It came out of the transition from the '60s-to-'70s and they were pushing the amount of bloodshed up to the levels of the Japanese chanbara films of the time. If you've seen The Rescue or Call to Arms, Lady Hermit is about on a par with those for blood 'n' guts. :)

Remind me to buy the US DVD of All Men are Brothers and Jade Tiger, as I missed those out of Hong Kong. Now if only someone in the US would release The Invincible Fist and Vengeance, and I can be a happy man. :thomason:

Comment

Any more Shaw goodness to report? I was going to watch a Shaw title before bed last night, but as I have so many of the damn things I couldn't make up my mind -- so I just went to bed instead. At least I'll soon have Heaven and Hell, at last. Always wanted to know what a psychedelic, kung fu musical set in the seven levels of Chinese Hell looked like, so I guess this means soon I'll know... :p

Comment

I still haven't gotten around to Lady Hermit yet, though it did arrive.

This weekend, I'll make a point of it. I haven't seen any new releases news domestically for a while now.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

No rush, Geddy Lee...(geddit?). Haha...

Actually, I might watch Lady Hermit tonight (in EX, haha). Hmmm... :think:

Comment

I have to review it, so there's a bit of a rush, but no, no Geddy Lee at all.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X