Clear All

• Hmm...

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1981

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1982

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1983

http://www.janusfilms.com/films/1984
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I could've sworn @Derrick King already mentioned this months ago on another thread but can't find it.

Comment

• I'm down for this if they're done right. Held onto my fortune star DVDs just because.

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
          I could've sworn @Derrick King already mentioned this months ago on another thread but can't find it.
          Yeah, it was part of Criterion's New Year's Day clue (along with a Wong Kar-wai box, and Agnes Varda box, and a Fellini box.) [I don't recall if I mentioned this, but that was likely the last newsletter clue, as the artist, Jason Polan, died -from cancer- in January]

Over at the Blu-ray.com forum, Old Pang Yau(Brandon Bentley) teased "Something tells me this won't just be the same four movies... "

I'm curious if they are going to be stuck using the transfers as is (like with the two Police Story movies) or can they adjust the colors, like Shout did for their Shout Select Blu-rays?

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
            Yeah, it was part of Criterion's New Year's Day clue (along with a Wong Kar-wai box, and Agnes Varda box, and a Fellini box.) [I don't recall if I mentioned this, but that was likely the last newsletter clue, as the artist, Jason Polan, died -from cancer- in January]

Over at the Blu-ray.com forum, Old Pang Yau(Brandon Bentley) teased "Something tells me this won't just be the same four movies... "

I'm curious if they are going to be stuck using the transfers as is (like with the two Police Story movies) or can they adjust the colors, like Shout did for their Shout Select Blu-rays?
            Thanks for confirming it...at least, I now know I wasn't imagining things. RIP to Jason Polan. Speaking of Old Pang Yau, I'm sure a lot of martial arts/kung fu/Asian film fans are already familiar with him but for those that don't, he had a YT channel where he reviewed films and he gradually ventured into film making himself and did a nice commentary for the Bruce Lee Shout release of BIG BOSS too. Criterion should release these future Bruce Lee movies as 4K UHD if they want me to double dip from the Shout Factory box set.

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
              Criterion should release these future Bruce Lee movies as 4K UHD if they want me to double dip from the Shout Factory box set.
              That would be an enticement to double dip. However, the consensus over in the UHD section of the Blu-ray.com forum seems to be that the French UHD set isn't really much of an upgrade over the Shout Select Blu-rays.

Comment

That would be an enticement to double dip. However, the consensus over in the UHD section of the Blu-ray.com forum seems to be that the French UHD set isn't really much of an upgrade over the Shout Select Blu-rays.
                Yes, they've not been colour corrected or had the black levels adjusted. Hopefully that's just laziness on the part of Metropolitan and not contractual from Fortune Star. There's a miniscule improvement in detail, but not worth the negative factors.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Pre-order is up for Criterion's Bruce Lee box set (The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, The Way of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, and Game of Death )
                  special features:
                  4K digital restorations of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtracks
                  New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 99-minute 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtrack
                  2K digital restoration of the 102-minute “special-edition” version of Enter the Dragon
                  Alternate audio soundtracks for the films, including original English-dubbed tracks and a 5.1 surround soundtrack for the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon
                  Six audio commentaries: on The Big Boss by Bruce Lee expert Brandon Bentley; on The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon by Hong Kong-film expert Mike Leeder; and on the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon by producer Paul Heller
                  High-definition presentation of Game of Death II, the 1981 sequel to Game of Death
                  Game of Death Redux, a new presentation of Lee's original Game of Death footage, produced by Alan Canvan
                  New interviews on all five films with Lee biographer Matthew Polly
                  New interview with producer Andre Morgan about Golden Harvest, the company behind Hong Kong's top martial-arts stars, including Lee
                  New program about English-language dubbing with voice performers Michael Kaye (the English-speaking voice of Lee's Chen Zhen in Fist of Fury) and Vaughan Savidge
                  New interview with author Grady Hendrix about the “Bruceploitation” subgenre that followed Lee's death, and a selection of Bruceploitation trailers
                  Blood and Steel, a 2004 documentary about the making of Enter the Dragon
                  Multiple programs and documentaries about Lee's life and philosophies, including Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (1998)
                  Interviews with Linda Lee Cadwell, Lee's widow, and many of Lee's collaborators and admirers, including actors Jon T. Benn, Riki Hashimoto, Nora Miao, Robert Wall, Yuen Wah, and Simon Yam and directors Clarence Fok, Sammo Hung, and Wong Jing
                  Promotional materials
                  New English subtitle translations and subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
                  PLUS: An essay by critic Jeff Chang

Comment

4K digital restorations of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtracks
                    Interesting that they don't seem to note that these are NEW 4k restorations. Will these use the same sources as the Shout! discs I wonder?

Either way, it looks like a nice set.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Yeah, same masters as the four Shout Select releases, but who knows if they were allowed to color correct them like Shout did or if they were forced to use them as is (ala Police Story 1 and 2.) Any way, should be worth it, especially during one of the 50% off sales, if only for the theatrical cut of Enter the Dragon and some of the other extras.

Comment

• If it's the same old transfers, there's little incentive to upgrade from the legacy collection.
                        But Bruce Lee does have a hardcore fanbase and I wouldn't be surprised if they double dip for this. I do enjoy Matthew Polly from what little I gleaned of him from his book and interviews.

Comment

• I was just reading it wasn't the same transfers, but now I don't remember where I read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                            I was just reading it wasn't the same transfers, but now I don't remember where I read it.
                            I saw it on the Blu-Ray forums. All new scans, and the 99-minute cut of Enter The Dragon and Game of Death 2 in the set.

Comment

• Here's the press release on the set:

SEVEN-DISC SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 99-minute 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtrack

2K digital restoration of the 102-minute “special-edition” version of Enter the Dragon

Alternate audio soundtracks for the films, including original English-dubbed tracks and a 5.1 surround soundtrack for the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon

Six audio commentaries: on The Big Boss by Bruce Lee expert Brandon Bentley; on The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon by Hong Kong-film expert Mike Leeder; and on the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon by producer Paul Heller

High-definition presentation of Game of Death II, the 1981 sequel to Game of Death

Game of Death Redux, a new presentation of Lee's original Game of Death footage, produced by Alan Canvan

New interviews on all five films with Lee biographer Matthew Polly

New interview with producer Andre Morgan about Golden Harvest, the company behind Hong Kong's top martial-arts stars, including Lee

New program about English-language dubbing with voice performers Michael Kaye (the English-speaking voice of Lee's Chen Zhen in Fist of Fury) and Vaughan Savidge

New interview with author Grady Hendrix about the “Bruceploitation” subgenre that followed Lee's death, and a selection of Bruceploitation trailers

Blood and Steel, a 2004 documentary about the making of Enter the Dragon

Multiple programs and documentaries about Lee's life and philosophies, including Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend (1973) and Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (1998)

Interviews with Linda Lee Cadwell, Lee's widow, and many of Lee's collaborators and admirers, including actors Jon T. Benn, Riki Hashimoto, Nora Miao, Robert Wall, Yuen Wah, and Simon Yam and directors Clarence Fok, Sammo Hung, and Wong Jing

Promotional materials

New English subtitle translations and subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

PLUS: An essay by critic Jeff Chang
                              New cover designs by Gian Galang

Comment

• I didn't buy the Shout set because of all of the nonsense that came out when it was first issued. This is a must-buy for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X