No announcement yet.

The Bruce Lee On Blu-ray Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a shame that Bruce can't seem to get the home video love he deserves.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I can't comprehend why Bruce Lee's handful of films aren't treated like treasures. He's so iconic and and instantly recognizable to everyone around the world. Why wouldn't the rights holders happily spend the time and money to release these films properly?

I'm even more baffled that Shout is willing sully their good name by releasing substandard product. Had they not botched some Jackie Chan releases I would have pre-ordered the Bruce Lee film's. They've burned all of their good will with me and I'll wait for reviews from now on.

Comment

It really is a shame that Shout accepted the Jackie Chan upconverts. Since they took those, Fortune Star obviously felt that they could give Shout any upconvert shit they wanted. When Fortune Star tried to pass those Jackie Chan masters off as HD, Shout should have told them that those masters were unacceptable and, if possible, cancelled the deal if proper HD masters were not delivered.

Comment

Apparently, Shout has some kind of "update" coming at some point on the state of this release...in which case they will no doubt talk about how they got upconverts from Fortune Star. As Derrick said, I have no idea why Bruce's films aren't getting first-class treatment. It's really a shame.

The other shame in this is that Shout! who I consider to be a good label, have danced around the issue at hand...they've released a really, REALLY shitty product and are basically saying that it's not their fault. I expect that from a major label who think only in terms of $$$, but not from a company who seemed to be more about the fans. They're now taking a pretty public slamming on the intrawebs, for whatever that's worth, and rightly so.

Comment

I'm not too surprised that they are not commenting publicly. I think it would be considered bad form if they publicly complained about a licensor, but, like I said, it doesn't excuse them accepting these upconverts, especially the Bruce Lee ones because everyone knows that genuine HD masters exist.

Comment

Shout Factory's Bruce Lee Line Is Coming!

Looks like the set has been pulled. Amazon is only selling it through third-party sellers at this point. Shout are supposed to be making an announcement in the near future.

Comment

on Amazon...

Due to a manufacturing delay, the release date for The Bruce Lee Legacy Collection has been moved to September 17, 2013. Please place your preorder on this page to receive a corrected copy at the earliest possible date.
                ADDENUDUM: As of 1st August 2013, Shout Factory have pulled this set from distribution, and are in the process of doing... something. No one is quite sure what is being done, but something is being done. (Shout Factory seem extremely reticent to tell anyone what they are doing, more's the pity.) The new release date is supposed to be 17th September 2013. I will update my review as-and-when I have further news! In the meantime, do NOT buy this version of the set, otherwise you will almsot certainly regret it!

ADDENDUM 2: The New, Revised Edition of this set, can now be pre-ordered from Amazon from this link here...

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Legacy-C...cr_dp_asin_lnk
                sukebanboy
                Last edited by sukebanboy; 08-03-2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Shout Factory's Bruce Lee Line Is Coming!

This can only be good news.

If they were keeping the quality exactly the same why reschedule it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                    This can only be good news.

If they were keeping the quality exactly the same why reschedule it at all?
                    Is it even possible to get new transfers put on discs and in stores in 6 weeks? I doubt this re-release will amount to much unless its pushed a few months.

Comment

I'm thinking they're going to correct the menus. Not expecting new transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                        I'm thinking they're going to correct the menus. Not expecting new transfers.
                        Yeah I agree....Not much time to go back and change anything else..........

Comment

Speculation (note, speculation and nothing more) at City On Fire says it could be new transfers. If there are true HD sources already available, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for some quick disc re-authoring to happen.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            Speculation (note, speculation and nothing more) at City On Fire says it could be new transfers. If there are true HD sources already available, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for some quick disc re-authoring to happen.
                            Really?

I am surprised if they can get new transfers onto the discs and have the discs out in 6 weeks.....

Absolutely ACES if they do though!

Comment

Yeah, it's not aces.

BREAKING NEWS: AICN spoke with a Shout! Factory representative and they assured the content provided by Fortune Star Entertainment was the best available and the same used for the Bruce Lee Blu-rays released a few years ago in Hong Kong. And the reason Shout! has pushed back the release date is because of “mislabeled discs.”

- See more at: http://www.cityonfire.com/shout-fact....72BFS3mT.dpuf

Fixing the menus. Mislabelled discs. Transfers staying the same, because they're "best available"

Bummer, and no sale. Better luck next time, Shout!

Comment

Yeah...Definitely NOT aces!!

Comment

Working...
                                X