The Bruce Lee On Blu-ray Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I didn't buy the Shout set because of all of the nonsense that came out when it was first issued. This is a must-buy for me.
    Same here. Let's hope Criterion picks up the Street Fighter movies too!

Comment

• yeah, I didn't think they were going to be new transfers except THE BIG BOSS. JJ Bona over at COF made a list of his pros and cons to the Criterion set:

According to Brandon Bentley, aka @OldPangYau, (who did initial work on Shout's versions, most of which was carried onto the Criterion set), the films themselves are practically the same, with the exception of the Cantonese version of The Big Boss, which is from a new and much clearer source than the Shout Factory versions.

I mean, this new set, as nice as it is, has got me doubting in some areas.

Pros (and things I'm curious about):

- Original Enter the Dragon cut

- Inclusion of Game of Death 2/Tower of Death

- Game of Death Redux, a new presentation of Lee's original Game of Death footage, produced by Alan Canvan. I haven't seen it (I don't think), but I'm curious about it. It may end up being a "con" in the long run. ;)

- Curious about Grady Hendrix' Bruceploition bit, to say the least (Only because I love Bruceploitation)

- Interview with producer Andre Morgan. When this guy talks, listen.

- No interviews with Shannon.

Cons (and things I don't care about):

- No Bey Logan commentaries (it does have Bentley's commentary and Leeder's lo-fi (audio-wise)commentaries, which are great, but adding Logan's would make it "definitive"). In fact, they should put Logan and @Mike Leeder in a room together and roll tape. I'd pay $200.00 for that.

- Artwork. Eh. I think Gian Galang is talented (he did the artwork for the Paper Tigers movie). But his style is not very "cinematic". He's more comic book-style. I'm still a sucker for original, retro-style artwork. I'm biased toward @KUNG FU BOB's artwork (we dated for a few years).

- I don't care about the new interviews on all five films with Lee biographer Matthew Polly. I've read his book (which is fantastic), so I don't need to ever hear him speak about Bruce Lee again. Ever.

- No Bruce Lee the Legend (1984)? No Warriors Journey? No Artport GOD (or whatever the hell it's called) Again, not definitive. You're Criterion FFS. Give John Little a few hundred bucks and slap it on there.

- An essay by critic Jeff Chang... NEXT... why should I care? Anyone wanna sell me on this guy? My favorite "critics" are on COF or in this forum. I can quote every single whore in The Big Boss. I bet Jeff Chang can't.

- I know this is aiming high, but no Korean cut of Tower of Death? I'd even take a VHS-quality one. Given Criterion's MSRP, they could have made this happen.

- No interviews with Cliff Booth. I mean, this guy is responsible for making Bruce Lee a household name. WTF?

Comment

• The documentaries are amazing. I should have kept the original blu-ray. I don't give a shit about commentaries, these days. Give me the best transfer of the film you can. That being said, it's Criterion, so it's going to be expensive. I want everything.

Still, one of the pros of the Criterion set is that you don't have to keep replacing shit discs like you did with Shout.

Comment

• Brandon Bentley's commentary for The Big Boss was very good.

Comment

• This is not a story about Bruce Lee.

https://soundcloud.com/ted-geoghegan...de-2-bruce-lee
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Sneak peak of the ESPN Bruce Lee documentary, Be Water, can be viewed here:

https://cityonfire.com/sundance-film...tary-be-water/
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Those 30 on 30s are okay, but I don't have any interest in a 30 minute doc taken up by 10 minutes of Bruce saying "Be like water", which everyone on the fuckin planet has heard by now.

Comment

• Blu-ray.com has a review of Criterion's Fist of Fury and it appears that they were allowed to do some color correction (compare cap 9 in the Blu-ray.com review to the 1st cap of the unaltered Hong Kong Blu at caps-a-holic, not the same frame, but it'll do).

Comment

• DVD Beaver has a review of he whole set up. Usual caveats about the Beave's inconsistent caps and the lack of the Shout Select releases on the comparison aside, we can see that they were allowed to color correct all the films. Shame everyone was barred from color correcting Police Story and Police Story 2, but this is a positive development.

Comment

• This is great news. In the era of blu-ray and 4K, i'm still enjoying my Fortune Star DVD set, so I'll hopefully consider this Criterion set the last venture into Bruce Lee territory. Until they find Bruce's long-lost, complete final cut of Game of Death.

Comment

• Watched Fist Of Fury via the Criterion set last night and was very happy with the picture quality overall. I didn't have the 2nd Shout! set with the 4k remasters, just the first one, and this is a very noticeable improvement over that.

Anyway, I think it's still my favorite Bruce Lee movie. He's so righteously pissed off for pretty much the entire movie, that brief romantic bit notwithstanding, that I get way into it, haha. At the same time, his character comes across as pretty psychotic too. Great stuff.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Watched Fist Of Fury via the Criterion set last night and was very happy with the picture quality overall. I didn't have the 2nd Shout! set with the 4k remasters, just the first one, and this is a very noticeable improvement over that.

Anyway, I think it's still my favorite Bruce Lee movie. He's so righteously pissed off for pretty much the entire movie, that brief romantic bit notwithstanding, that I get way into it, haha. At the same time, his character comes across as pretty psychotic too. Great stuff.
                                Fist of Fury is so amazing. I really liked Jet Li's remake as well. So hard to pick a favourite Bruce film, but that would probably be my choice if I could only have one.

Comment

Working...
                                X