The Bruce Lee On Blu-ray Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bruce Lee On Blu-ray Thread

Not much in the way of details yet but Boulevard Movies has this up for pre-order:

Shout Factory presents a Bruce Lee double feature:

The Way Of The Dragon (1972)
    The Game Of The Death (1978)

http://www.boulevardmovies.com/Way-O...D-p-22385.html

Release date 3/5/13.

Haven't found out if there are Blu's coming yet or not. I'd imagine there are and that if Shout! got these titles they'll have a few others.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

OK, a bit more on this by way of City On Fire.

The Big Boss/First Of Fury 3/5/13

Way Of The Dragon/Game Of Death 3/5/13

These are DVD only, the Blu-ray boxed set will supposedly contain all four films and be coming in July of 2013 to honor the 40th anniversary of his death.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

YES! YES! YES!

This is Fuggin Amazing!

Comment

Blu Ray, please! SHOUT! DO IT!!!!

Comment

Cover art for these two releases.... no Blu-ray info yet.

City On Fire says:

"Shout! Factory presents the Bruce Lee Double Feature DVD, which contains Bruce Lee's first two Golden Harvest films: 1971′s The Big Boss and 1972′s Fist of Fury. The DVDs will feature an anamorphic widescreen presentation of the original movies from new HD-transfer."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruce_Lee_Shout-203x300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	342424
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think that those covers suck. But I don't really care about cover art, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Cover art for these two releases.... no Blu-ray info yet.

City On Fire says:

"Shout! Factory presents the Bruce Lee Double Feature DVD, which contains Bruce Lee's first two Golden Harvest films: 1971′s The Big Boss and 1972′s Fist of Fury. The DVDs will feature an anamorphic widescreen presentation of the original movies from new HD-transfer."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5528[/ATTACH]
              I'm not as big a fan of Bruce Lee as many, and I'm certainly not opposed to bare-bones double feature discs for certain kinds of things, but still I would really have thought that a performer of his stature/fame would have gotten better treatment on DVD. I mean, I'm sure that Shout Factory will do a fine job on these -- but given how relatively small his filmography is, I'm really surprised we're not getting stand alone "Special Edition" releases of each of the film, or a big fancy box set.

Comment

See above. The rumor is that there's a four disc Blu-ray boxed set in the works to commemorate the 40th anniversary of his death.

These DVDs could just be budget releases for those who won't want to invest in what will inevitibly be a more expensive package with the Blu set.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ok, the top images are from the Fortune Star boxed set that came out in HK a few years back, the bottom images are from the new Shout! disc.

THE BIG BOSS

Name:	comp1.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	342707

Name:	comp2.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	342708

Name:	comp3.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	342709

Name:	comp4.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	342710

FIST OF FURY

Name:	comp5.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	342711

Name:	comp6.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	342712

Name:	comp7.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	342713

Name:	comp8.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	342714
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Does anyone know if these films were ever cut? Specifically.....gory bits? The fight scene when Bruce discovers the bodies in the ice in The Big Boss seems to be missing some footage.

Comment

As always, it's hard to tell from Screen caps...but those Fortune Star DVDs look a bit more natural than their Shout counterparts. I'm waiting for blu-ray, anyway, though,.

Comment

OK, this news is out. Coming from Shout! Factory 7/9/13 (if you order direct) or 8/9/13 if you don't...

Witness the films of a man that would become a legend… an icon...Bruce Lee!

This box set includes four of the films that would make Bruce Lee one of the most important martial artists ever to grace the screen. The set includes The Big Boss, Fist Of Fury, Way Of The Dragon and Game Of Death, all on both DVD and, for the first time, Blu-ray.

Also included are three DVDs containing two documentaries, Bruce Lee: The Legend (and the original version Bruce Lee: The Man, The Legend) and I Am Bruce Lee, plus over two hours of bonus content exclusive to this set.

Get ready to witness the legend of the dragon…

Name:	936691_498398506893285_899436459_n.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	343039
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And I guess when they say on Blu for the first time they mean domestically, because there have been Japanese and HK releases already but they left lots of room for improvement. Hopefully these are new transfers. No specific word on language options or extras yet.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A few more bits and pieces from Cliff MacMillan's posts at Blu-ray.com:

"If Shout included, say, an additional bonus disc or a book or something then I might consider pre-ordering from them directly, but, sorry, $102 plus shipping for four films is too rich for my blood."

There is a bonus disc of extras

"I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm 99% certain these are the same transfers on every other BL blu-ray out there. While The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon are true HD, I've said time and time again that Game of Death was an upconvert. Not only that, but the color correction on all of these was a pinch off... they're a tad too green/teal. As for the audio, I'm predicting Fortune Star's typical overprocessed 7.1/5.1 tracks with the horrid overlaid sound effects. If Shout adds original mono to these, then they'll be worth picking up. If not... waiting for a sale, if at all."

We have color corrected the first three masters.
                            Original Mono on the first two.
                            If someone has the original mono for WAY, send me an PM.
                            BIG BOSS also features a English dub never before used.. thanks to Toby Russell

"So is it a blu/dvd combo pack or is it a separate disc for each of the movies for the original and american versions?"

The four films are presented on DVD and BD on seperate discs... so eight discs.
                            The docs and bonus discs are DVDs.

"What about the full footage from the original "Game of Death" taken from "A Warrior's Journey"?"

It will be on the disc.

It's also noted that these will get separate releases but there's no date yet and they won't have all the extras.

This could turn out to be a pretty amazing set.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm going to wait on these. Call me cheap, but 100 bucks is too rich for my blood for 4 films. The extras are nice, and yeah, there are lots of discs. Original mono on the first two films is cool, but not available for the others, and they've colour-corrected the first three films? So you're basically going to get the first two films with the proper audio, that hopefully look good, a third film that will hopefully look good and not have the original audio, and a fourth film that nobody apparently wanted to put any work into.

Again, I don't like to sound negative, and I love Shout! Factory and the work they do, but they just released the films on DVD with no original audio, people who bought those have got to feel pretty ripped off, especially now that they can buy this set and get the proper audio on DVD and blu...for the first two films, anyway. I know you can't please everyone, but I'm over the inflated price because you get two formats (and in the case of the major studios, a digital copy). I don't need the films on both.

Yeah, I'm a big Bruce Lee fan, but I'll wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X