Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Unforgiven Remake (Yurusarezaru mono)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Unforgiven Remake (Yurusarezaru mono)

I have to admit, I am intrigued.

From Variety:

"TOKYO -- Warner Japan plans to remake the 1992 Clint Eastwood western "The Unforgiven" as a samurai period drama with Ken Watanabe playing the Eastwood role as a retired gunman taking one last job.

Helmer will be Lee Sang-il, who made "Villain," which swept the actor awards at the 2011 Japan Academy Prize ceremony.

Akira Emoto and Koichi Sato are also starring in the pic, skedded for a fall 2013 bow in Japan under the title "Yurusarezaru mono" (Japanese for "Unforgiven").

As in the original, the story will be set in 1880, with the location changed to the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, a time when Japanese settlers were displacing the native Ainu people.

Watanabe plays a samurai with a fearsome reputation as a swordsman who is living in retirement with his Ainu wife when poverty and a large bounty tempt him into action again.

Eastwood himself shot to stardom in a remake of a Japanese film: Sergio Leone's 1964 "A Fistful of Dollars," which was based on the 1961 Akira Kurosawa samurai swashbuckler, "Yojimbo."

Kurosawa's 1954 pic "Seven Samurai" was similarly remade as the 1960 John Sturges-helmed western, "The Magnificent Seven."

"Yurusarezaru mono" will shoot from September to November in Hokkaido."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Same here - I still can't get enough samurai flicks and getting Watanabe back in his native language will be a refreshing change. Just hoping they keep the drunken, murderous psychopath angle on his character here.
    It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unforgiven-Remake-Poster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	343620

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

English trailer:

Definitely looking forward to this Unforgiven remake. This already looks heaps better than the last US remake I saw by an Asian director, which was Zhang Yimou's remake of the Coen Brother's BLOOD SIMPLE.

Comment

Twitch caught up with a festival screening and posted this review last night.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This film is going to be shown at LA Eigafest this Friday with a 30min Q&A session with the director afterward. Tickets are still available. I'm going to try & make it with a buddy of mine who has a couple festival passes. Missed last years but attended a couple previous ones.

Comment

If you get to see it, please report back! I haven't heard any news of a domestic release or an NYC screening and I'm very curious how this turns out.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This looks serious. Since it has the Warner logo and has been playing the festival circuit I don't think we'll have to wait long for a release. I have a hunch I'm going to like it better than the original.
                  "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                  - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Ken Watanabe so I have high hopes for this. Normally I'd dismiss it simply because it's a remake but this at least has enough going on in terms of interesting cultural differences to give it some merit.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is out on Blu-ray over here on 28th July. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I am interested in seeing this one too.....with abit of money behind it....good actors and a decent script this could be very good indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                          This is out on Blu-ray over here on 28th July. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

On a visit to relatives in Nottingham today, I dropped into the Fopp shop - where every BD release on my 'want' list seems to be dirt cheap! I always try to limit myself to one purchase there, so as to avoid going overboard - and today, I snagged the UK BD release of this film for £13 (oddly, it seems to only be available in a steelbook version - I wonder why). Should have time to watch it on Wednesday morning, when I have some time off from work.
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
                          X