• Arrow Releasing The Street Fighter Trilogy

UK Blu-ray release coming in April.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fne6hN5XoAQJfdG.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	408472
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Awesome news. Looks like Arrow is going all the way. The Shout release only had the English language prints (and from what I hear, dubtitles, though I haven't confirmed this myself. EDIT: this info seems incorrect. Just tested the opening scene and the subs appear legi) whereas Arrow seems to have both the Japanese and US versions. And new scans from the origibal camera negative? That's surprising. Seems like they have turned down Toei's existing 2K masters and done their own for the first two films. Shame about the 3rd film not being a new scan. Speaking of the 3rd film, that's a totally underrated entry full of style and witty dialogue. And Reiko and Etsuko!
    Takuma
    Last edited by Takuma; 01-27-2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've come to appreciate the third one. Previously I used to have the awful and cut UK Pre Cert which was not a good presentation. Of course, seeing more Teruo Ishii and warming to his sense of humour helps.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        Of course, seeing more Teruo Ishii and warming to his sense of humour helps.
        Yeah, except he didn't direct that film.

Comment

Well, you learn something new every day... For some reason I thought he did. It's certainly different from the first two in some ways.

Edit: Supposedly different versions cite different directors in the credits.
          agent999
          Last edited by agent999; 01-27-2023, 12:36 PM.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Correction to my earlier post: the info about Shout having dubtitles seems incorrect. I just tested the first scene and the subs seem legit.

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
            Well, you learn something new every day... For some reason I thought he did. It's certainly different from the first two in some ways.

Edit: Supposedly different versions cite different directors in the credits.
            Yeah, I believe some of the old English language releases credited Teruo Ishii as the director for some bizarre reason. He didn't have anything to do with the film however.

Shogun's Sadism is another film that used to get credited to Ishii, even though he didn't have anything to do with that one either.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
              Correction to my earlier post: the info about Shout having dubtitles seems incorrect. I just tested the first scene and the subs seem legit.
              Yes, I seem to remember the subtitles were perfectly ok on the Shout Factory set. (I watched the films with my wife, who is a native Japanese speaker, so I'm sure she would have let me know if the subs were complete bullshit, although I think I recall her noting that some of the translations of Chiba's various insults/obscenities were far less outrageous than the native versions!)

Is there really a big difference between the original Japanese cuts of the films and those presented on the Shout set though...?

I recall reading that their transfers were created by mixing and matching bits from American and Japanese prints, so I had assumed they'd basically reconstructed the Japanese versions and matched them to the Japanese audio... but given that I've never seen authentic versions of the Japanese cuts, I really have no idea. It could be a dealbreaker though re: whether or not to pick up this Arrow set, so clarity would be helpful...
              https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
              http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think Shout had access to New Line's elements, which were IPs, but the only one they had to mix and match was the third film, with some footage from an SD master of the Japanese cut. (I probably should take to time to look this up, but I think I'm remembering correctly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                  Awesome news. Looks like Arrow is going all the way. The Shout release only had the English language prints (and from what I hear, dubtitles, though I haven't confirmed this myself. EDIT: this info seems incorrect. Just tested the opening scene and the subs appear legi) whereas Arrow seems to have both the Japanese and US versions. And new scans from the origibal camera negative? That's surprising. Seems like they have turned down Toei's existing 2K masters and done their own for the first two films. Shame about the 3rd film not being a new scan. Speaking of the 3rd film, that's a totally underrated entry full of style and witty dialogue. And Reiko and Etsuko!

That's quite a huge deal isn't it? So maybe we're past debacles like the Female Prisoner Scorpion set. Here's hoping we get some Toei stuff that wasn't been released in English friendly HD versions yet. I'd kill for the Gill Boss series.

I love the Streetfighter films so I'll buy this new release just because... Clearly I hate having money.

Comment

Working...
                  X