Memories Of Murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories Of Murder

This is getting a UHD release in France on 10/26/22.

Click image for larger version

Name:	305621120_1755399241469954_7924950831648301961_n.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	399920
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

think this one is my favorite from Bong Joon-ho

Comment

Worthless film. In fact, Korean cinema is incredibly overrated as a whole.
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
        think this one is my favorite from Bong Joon-ho
        I agree - whilst I don't need a French UHD of it, this is an A+ movie, and I'd certainly advise viewers unconvinced by Bong's other films to give it a go.
        https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
        http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, amazing film.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
            Worthless film. In fact, Korean cinema is incredibly overrated as a whole.
            correct! this bored me to tears. the only smart scene is the ending ... so apparently the serial killer wasn't caught at the time this movie was first released and the main dude stares into the camera like "maybe it's you, watching this movie, who killed all those girls". but I had to check the imdb trivia section to "get" that, the film never manages to explain this to the audience. you have to be korean, born in the right time and familiar with this case to grasp that idea.

oldboy is still the only korean movie that made an impression on me.

Comment

Thank god I am not alone in not being on the hype train of Korean film!
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post

correct! this bored me to tears. the only smart scene is the ending ... so apparently the serial killer wasn't caught at the time this movie was first released and the main dude stares into the camera like "maybe it's you, watching this movie, who killed all those girls". but I had to check the imdb trivia section to "get" that, the film never manages to explain this to the audience. you have to be korean, born in the right time and familiar with this case to grasp that idea.

oldboy is still the only korean movie that made an impression on me.
                So, you're saying this isn't exactly a hit from the Bong, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

So, you're saying this isn't exactly a hit from the Bong, then.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	tumblr_mjnzg2b5Gs1rt6mq9o1_400.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	400332

parasite did nothing for me either.
                  (no, I have no neckbeard and I didn't think the joker should have won the oscar)

Comment

The more hardcore Korean films are Chaser and I Saw the Devil.

Also think Burning and Poetry are masterpieces but more character pieces than genre films.

Comment

The Handmaiden is also quite good. Having more than a passing familiarity with the cultural prickliness between the Korean/Japanese people adds quite a bit, but even without that, the story is quite a bit of fun.

Comment

A Tale of Two Sisters, The Isle, The Wailing, Mother, Save the Green Planet!
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by null View Post
                          The Handmaiden is also quite good.
                          I thought The Handmaiden was great, of course it is exactly in the sweet spot for the sort of film I like.

Memories of Murder is not in that class for me, but then I'm really not one for serial killer films. It's still an excellent film. Much better than, say, Zodiac I thought. That decision to frame it from the pov of the useless local cop is such a strange one but works great.

I don't get how anyone couldn't be bowled over by Parasite. It was, by a very long distance, the best film to ever win an Oscar. Still inexplicable to me how that happened...
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                            A Tale of Two Sisters, The Isle, The Wailing, Mother, Save the Green Planet!
                            The Wailing is truly unnerving, almost painful to watch in the last reel. Mother was really impressive.

The original 60s The Housemaid is also a deliriously gothic horror melodrama.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              A Tale of Two Sisters
                              okay, two korean movies that impressed me.

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                              I don't get how anyone couldn't be bowled over by Parasite. It was, by a very long distance, the best film to ever win an Oscar. Still inexplicable to me how that happened...
                              c'mon ... it has been done before. I almost immediately figured out the big twist and wasn't surprised at all. I could imagine a mainstream movie bozo being impressed by that, but a dude who is trained in watching exploitation movies, really?
                              the rest of it is just the usual the rich vs. the poor, the weird korean social class system, that I couldn't care less about and some cringeworthy asian humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X