Mondo Macabro Releasing A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mondo Macabro Releasing A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse

Third up today is one of the craziest films we’ve ever done, a real cult film in-the-making, the 70s Japanese horror/exploitation free-for-all A HAUNTED TURKISH BATHHOUSE!

A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse features Nikkatsu star Naomi Tani as an abused wife sold to a brothel to cover her husband’s debts. The deceitful husband is actually behind it all, in cahoots with the brothel madame, who is his lover. Tani discovers the truth and gets tortured to death. However, the dead woman’s soul seeks vengeance from a most unusual quarter.

The film is a bizarre mixture of Japanese erotica, gangster film and “ghost cat” horror movie. All popular genres in the 1960s and 70s. It’s a heady cocktail and makes for an entertaining and unpredictable film that rocks along at a giddy pace. Director Yamaguchi is best known for his Delinquent Girl Boss and Sister Street Fighter movies as well as the Sonny Chiba film Wolf Guy.

DISC FEATURES

Region A coded US home video premiere
    Japanese language track with optional English subs
    82 minutes, widescreen 2.35:1, color
    Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative
    Brand new interview with Patrick Macias about Toei exploitation cinema in the 1970s
    Brand new audio commentary by film scholar Samm Deighan
    Trailer

LIMITED EDITION FEATURES

Brand new cover art by Justin Coffee; 20 page booklet by film scholar Jasper Sharp; 1200 numbered copies in the usual red case

This will go on sale Thursday, September 8th at 9 AM Pacific/12 noon Eastern/11 AM Central ONLY at mondomacabro.bigcartel.com!

Click image for larger version

Name:	299368152_6694396457320018_1624278988590703455_n.jpg
Views:	3326
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	398783
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Hey, I was right!
    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Amazing

Comment

From MM...

Name:	mm.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	401210
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

How the hell does that kind of fuckup even happen?

I can understand a disc not playing on a few players, but most?

Comment

My copy was shipped out before they put it on hold while waiting for the replacement discs. I can confirm that things are kinda wonky with the disc as initially released; it didn’t work on my PS4 but, thankfully, was absolutely fine on my PS5. The film itself is delightfully trashy and looks terrific, so hopefully they’ll have those corrected discs (and the standard edition) out in short order.

Comment

Name:	mm.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	402260
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

My replacement disc arrived yesterday.

Comment

Looking forward to my copy arriving.

I have fond memories of watching this in 35mm at Laputa's Kazuhiko Yamaguchi retrospective about 7 years ago:
                    https://rockshockpop.com/forum/movie...990#post188990

A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse --> Disneyland -->Karate Warriors. That was the program of my Tokyo trip, no kidding

Comment

Utterly fantastic film, and a beautiful disk from Mondo-Macabro. Ghost Cat/Pinky Violence and Naomi Tani on loan from Nikkatsu.

Comment

I agree AngelGuts, a very fun movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                          Looking forward to my copy arriving.

I have fond memories of watching this in 35mm at Laputa's Kazuhiko Yamaguchi retrospective about 7 years ago:
                          https://rockshockpop.com/forum/movie...990#post188990

A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse --> Disneyland -->Karate Warriors. That was the program of my Tokyo trip, no kidding
                          "A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse.. better than Disneyland" . that needed to be on the back of the box. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post

"A Haunted Turkish Bathhouse.. better than Disneyland" . that needed to be on the back of the box. lol
                            Haha, true!

(though to clarity, I was stating the order of events there... I went to see Bathhouse first, then I went to Disneyland, and then watched Karate Warriors. Bathhouse and Karate Warriors were both better than Disneyland! )

Comment

It's been a little while since I've watched an out and out exploitation film. That wasn't quite what I was expecting when I put this on for some Halloween viewing with the little lady. I was expecting something a little more Hausu-ish but by gad, there's a lot of rape in this... Literally years since I watched something this rape-y.*

Disappointed I didn't enjoy it that much. It looks fantastic. All that gel lit 2.35 photography done the way only the Japanese can do it. It drags though. Enjoyed the wacky set up. Enjoyed the cat woman ghost at the end who brought back happy memories of Monkey Magic demons but all the raping in the middle got a bit repetitive. Maybe I'm getting too old for something this grim. Christ I hope not...

* I realised after posting this that I told a lie. T
                              I recently watched The Tombs Of The Blood Mummy and that had a hell of a lot of rape. Of course it was being conducted by a Blood Mummy which significantly alters the tone of such scenes.
                              Last edited by Dom D; 11-01-2022, 11:27 PM.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X