Cynthia Rothrock's Hong Kong Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cynthia Rothrock's Hong Kong Movies

Looks like these are getting German Blu-ray releases soon.

English audio or subs TBD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FSjnW0-XoAABxHF.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	392505

Name:	FSjnXoxWQAEqn4l.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	392506
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ian, there's no plural here; it's the same movie with different covers. Ultra Force 2 is the German title, and In the Line of Duty 2 is the international title. Same film. The original HK English title is YES, MADAM! It also stars Michelle Khan (aka Michelle Yeoh) and Tsui Hark is even in it.

Ultra Force/In the Line of Duty is aka Royal Warriors (made the year after part 2) and the two films are not related. Cynthia Rothrock isn't in it, but Michelle Khan is. There are many more sequels but they star Cynthia Khan and all films were made as stand-alone films and then later scooped up for this fake "series".
    Jack J
    Last edited by Jack J; 05-12-2022, 11:41 AM.
    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking this could exist as a thread for all the movies she made in HK since there isn't one.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've seen clips of Yes Madam! and it looks great. Hope we get a R0 release eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
          I've seen clips of Yes Madam! and it looks great. Hope we get a R0 release eventually.
          A lot of German stuff like this is coded ABC, check the database at Blu-Ray.com when it hits to see, someone will have tested it within a few days of the street date in most cases.

Comment

I'm a bit torn on how I feel about Righting Wrongs. The fights and stunts are very cool. The leads did a fine job and I especially enjoyed Melvin Wong's character. That said, there is far too much time devoted comedic relief and side characters that are a bit annoying. I really dig films with jarring changes in tone and this film does that in spades. The ending is messed up (in a good way) and there is some shocking violence sprinkled throughout. Still, it needed more fights instead of comedy, or perhaps some sleaze.

How is Righting Wrongs regarded with HK action fans and specially Rothrock fans? Is this the mountain top or is it mostly hyped because of its rarity?

Comment

Although I only have a surface level knowledge of Hong Kong cinema, my own feeling is that 'Righting Wrongs' is legimately awesome, and absolutely one of the best '80s HK action flicks I've seen.

The fight scenes are stunning, it has a streak of violent nastiness which is rarely encountered in these kind of action/comedies, and I also feel like the amount of screentime dedicated to comic relief and general lost-in-translation bufoonery is actually quite low here compared to many '80s HK films I'm familiar with (Cynthia's other big hitter 'Yes Madam' being a case in point).
              https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
              http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out which version of RIGHTING WRONGS to watch first.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Remember being pleased with Blonde Fury when seeing it a few years ago on dvd. Not top tier Rothrock and sure to annoy those without a taste, or tolerance, for '80s HK action, but the last act had solid Rothrock action.

Comment

88 Films dropped some hints on future titles and it looks like they've got Magic Crystal in the works.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091532/
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming from Eureka in June.

Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase (First print run only) featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling
                      1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of the original theatrical cut from a brand new 2K restoration
                      1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of the international export cut from a brand new 2K restoration
                      Original Cantonese mono audio and optional “classic” English dubbed audio
                      Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
                      Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) & actor and martial artist Vincent Lyn
                      Brand new feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema | Brand new select-scene commentary with actress and martial-arts movie icon Cynthia Rothrock
                      Brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock
                      Brand new interview with Mang Hoi
                      Trailers
                      Reversible sleeve design
                      Limited Edition set of Facsimile Lobby Cards (First print run only)
                      PLUS: A Limited Edition Collector’s Booklet (First print run only) featuring new writing by James Oliver
                      This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1500x1500.
                      Limited Edition Slipcase (First print run of 2000 copies) featuring artwork by Takato Yamamato
                      1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration of the original film elements
                      Uncompressed original Japanese mono audio
                      Alternate English dubbed audio
                      Optional English subtitles
                      Brand new audio commentary by Tom Mes
                      Brand new interview with filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku
                      Original Japanese trailer
                      PLUS: A collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film

Name:	338444704_589500793202675_1715881828149829117_n.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	412085
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Top Squad (The Inspector Wears Skirts) (Ba Wong Fa) (Hong Kong, 1988) 3/10 **

When Cynthia Rothrock isn’t in the film, which is all but the first 5 minutes and last 20, it sucks hard. Very little action and stupid, dim-witted comedy. There is an unintentionally funny musical number in a roller rink somewhere in the middle. Rothrock does kick so much ass in the opening minutes. It’s a great scene. The German Mediabook looks and sounds great.

Comment

Yeah, that one was... hard work. I think I spent a lot of it asleep.

Totally up for re-visiting 'Lady Reporter' however.
                          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ordered Lady Reporter. Which version should I watch first?

Comment

Working...
                            X