Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster

Just came across this article this morning, it's been some time since we've heard what's up with this project. I can't be the only WKW fan here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wkw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	362868

"It's five years since the last film from the great Chinese director Wong Kar-Wai. It's eight since his last Chinese-language film, "2046." And depending on your tolerance for the latter, it's twelve since his last great film, "In The Mood For Love." But Kar-Wai has such a hugely impressive body of work behind him -- from "Ashes Of Time" to "Chungking Express" -- that anything he does will have a fever-pitch of anticipation behind it, and that only seems to get greater the longer he takes with his latest project, "The Grandmaster."

A biopic of legendary martial artist Ip Man (Tony Leung), a legendary master of Wing Chun who taught Bruce Lee, among many others, the film also stars Zhang Ziyi, Chen Chang and Song Hye-Ko and began filming two-and-a-half years ago, in December 2009. But in true Wong fashion, the epic shoot lasted for nearly two years, on-and-off (shooting was still taking place late last year and there is more to come -- more on that in a moment). There was no sign of the film at Cannes last year, and all we have to prove that the film actually exists is a teaser trailer that premiered nearly 18 months ago."

More at the link. I dunno if we need another Ip Man film but I'll give anything WKW does a chance. The man has a vision to be sure, and pretty much oozes talent.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

well, if nothing else...Zhang Ziyi & Song Hye-Ko are serious upgrades to any of the chicks that were present in the Wilson Yip biopics.

Comment

Heard about this so long ago, can't wait for it to be released.

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Full trailer:

http://you.video.sina.com.cn/api/sin...BM1E+GhI/s.swf
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, I have to say that trailer has me pretty damn psyched.

Comment

New poster, by way of City On Fire.
              Attached Files
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I like that it's a period piece but I was hoping the fight scenes would be shot more in a classic-style, this looked a little to Matrixy for me, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Comment

According to Variety the movie going to open in Berlinale in Feb. but out of competition (after it premieres in China in January).

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...SSNewsFilmNews

So with that said, hopefully more info on a wider release will follow. If this plays NYC theaters I might actually leave the apt. to go see it.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Twitch has got some cool behind the scenes videos up on their site here.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      According to Variety the movie going to open in Berlinale in Feb. but out of competition (after it premieres in China in January).

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...SSNewsFilmNews

So with that said, hopefully more info on a wider release will follow.
                      And it did.

The Weinstein Group have picked up the movie for domestic distribution according to Variety.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some pretty cool interview transcripts from Berlinale with Wong Kar Wai and his cast and crew posted at Twitch.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You can get the Blu-ray steel book from Yesasai - a bargain at only $59.99 plus shipping!

http://www.yesasia.com/1033045722-0-0-0-en/info.html
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

US trailer!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ok, so first reaction after viewing this one. (I literally just finished, so please forgive me if my thoughts are a little scattered)

Overall, I'd say I found this to be a gorgeous film, with a handful of excellent fight scenes and absolutely mesmerizing performances from the two leads. But I'd also say it's a deeply flawed film that is too elliptical in its plotting and has some structural problems. For example, there is a character who has several substantial scenes devoted to him, yet by the end of the film I could not have said what connection he had to the two leads or what purpose his story served for the overall narrative. Likewise, towards the middle of the film, the setting jumps from the 1940's to the 1950's and back again at least half a dozen times in a way that I don't particularly think helped the pacing of the film.

All that being said, I am a big Wong Kar Wai fan, and I don't think anyone who goes in as an admirer of his work (as opposed to going in looking for something in the style of Donnie Yen's Ip Man films) is going to be disappointed. As is typical for his movies, it's an absolute feast for the senses and it's very easy to get swept away by the lush romanticism, the tremendous score, the gorgeous costumes, settings etc. and adore it, even if the plot doesn't hook you.

The biggest surprise for me was the extent and the quality of the martial arts segments. Even knowing the context/story demanded fight scenes, I expected them to be relatively minimal since it's a Wong Kar Wai film, after all. That wasn't actually the case though...while WKW's emphasis was definitely not on making a "martial arts film", per se and seemed to be more interested in the historical and romantic aspects of the story -- the fights were plentiful and pretty great. I'm sure some will dislike how stylized they were, but for me they were still quite effective and always beautifully staged and shot.

So, far from a perfect film -- but for me, at least, an enormously satisfying one (and one I hope I get to see on the big screen.)

Comment

Working...
                              X