Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jackie Chan Thread

Jackie Chan announced this at Cannes:

"He made his name as a martial arts hero with a comic edge, but after 100 films Jackie Chan has announced he is retiring as an action star.

The 58-year-old admitted he was 'too old' for stunts now and increasing violence in the wider world had put him off.

Aked why he had decided to stop making action films he said the physical strain had become too much."

Chinese Zodiac, his latest, will be his last action film. You can't really blame the guy, he's pushing 60 - but this is still a little sad.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I thought he announced he was retiring a couple of years ago?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

He did. Apparantly that was a practice run.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Does that mean he is going to retire from action commercials as well?

Comment

He later clarified what he actually meant...

"Today I was shocked when I woke up to read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing Action movies.
          I just want to let everyone know that I am not retiring from doing action movies. What I meant to say is that I need to do less of the life risking stunts on my movies. After all these years of doing so many stunts and breaking so many bones, I need to take better care of my body so I can keep working.
          I will continue to do international action movies."
          -Jackie Chan..
          So there you go...it's his usual annual announcement that he wants to slow down on the big action SCENES....which is fair enough at his age....

It has been proved that you can still make good action movies WITHOUT risking life and limb..just make sure you make GOOD action moives Jackie!!

Comment

Yeah, good is definintely the key word. Some of his recent stuff has been alright though.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I honestly haven't watched any of his movies since he made KARATE KID (which was, incidentally, FAR better than it should have been!!!)..and I missed a few others before that...I was a BIG fan of his since accidentally picking up POLICE STORY by accident when there was nothing else left in the video rental store (remember THEM????)...and pretty much religiously watched his movies and back catalogue.....I even enjoyed RUSH HOUR for what it was....but SOMETIMES he pushes my loyalty to the limit....but we will always have the classic Jackie movies to watch....I hope he DOES get involved with some good directors/writers and makes movies that he deserves....must be annoying for him now though, especially in USA where he has to take direction from people like RATNER who couldnt direct their way out of a paper bag!!!

Comment

No matter how crappy his modern films are he made Legend of Drunken Master II, one of the best martial art films I've ever seen.

Comment

Very true.

Out of all the modern ones, I'd say Little Big Soldier is probably his best. It's a little corny at times but it's a nice mix of action and comedy, the kind he does well. He doesn't go completely over the top with the martial arts, though he struts his stuff a few times, but instead actually manages to craft a good character instead. He's not maybe reinventing himself with the role, it's definitely a 'Jackie Chan' part, but he does it will. I really enjoyed it.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Cool, I'll check that out as I'd like to watch something of his that's even remotely close to the quality of his classic stuff, I always liked the references to Buster Keaton he'd sneak into some of his action scenes.

Comment

I'm going to miss him especially when he's kicking some 鬼佬 ass onscreen. :bruce:

Comment

Just read he is setting up an english language "buddy" movie for his next release....

Hope they team him up with someone good and not annoying this time...Maybe Rob Schneider???

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                          I honestly haven't watched any of his movies since he made KARATE KID (which was, incidentally, FAR better than it should have been!!!)
                          shit.. does that mean i have to sit down and actually give this a chance? i've been skipping past this movie like i was gonna catch something!
                          www.facebook.com/jasonfresta

Comment

Originally posted by jason fresta View Post
                            shit.. does that mean i have to sit down and actually give this a chance? i've been skipping past this movie like i was gonna catch something!
                            LOL...I liked it more than I thought I would...It was NOT my decision to watch it in the first place, but it was an entertaining update on the original..and JC was good in it....

HOWEVER, i would like to state for the record that I cannot LEGALLY be held responsible for my comments if they cause you to actually sit down and watch the movie....nor can I be held responsible for your emotional reaction to the aforementioned film. you must accept full responsibility for your decision...just stating now before any action is taken!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                              LOL...I liked it more than I thought I would...It was NOT my decision to watch it in the first place, but it was an entertaining update on the original..and JC was good in it....

HOWEVER, i would like to state for the record that I cannot LEGALLY be held responsible for my comments if they cause you to actually sit down and watch the movie....nor can I be held responsible for your emotional reaction to the aforementioned film. you must accept full responsibility for your decision...just stating now before any action is taken!!!
                              sorry... when signing into rockshockpop... you agree to be held fully accountable for your words at all times. it's right there in the FAQ. :P
                              www.facebook.com/jasonfresta

Comment

Working...
                              X