The Jackie Chan Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
    I went to see THE FOREIGNER last night and it was alright & certainly one of Jackie's better Western movies in recent memory but not without its flaws. My chief complaint being Jackie's vengeance really takes second fiddle to the internal power struggle & back dealings between hardline old school IRA factions and Brosnan's politically expedient character. Yes, I'm sure the Leather novel focuses much its plot on this aspect but when the main selling point of this action film is Jackie Chan's vendetta against his daughter's killers -- then it's a bit of letdown. The other issue for me was Jackie looks so haggard and scruffy and for sure, during his bereavement period, it all fits well & dandy but he keeps this same downtrodden taciturn demeanor for the entire movie and it really does him no favors. Heck, Pierce Brosnan is older and he still looked more spry and full of vigor in comparison. Kinda weird but I kept conjuring up images of Johnny Hallyday in VENGEANCE because both looked older than dirt and both had the same befuddled look on their faces the entire movie. This film left me wanting at the end. Not enough violent action and the whole IRA angle seemed anachronistic in this contemporary setting.
    I saw this tonight, mostly cause I felt this would be my last chance to see Jackie in the Cinema, and I mostly agree with you. Had I not known this was based on a novel, I would have guessed this was two scripts merged into one, as the Chan vigilante part and the political thriller parts seem like two different stories. Both stories are pretty good and well developed though, and the film is competently made with some good action.

The whole two stories in one is to big an issue to look past though as it makes an otherwise good film feel lesser then it really ought to.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Universal is giving The Foreigner a Blu-ray/DVD release on 1/9/18.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• This is out next month. Jackie's keeping busy.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• 4K Restoration of POLICE STORY is going to screen at MOMA on January 26

Comment

• I'd consider leaving the house for that.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• If you manage to escape the house, please report back on the restoration. (i.e. is it piss yellow.)

Comment

• Will do.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Teaser poster for Knight Of Shadows: Walker Between Half Worlds, which starts shooting soon and sees Jackie Chan playing some sort of... demon hunter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DTv6yYpWsAUzxEu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	353557
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• First look at Jackie Chan from Vash's 'Knight of Shadows'

http://cityonfire.com/jackie-chan-to...en-halfworlds/
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Per Amazon UK, Police Story 1 & 2 limited edition Blu-ray set is coming in August from Eureka

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                        Per Amazon UK, Police Story 1 & 2 limited edition Blu-ray set is coming in August from Eureka
                        Any word if Criterion will secure US rights? I take it that Miramax still owns the rights to the third movie. Glad that fucker Weinstein is being convicted and losing his assets. That's the only way all the Asian movies he's been bogarting all these years finally sees the light of day with another distributor not too mention all the other Asian flicks he's butchered with bad dubs and shit editing. He needs to get repeatedly ass raped in prison just for what he's done to Asian films let alone his other 'discretions'. I heard some Arab group is seeking to buy his film and TV rights. So who knows what they'll do with the library?

Comment

• Miramax seems to still have the UK and US rights to the third film. Given all the films that they licensed in the 90s that have already reverted to the original licensor, I really figured/hoped those rights would be expiring sometime soon.

About a US release, I don't know. Brandon Bentley/OldPangYau posted on the Blu-ray.com forum that there is a rumor that Janus picked up the US rights, but until someone hears something official, who knows.

Comment

• Ok, here is what OldPangYau was talking about
                            A small update, everyone. After I made contact with Fortune Star, the guy who runs the local film house here in Cleveland asked to take over all of the communication. I sent him an e-mail last night, just to ask if he'd made any progress, and he replied:

"Janus owns the U.S. rights to POLICE STORY now and will re-release it this fall. So we will be showing it."

So, that's something.
                            I guess we'll know if it is true in the fall.

Comment

• Cover art for the Eureka Police Story set.

Name:	51KkeoMd2kL.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	354491
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Eureka is releasing City Hunter!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Hunter...g=bluraycom-21

Product Description
                                Jackie Chan stars as the girl-chasing private detective Ryo Saeba in this hilarious live-action adaptation of the popular Japanese manga series, City Hunter, presented from a stunning new 2K restoration!

Hired to track down Shizuko Imamura, the runaway daughter of a publishing tycoon, Ryo initially turns the job down... until he sees a picture of the missing woman! Ryo eventually finds her aboard a luxury cruise ship, but much to the annoyance of his exasperated assistant Carrie ( Joey Wang, A Chinese Ghost Story), Ryo seems more interested in catching Shizuko s attention than returning her safely to her father. When terrorists hijack the ship, Ryo must put his romantic feelings aside and swing into action to dispatch the bad guys and save the day.

Packed with inventive action sequences coordinated by an at his peak Chan, City Hunter is one of the most visually creative films of Jackie s career - with a vibrant cinematography and a quirky sense of humour. Eureka Classics is proud to present the film for the first time in the UK on Blu-ray.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited edition slipcase (First print run only)
                                Stunning 1080p presentation from a brand new 2K restoration
                                Original Cantonese mono audio track (also available in 5.1 presentation)
                                Optional English and Mandarin audio tracks | Interviews with Jackie Chan
                                Interview with director Wong Jing
                                Interview with stuntman and long-time member of Jackie Chan s stunt team, Rocky Lai
                                The Jackie Chan Experience - an interview with Richard Norton
                                Evolution of a Fighter - an interview with Gary Daniels
                                Outtake montage
                                A Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film (First print run only)

Review
                                "Lively and stylish" --LA Times

"City Hunter is stylistically rich, and about as perfect a comic book adaptation as you could ask for" --Silveremulsion.com

Name:	A1qiYUlNHsL._SL1500_.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	354629
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X