Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Seventh Curse (1986)

Yuan Zhen-Xia yu Wei Si-Li

So who else loves this bat shit crazy film with Chow Yun Fat and Maggie Cheung?!?!?!

It's about a cop (Siu-hou Chin) who has to travel to Thailand stop this curse that was put on him along with a beautiful girl Betsy (Sau-Lai Tsui) by an evil sorcerer (Elvis Tsui). This also features a skeleton fight that ranks up there with A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and Jason and the Argonauts, along with creature that looks like the Alien... only if it could fly!

I wouldn't recommend reading the IMDB plot as it gives too much away, but just go see this blazing badassary for yourself. The film is only about 77 minutes long and 90% of it is action!

And it's by the director of The Story of Ricky.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I saw this a few years ago and really liked it. Haven't watched it since (I'm 99% sure I borrowed the old R3 DVD from Noland!) but would gladly check it out again. I don't think this ever got a domestic DVD release, did it? Next time I do the DDD House thing I should snag it.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's one of those movies I read about when I first started getting fairly knowledgeable about HK films -- in the book that I considered to be the bible of the genre: Thomas Weisser's ASIAN CULT CINEMA. He absolutely loved it, which made me want to see it. I remember very distinctly him writing about Chow "blowing the hell out of a creature with a rocket launcher", and a creature "ripping the head off a victim and drinking blood from the stump".

Forgot to keep looking after a while, though. So thanks for the reminder!
        www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
          And it's by the director of The Story of Ricky.
          All you need to know right there!!!!

Watched this again last night...

I was also impressed by Chow Yun Fat's channeling of Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes!!!

It is from a time where the plot didn't really have to make sense...the kinetic almost non-stop action was most important......Not sure why CHOW did this one though???...It's short, mad, all over the place and full of action = an enjoyable movie!!

Comment

This is now pretty hard to find. When this thread started way back when I went looking for it, it's long oop.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some here...but a bit pricey!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

and you can buy the VCD here..

http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-se...0-en/info.html

Here's what you are missing...isn't that the suit from AvsP??

Comment

I've got a DVD-R of the long OOP Tai Seng 1st release but I understand that the Fortune Star remastered version looks better.

That clip makes me smile.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didnt even realise FORTUNE STAR had remastered this one.....

That clip takes me back tot he mad mad days of HK movies and CAT 3 shenanigans...a very happy time to be a DVD collector!!!

Comment

Agreed. When the format first hit and all those cheap low quality discs were coming out of places like DDDhouse, I was going nuts. I still have a lot of those old discs. I get kind of nostalgic for them.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Agreed. When the format first hit and all those cheap low quality discs were coming out of places like DDDhouse, I was going nuts. I still have a lot of those old discs. I get kind of nostalgic for them.
                      Quality was ropey on the best of them....but yeah, getting a big order in from DDDHOUSE for peanuts where a lot were surprising blind buys was an amazing time to be DVD collector...Bunman, Dr Lamb, J Chan movies, ....all kinds of genre that had a wild, uncontrollable atmosphere to them...many happy hours sitting through unknown clasics like TIGER ON BEAT or SEVENTH CURSE, STORY OF RIKKI...and not having seen ANYTHING like them before...or after.....

SEVENTH CURSE was a grand WTF movie..and a good double bill with STORY OF RIKKI OH!!

Comment

I picked this one up years ago and never got around to watching it. I should fix that. I think I have the Fortune Star release.

Comment

If you watch it and hate it late me know!
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            If you watch it and hate it late me know!
                            I can smell a cunning plan from Mr Jane!!!

Comment

I first came across TSC on late night SBS. I had a terrible flu or some kind of uncommon cold with a massive temperature and couldn't sleep. TSC fit right into my delirium at the time though for years afterwards I almost wondered if I imagined the film until I found it on a HK DVD.

The problem with the Hong Kong DVD imports from Asia is that the subtitles are so ropey. They make the films out to be even stupidier than they are and even if it's clear what's going on they really do lower the percieved quality of what your watching. How hard is it to find someone who speaks English to write your subtitles?
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X