No announcement yet.

John Woo's Hard Boiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try and make it but I got relatives visiting from out of state during that screening. I missed THE BETTER TOMORROW showings a couple months ago due to some family business. So I want to make an earnest effort to go to this one at least especially with John Woo being present.

Comment

It's playing here next week from a 35mm print too, but Woo isn't going to be in attendance so West Coast wins.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        I didn't catch up with John Woo till quite late because to young me Hong Kong films were about Kung Fu and really gross horror not gun play. So I didn't catch up with his earlier stuff till he was making it in Hollywood. Hard Boiled was the first one I saw. Gotta say I didn't and don't get the excitement. Maybe it looked different and fresh in the 80s but these days I'm not sure there's much to the action that you can't see in any Hollywood action film and there's not a lot going on anywhere else in these films to keep you interested.

I did quite like Broken Arrow but. Not even trolling...
        I would defy you to find any Hollywood film featuring a shootout like the warehouse shootout in HARD-BOILED, or the raids on the church and house in THE KILLER.

But I feel you guys miss the beauty of the films from angles not action-associated. In HARD-BOILED, the scenes where Chow tangles with Tony for the first time on the steps are so stunningly staged, as is Tony's first scene with his triad boss. Woo's HK films feature subtle dramatic confrontation that is missing entirely from HARD TARGET and BROKEN ARROW, two films I can barely watch these days knowing what Hollywood compromses they were for Woo.

Try HARD-BOILED, THE KILLER, BULLET IN THE HEAD, and JUST HEROES again, and focus on the non-action conflicts.

Of course, I may be alone with my view, so, that's life!

Comment

I'm going to this screening. Booked!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelGuts View Post
            I'm going to this screening. Booked!
            Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend but I will live vicariously through you haha, Please fill us in on how the event went in terms of the atmosphere, John Woo being in attendance, etc.

Comment

HARD-BOILED, THE KILLER, BULLET IN THE HEAD

So why are there not special edition Blu-rays of these films?

Comment

Mei Ah is releasing a Blu-ray in HK next month.

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_...8&LanguageID=0

It's touted as 'digitally remastered' but... who knows.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Keeth View Post
                  HARD-BOILED, THE KILLER, BULLET IN THE HEAD

So why are there not special edition Blu-rays of these films?
                  If you have to have a physical copy, the best version of Hard Boiled is HKR's custom Blu Ray. I've ordered from Jacob multiple times and never had an issue but others have had all kinds of problems ordering from him. With that caveat, here's his email:

jrodefeld@gmail.com

He also sells digital downloads of his customs at a reduced price but they are huge ass .iso files. Ian has mentioned he doesn't mind promoting his customs here as he is the only one that is doing justice to these movies by putting them out with the best possible video and audio options.

Comment

My order from him took a while to arrive and the first disc had a crack in it, but after I e-mailed him about it he sent out a replacement in double quick time. It looked lovely - especially after only having access to the really dark and murky print Tartan put out back in the 90s - and it was wonderful to have all those extras together in one place.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it!

Comment

That was awesome. :)

Comment

It really does put any of the studio releases out there to shame.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Amazing that a fan can put that shit together. Bring on A Better Tomorrow. And A Better Tomorrow II

Comment

And Full Contact and The Killer.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X