John Woo's Hard Boiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Woo's Hard Boiled

I just wanted to link to our first ever review with Blu-ray screen caps is all.

DIG IT.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It has been dug.

They are clickable... CLICKABLE!!!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Awesome!! I love John Woo so getting any of his films on Blu-ray is a treat for me even if it's subpar. I am still stoked I have The Killer (one of my personal favorite films) on Blu-ray even as bad as the transfer is.

Comment

I still have to see this especially since Anthony Wong plays a badass bad guy!
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Definitely worth seeing!!

Comment

I like it better than The Killer. I know that's blasphemy to some but I always wind up comparing The Killer to Le Samourai and Le Samourai beats it. I don't do that with Hard Boiled, I just get to love it for what it is, rather than compare it to what it isn't.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I remember when this first came out on VHS with the only option being a Dutch release which a friend imported to the UK. When it arrived my friend had to work all day but let us take it away so we could watch it. We watched it twice back to back. It blew our minds.

A couple of years ago a different friend gave me a big box of VHS tapes and inside was that very same Dutch VHS.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Comment

Nice. I always liked how the producers milked that image of CYF and the baby for all it was worth. So melodramatic.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Gory View Post
                  I love John Woo so getting any of his films on Blu-ray is a treat for me even if it's subpar.
                  I saw it in the cinemas, a number of times, on original release in its theatrical version (which runs around 122m and is missing a LOT of the "impact" violence) and I can comfortably say that anyone expecting to see the film looking "awesome" on Blu was never going to get that super HD buzz out of it. I saw the film literally weeks out of release from HK, as we used to get HK movies pretty swift to the Chinese cinemas here in Australia in the day, and the (first) print was already banged-up, scratched and splicy through both HK censorship and print damage. The film always looked like it was made on a budget, as well as that cold, colour-degraded look that filmmakers love today. If prints were buggered in '92, then I can't imagine there's been much left to work with over the years for DVD and now BD. I'll be buying this one as soon as I can afford it ;)

Comment

I never expect it to be on par with other films as far as transfers go. I know by and large a lot of HK films, especially from the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's, are not stored well and would require a lot of money to restore them which I doubt anyone would since they're not big sellers. I go mad to get them but I know these releases aren't raking in the cash for companies.

On a side note, I wonder if A Better Tomorrow will find its way to Blu-ray?

Comment

Originally posted by Gory View Post
                      IOn a side note, I wonder if A Better Tomorrow will find its way to Blu-ray?
                      The three of them and Bullet In The Head would all make me very happy.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        I like it better than The Killer. I know that's blasphemy to some but I always wind up comparing The Killer to Le Samourai and Le Samourai beats it. I don't do that with Hard Boiled, I just get to love it for what it is, rather than compare it to what it isn't.
                        The Killer is more Magnificent Obsession by-way-of Le Samourai, to me, but I completely agree - I like the fun CYF over the serious, dour CYF.
                        It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Nolando View Post
                          Magnificent Obsession
                          That's the Douglas Sirk/Rock Hudson movie, right? I saw it ages ago and don't remember it well enough to make the comparison.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            That's the Douglas Sirk/Rock Hudson movie, right?
                            It's one of the Sirk/Hudson movies, yes - or from the "Rock Hudson/Jane Wyman" series. It's no All That Heaven Allows but it's damn fine. The first synopsis I heard for The Killer was "Magnificent Obsession directed by Sam Peckinpah." I think it's still valid even with the massive nod to Le Samourai.
                            It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Missed this one at the arthouse screening upon release.

Watched it countless times on VHS.

Dont think i bothered on DVD...until last week.

Still holds up well..even today.

Whatever happened to John Woo???...Seemed like he had a bright future at one point!!

Comment

Working...
                              X