X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong to Censor, Retroactively Ban Films Due to National Security Law

This isn't good.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-2-1235002085/

"Hong Kong, once the most vibrant and creative film production hub in East Asia, is set to institute tougher censorship and production laws for new films released in the city as well as retroactively vet films previously cleared for release for breaches of the territory's national security law.

The new censorship rules give Hong Kong's censor wider powers and also increases the maximum penalty for unauthorized screenings to three years in prison and a $128,000 (HK$1,000,000) fine.

The changes proposed to the Film Censorship Ordinance, set to be tabled next week, are yet another measure that will undermine artistic freedom in the semi-autonomous city, and give further credence to critics of the Hong Kong government who fear full China-style political and cultural censorship."

More at the link.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

If only 47Lab were here to give us the official party line.

Decades of history could be obliterated. They certainly won't allow them to be exported anymore so I guess what we have now in our collections/ dodgy download versions is as good as it's going to get.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

The are terrified of free thought and creativity.
      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Fucking commies! :down:

Reagan was right all along.
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
          Fucking commies! :down:

Reagan was right all along.
          Sounds like they're more worried about Regan and democracy and the like than Amy Yips tits? Hopefully the category 3 films aren't a focus at all.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
            Sounds like they're more worried about Regan and democracy and the like than Amy Yips tits? Hopefully the category 3 films aren't a focus at all.
            I don't think that's how they want China being represented internationally. I can imagine them banning anything that doesn't look like one of those big cgi crapfests that they currently shit out to international apathy. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm with the Swede when it come to not trusting those goddamn reds!
            agent999
            Last edited by agent999; 08-24-2021, 05:11 PM.
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
              Sounds like they're more worried about Regan and democracy and the like than Amy Yips tits?
              I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm pretty sure Yip's tits are illegal in mainland Chiba.

edit: Mainland China, not Chiba dammit.
              Takuma
              Last edited by Takuma; 08-25-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm pretty sure Yip's tits are illegal in mainland Chiba.
                What a deplorable state of affairs.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I think this was an inevitable. And makes bootleggers like Hong Kong Rescue much more important.

Comment

No Blu-ray upgrade for this gem I guess!

Comment

The same censoring and cancelling is being carried out here but It's by the Social Media oligarchs rather than the Government. They even censor top government figures. Imagine China allowing oligarchs to censor Xi Jinping.
                      Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Just for that, I'll watch "Girls from China" and "Mainland Prostitute" this weekend. We'll see how much Xi likes them apples.

Comment

Originally posted by mjeon View Post
                          Just for that, I'll watch "Girls from China" and "Mainland Prostitute" this weekend. We'll see how much Xi likes them apples.
                          Fight the power!

Comment

I'm not sure what Xi would make of “Girls from China.” The message is mixed. The girls dressed like PLA cadres in the advertising are sadly just a tease. Isabelle Chow starts off as de Sade's Justine and transforms into Julliette. A naí¯ve from Beijing (as the grating theme song insists) comes to the “capitalist city,” ie Hong Kong, to live with her great uncle only to find every man she meets tries to rape her. She comes across a handsome and sensitive artist whom she quickly falls in love with. He advises her that being kind and thoughtful will carry her to success. It seems to work but the envious Hong Kongers frame her for a crime. She then runs into a chum (Pauline Chan) who tells her to leverage her glorious body to get ahead. She gives it a shot and this strategy really works. She snags another handsome and sensitive artist, who this time also happens to be wealthy, when out of the blue, it is revealed that she is a virtuoso violinist. They get married. She then frames her first handsome and sensitive artist boyfriend so that the police kill him; and she lives happily ever after.

The picture and sound of the Mei Ah VCD are excellent.

Comment

Sad news indeed. :(

ABC in OZ also wrote about it:
                              https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...rity/100404326
                              2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Working...
                              X