• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow releasing both Fukasaku & Miike's Graveyard of Honor on Blu

Here is the awful art

And here are the details

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Exclusive two-disc set featuring two different versions of Graveyard of Honor: the 1975 film by Kinji Fukasaku and the 2002 film by Takashi Miike
    Limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan
    Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on both films by Jasper Sharp

DISC ONE - GRAVEYARD OF HONOR (1975)

High Definition Blu-rayâ„¢ (1080p) presentation
    Original lossless Japanese PCM 1.0 mono soundtrack
    Optional English subtitles
    New audio commentary by author and critic Mark Schilling
    Like a Balloon: The Life of a Yakuza, a new visual essay by critic and Projection Booth podcast host Mike White
    A Portrait of Rage, an archival appreciation of Fukasaku and his films, featuring interviews with filmmakers, scholars, and friends of the director
    On the Set with Fukasaku, an archival interview with assistant director Kenichi Oguri
    Theatrical trailer
    Imagery gallery
    Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan

DISC TWO - GRAVEYARD OF HONOR (2002)

High Definition Blu-rayâ„¢ (1080p) presentation
    Original lossless Japanese PCM 2.0 stereo soundtrack
    Optional English subtitles
    New audio commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes
    New visual essay by author and critic Kat Ellinger
    Archival “interview special” featuring Miike and cast members Goro Kishitani and Narimi Arimori
    Archival “making-of” featurette
    Archival “making-of” teaser
    Archival press release interviews featuring Miike, Kishitani and Arimori
    Archival “premiere special” featuring Miike, Kishitani and Arimori
    Theatrical trailer
    Imagery gallery
    Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan

has to win the prize for ugliest artwork of recent years, looks like tetsuya watari is like 12 years old.

Comment

I hate Ian MacEwan's faux manga style. It doesn't fit these films at all, I don't know why Arrow continues to use him.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
        I hate Ian MacEwan's faux manga style. It doesn't fit these films at all, I don't know why Arrow continues to use him.
        I personally like his art a lot. Especially on the remake cover with the bodies in the hair. The good news is that these should have reverse cover art.

Comment

If they have reverse art, I'm fine with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
            has to win the prize for ugliest artwork of recent years, looks like tetsuya watari is like 12 years old.
            yes. They could have done a lot better with those cover arts, I don't even know why they don't use the face of the actors in the movie they illustrate

Comment

Originally posted by tetrapak View Post
              yes. They could have done a lot better with those cover arts, I don't even know why they don't use the face of the actors in the movie they illustrate
              I think the remake cover has a decent likeness to Goro Kishitani. Either way, these will have reverse cover art so you can have the original posters as your cover. I'm just happy that we are finally getting these on Blu-ray.

Comment

Can't it just be a thing that alot of people think these original artworks stink (never mind reversing or not, and let's not question why they have to be there in the first place).

As for the release I see no need in getting Miike's version again over the AnimEigo one, on the other hand Fukasakus will be a big upgrade over the old Eureka release and you don't have to get the hideous box :)! going this way.

Comment

Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
                  As for the release I see no need in getting Miike's version again over the AnimEigo one, on the other hand Fukasakus will be a big upgrade over the old Eureka release and you don't have to get the hideous box :)! going this way.
                  I am actually thinking about reversing the cover of the Fukasaku film, giving the Miike film away to some friend and throwing away the box

-----------------------------------------> just kidding, I simply agree they could release it a single film and maybe adding the Miike film as an extra in the Fukasaku disc, just like they did with "Trapped in Lust" in the "Branded To Kill" release.
                  tetrapak
                  Last edited by tetrapak; 07-01-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not fussed about the Miike film either (still just can't get into his stuff, despite taking a run at it every few years). I might wait it out for the (hopefully) inevitable solo release of the Fukasaku.

In fairness to the cover artist, the background detail and text looks quite good, but yeah, those character illustrations are WAY off message.

I don't remember the artist's name, but I did really like the artwork for Arrow's 'Street Mobster' and 'Doberman Cop' releases... shame they couldn't have used that person again. Might have helped bring a sense of continuity to their Fukasaku releases too. (Above all else though, three cheers to them for having released a fairly high proportion of his best yakuza films on blu-ray at this point, regardless of what they choose to put on the front.)
                    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm a huge Fukasaku fan, but I think the Miike version is the superior film mainly due to Goro Kishitani's performance. It's something out of this world. Tetsuya Watari is no slouch either as it's probably his best performance overall.

As for the covers, I still think they look great. Ian MacEwan did the cover art to the first Arrow release I ever bought (Massacre Gun) and has done a lot of great art for Arrow over the years. Cops Vs Thugs springs to mind. Either way, the art on the remake looks fantastic and truly happy to be getting both of these in HD. The HVE release of the original needed an upgrade, and while the AnimEigo release of the remake wasn't horrible for a DVD it still left a lot of room for improvement which hopefully this release will give to both of them.

Comment

This was Watari's Toei debut, btw. Here's the original teaser poster:

男の東映、その荒海で思う存分暴れたい!
                        渡哲也、話題の東映第一回主演。

"Men's Toei! I want to go wild in that rough sea!"
                        "Tetsuya Watari's first Toei starring role."

(A little difficult to translate but that's roughly what it says, I think).

And while we're at it:

Comment

Are these similar/better/worse than the Battles without honour and humanity films? I liked those, but haven't seen these

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                            Are these similar/better/worse than the Battles without honour and humanity films? I liked those, but haven't seen these
                            In my humble opinion, the Battles without Honor and Humanity films are a bit over-rated (though I really like Hiroshima Death Match and Boss's Head).

Graveyard of Honor (1975) on the other hand is... absolutely fucking amazing. One of the most hard hitting films I have ever seen. I felt like having met angry an Mike Tyson after seeing the film in 35mm about 6 years ago (I watched it back to back with Gambling Den Heist and Authentic True Account: Osaka Shock Tactics).

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                              Slightly better.

Street Mobster, Graveyard of Honor, Yakuza Graveyard, Gamblers in Okinawa (Sympthy for the Underdog DVD title), Outlaw Killers: Three Mad Dog Brothers are his best imo (in no particular order, and where is the release of last mentioned one?!)

Still haven't seen Ceremony of Disbanding (1967) 解散式, pretty sure it doesn't have a fansub yet though

Comment

Working...
                              X