Arrow Releasing Inferno Of Torture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Releasing Inferno Of Torture

Another title coming from Arrow in July.

“Exploitation legend Teruo Ishii (Horrors of Malformed Men, Orgies of Edo) delivers one of his most extreme visions of violent eroticism in this, the sixth in his abnormal love series. Tattoos and torture await women forced into servitude in Ishii's Inferno of Torture.

Unable to repay a local lender, Yumi (Yumika Katayama) takes up an offer to serve as a geisha for two years with a promise of freedom once her debt is repaid. She quickly realizes that this is less a house of geishas than an extremely cruel brothel specializing in supplying western visitors with tattooed playthings. Taken under the wing of one of the leading tattoo artists vying for a coveted spot in the Shogun's good graces through his work, Yumi's body becomes a battleground as a rival artist becomes determined not to lose his spot at the top. When the madam, Otatsu (Mieko Fujimoto) trains her eye on the blossoming relationship between the benevolent artist Horihide (Teruo Yoshida) and his model, she makes sure than her stay is less than hospitable, inspiring the torturous inferno of the title.

Following Ishii's legendary Shogun's Joy of Torture and Orgies of Edo, the prolific filmmaker still manages to turn up the heat in this incredibly violent and salacious entry in a filmography unlike any other. From the film's opening scene depicting some of the most perverse violence ever captured on screen, through to the shock ending that will leave the audience's mouths agape, there's nothing quite like Inferno of Torture. Tender romance clashes with vile sadism as a sea of tattooed female flesh floods nearly every frame of this film depicting Japan's Edo period as only Ishii could.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation

- Original uncompressed mono audio

- Optional English subtitles

- Audio Commentary by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes

- Erotic Grotesque Nonsense & the Foundations of Japan's Cult Counterculture - a condensed version of Jasper Sharp's Miskatonic Institute lecture

- Trailer

- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips

Click image for larger version

Name:	45408_X_INFERNO_OF_TORTURE_FLAT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	370191
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I wish Arrow could arrange a last moment interview with actress Yumiko Katayama. She attended the film's screening about 5 years ago in Tokyo and had fantastic stories about the making of the film, including how Tomisaburo Wakayama humiliated her as a punishment for appearing in this film (it seems Wakayama hated Ishii's ero films).

Comment

I've bitched bout this before, but here I go again. Unfortunately since Marc Walkow stopped working for them, Arrow seems to have no interest in getting interviews with people in Japan for these releases and they are worse off for it.

Comment

Feeling a yen for "the kite flying of women," I had put the old Dutch DVD (Japan Shock, 2005) of this film in the to-watch pile. Now I think I'll suppress the temptation of viewing it until I can do so on blu-ray (a kind of little torture for me). JS also issued Shogun's Sadism (Ushiaki No Kei, 2003) and Shoguns [sic] Joy of Torture (Tokugawa Onna Keibatushi, 2005) with English subtitles.

Comment

May be worth noting that this one hasn't passed the BBFC yet. It's been at least 10 years since I last watched it so my memory is hazy at best but I don't recall anything "worse" than what we saw in ORGIES OF EDO (which passed uncut) so I expect it to be fine. We should know for sure in a couple weeks.

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
              I've bitched bout this before, but here I go again. Unfortunately since Marc Walkow stopped working for them, Arrow seems to have no interest in getting interviews with people in Japan for these releases and they are worse off for it.
              you are right... I think the extras of their earlier sets were much more appealing because they included interviews of crews and casts...

Comment

Thankfully this went through BBFC uncut!
                https://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/inferno-torture-1969

Comment

Working...
                X