Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Star of David (aka Beautiful Girl Hunter) (1979)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Star of David (aka Beautiful Girl Hunter) (1979)

Coming soon to Blu-ray from Synapse Films!

Norifumi Suzuki's “Star of David” AKA “Beautiful Girl Hunter” (1979)!

“Checking subtitles for a movie featuring a naked woman chained with a dog collar, eating out of a dog bowl” - Don May

As far as I know Nikkatsu has not made a new master for this. Which is probably for the best at the moment considering what Nikkatsu has done for the past couple of years... ;)

So I expect it to be from the same master the Geneon DVD used which was released in 2007 and the Discotek one in 2008. And the German Blu-Ray.
    Will of course look better than the DVDs and hopefully a little bit better than the German Blu (I think they did some filtering, the top and bottom of the frame are blurred).

Comment

Masterpiece.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Someone PLEASE tell Synapse to try and get the Discotek extras! If I recall correctly, there was a Norifumi Suzuki audio commentary, and maybe an interview too? I shouldn't have sold my dvd...

Comment

We're using the HD master Nikkatsu gave us, plus the extras we were given from the previous release.
          I guess he could be talking about the Discotex extras?

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
            I guess he could be talking about the Discotex extras?
            Hopefully. Thanks!

Comment

The best Pink movie ever made.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I think this was the first Pink film that I saw after reading about it in the Mondo Macabro book. I actually found it pretty dull in between the sleazy bits, but grew to love it over the years. The Shock blu ray looks pretty good despite some issues. I wonder if the rumour that the original German cut was unfogged is true? The German cut on the blu ray is a reconstruction unfortunately. Probably another urban myth.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                  I wonder if the rumour that the original German cut was unfogged is true? The German cut on the blu ray is a reconstruction unfortunately. Probably another urban myth.
                  I can't remember the exact contents of Star of David (seen it a couple of times, including twice in 35mm), but going by what you said...

Almost certainly a myth. In soft core films the standard practice was for actors and actresses to wear crotch covers, which was no problem because the fogging or black bars would hide them anyway. So, an uncensored version usually wouldn't reveal anything too interesting.

And I find it very hard to believe any kind of "hard core version" would have been produced for this movie that is packed with "mainstream" actors and actresses (unless the Germans did their own edit with hard core inserts like the French did with Toei's Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom). The only two pre-mid 80s JP films that I'm aware of to exist in such a form are In the Realm of the Senses and Daydream (1981), both of which were made specifically for foreign distribution. Had such a version been accidentally released in Japan, it would have landed the film makers and theatre owners in prison.

This isn't an absolute "no", though. There are some odd cases like Teruo Ishii's Bohachi Bushido (1973), which lacks any censorship and you can actually clearly see the crotch covers (on DVD, and on the 35mm print that I've seen in Tokyo 2 or 3 times in the past 5 years). Cops vs. Thugs actually features a glimpse of Reiko Ike's pubic hair, and that's on DVD and 35mm as well (though the film print I saw must be a newly struck one... there's no way that could've passed the censorship in 1975). These are two cases that I can't quite explain why they exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                    I can't remember the exact contents of Star of David (seen it a couple of times, including twice in 35mm), but going by what you said...

Almost certainly a myth. In soft core films the standard practice was for actors and actresses to wear crotch covers, which was no problem because the fogging or black bars would hide them anyway. So, an uncensored version usually wouldn't reveal anything too interesting.

And I find it very hard to believe any kind of "hard core version" would have been produced for this movie that is packed with "mainstream" actors and actresses (unless the Germans did their own edit with hard core inserts like the French did with Toei's Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom). The only two pre-mid 80s JP films that I'm aware of to exist in such a form are In the Realm of the Senses and Daydream (1981), both of which were made specifically for foreign distribution. Had such a version been accidentally released in Japan, it would have landed the film makers and theatre owners in prison.

This isn't an absolute "no", though. There are some odd cases like Teruo Ishii's Bohachi Bushido (1973), which lacks any censorship and you can actually clearly see the crotch covers (on DVD, and on the 35mm print that I've seen in Tokyo 2 or 3 times in the past 5 years). Cops vs. Thugs actually features a glimpse of Reiko Ike's pubic hair, and that's on DVD and 35mm as well (though the film print I saw must be a newly struck one... there's no way that could've passed the censorship in 1975). These are two cases that I can't quite explain why they exist.
                    Are there any other uncensored Japanese films similar to Ai no korí®da & Daydream?

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                      I think this was the first Pink film that I saw after reading about it in the Mondo Macabro book. I actually found it pretty dull in between the sleazy bits, but grew to love it over the years. The Shock blu ray looks pretty good despite some issues. I wonder if the rumour that the original German cut was unfogged is true? The German cut on the blu ray is a reconstruction unfortunately. Probably another urban myth.
                      Same. Read about it in that book and knew I had to see it. Got the import DVD and it was an experience. It's almost like a proto American Psycho in some ways.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I've found where I read that. IMDB so probably horseshit!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0225458...f_=tt_ql_trv_5

Also, there's definitely an unfogged shot of a giant black triangular patch that an actress is wearing left in the film, so I suspect they all had them on during filming.
                        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Someone PLEASE tell Synapse to try and get the Discotek extras! If I recall correctly, there was a Norifumi Suzuki audio commentary, and maybe an interview too? I shouldn't have sold my dvd...
                          Don confirmed that it will have the director's commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                            Don confirmed that it will have the director's commentary.
                            Wonderful. They can consider one copy sold already!

Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
                            Are there any other uncensored Japanese films similar to Ai no korí®da & Daydream?
                            I can't think of any right now, but my knowledge of pink cinema only goes till the mid 80s (and almost nowhere in terms of actual AV).

Any others that might exist would have to be foreign releases of course. The Japanese releases would be censored.

Which reminded me of the fun story about Hitomi Kobayashi, one of the first major Japanese hard core stars... until an uncensored version was leaked and people found out she had never done a hard core scene. With all the mosaic, they had fooled people for years
                            Takuma
                            Last edited by Takuma; 04-09-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
                              There's a movie called, Dedicated to the Aegean Sea from -79 ( Dedicato al mare Egeo / エーゲ海に捧ぐ ) that was shot in italy with italian cast with a japanese director. Don't remember the full story, or where I read it, but it got confiscated once the film reached japan.

Comment

Working...
                              X