John Woo THE KILLER custom from HKR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
    How long do HKR bluray orders usually take? I broke off the The Killer an Hard Boiled on like August 27 and nothing yet. No responses to email either. Just a Paypal invoice which I sent forwar to JRodefeld and..... nothing.
    A long time judging by the comments on br.com.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

The HKR order I put in at the end of 2020 took over six months to arrive - but it did arrive, and the discs are all great, which is the main thing.

As a one-man operation, I think he basically finds it impossible to get orders processed in a timely fashion, but if you subscribe to their mailing list you'll receive regular, somewhat stressed out assurances that everyone will receive their orders eventually, and apologies for the fact that he doesn't have time to reply to everyone's emails, etc etc. So, an "it's all good - please just wait" situation basically.
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

I ordered the same as you, plus another two, on 5/25. Still waiting... Trying to be patient, but it's getting stupid. It's making me less likely to order physical-only product from him in the future.
        </grumble>

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I mean, yeah - it seems detrimental to his business as I'd be less likely to order again (although Bullet In The Head will be a must). Still, good to know all is well if that's the word for it.

Comment

I've only ever gone the 'download and burn to BD' route. I like instant gratification.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll never order from him again. It has been 9 months since I bought from him and I got nothing. He hasn't responded to questions about the order since November.

Comment

Man, sorry to hear that.

Comment

I’m in the same boat, waiting on a physical order for about 10 months now. I’d been in touch with Jacob early on to confirm a change of address with him but since then radio silence. Just yesterday I wrote to make sure that a package hadn’t been sent to the old address or anything. Who knows, this may get me put at the back of the queue but it had been long enough that I figured, well, can’t hurt to check in any more than sitting patiently and waiting has with the same result.

I’m frustrated because I placed the order expecting it to take ages, but more than six months was definitely outside of the window of what I had imagined. This may be cash thrown away at this point, but I’d still really love to receive the flicks I’d requested so, well, fingers are crossed.

Comment

Have you subscribed to the HKR mailing list, Flash?

Not that it's really any excuse for accepting money for orders he's unable to fulfill, but he sends out regular (lengthy) apologies for the delays in posting orders and for his inability to reply to people's messages, inviting people to claim their money back via paypal if they're sick of waiting etc etc.... I believe the last email also stated that he'd had an extended period of illness which has put him even further behind.

With all due respect to the guy and his fine work, he's clearly dealing with a situation that's pretty unmanageable for a one-man-band operation, and he should probably take some action to address that ASAP. Makes me glad I got my own discs after a mere six month wait a while back, in happier days.

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                      With all due respect to the guy and his fine work, he's clearly dealing with a situation that's pretty unmanageable for a one-man-band operation, and he should probably take some action to address that ASAP. Makes me glad I got my own discs after a mere six month wait a while back, in happier days.
                      I don't know what he can do. He has handled some of this really badly -- shipping replacements before fulfilling existing orders, taking on the custom work (and talking about it in the newsletter), etc. I do have some empathy for him -- this has had far more success than expected, and he (from the newsletters) does seem a relatively decent chap, but the fact that he's little more than a somewhat reputable bootlegger can't be ignored. He can't hire people - If he pays wages to fulfill these orders, I believe he would opening a completely different can of worms that the studios will not let ignore.

Glad I got my physical discs (even if one won't play in any player -- I was able to rip the data off with MakeMKV), and honestly, am still eagerly awaiting _Bullet in the Head_ since it feels like it's never going to get a reasonable release.

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                        Have you subscribed to the HKR mailing list, Flash?
                        I do which is why I didn't bug him from June till November. My second email was in January (which is unanswered) and my third was a few days ago (also unanswered). He can say all he wants about people being able to cancel through eBay but he also knows full well he got most of us to wait past the time to do that. My ability to go after him in PayPal ended on December 3rd. So, unless he sends them, I'm out my money. After 10 months, I have little patience left. While he has listed issue, after issue, after issue, he never shut off ordering on his site. He also fails in all of his emails to give an expected delivery time for orders. Had he been honest in November and said the order wouldn't go out for months on months, I would have gone through PayPal to get my money back. I know he offered the disc images but I have no way to make the discs so that was pointless as well.
                        His last newsletter I received was 12/13.
                        Flash
                        Last edited by Flash; 03-16-2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Yes, these are all legitimate issues.

In terms of what HKR could do to resolve things, it's not my place to tell people how to run their not-quite-businesses, but if I were in his shoes, I think that a) shutting off new orders until the existing backlog is cleared, and b) pausing work on new projects until the backlog is cleared, would definitely be a responsible course of action, along with c) moving toward a new workflow based around replicating a fixed number of copies of each title in advance, putting a stock level on the website, and only selling discs which already exist and are ready to ship. But hey, what do I know? : )

Comment

The trouble with these hobbyists is they only want to do the fun stuff and not the shit work. As I'm finding out with the team I manage at work.
                            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

So since the HKR guy screwed over so many people, a user on twitter has publicly posted The Killer on his own Mega and Google Drive accounts. I won't post the link but the user is @neatsaux.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A few days ago a friend of mine on facebook posted a pic of three films he got from the HKR guy. He ordered them on January 7. So that's more than seven months. My friend made a PayPal claim after which the film were finally sent.
                                2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Working...
                                X