John Woo THE KILLER custom from HKR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oily Maniac View Post

It looks trimmed/altered to me. The post shooting vomiting at the riverside is also gone.
    Sounds like the HK theatrical version was probably cut to get a II rating then and international releases had the good stuff left in. I do prefer the boardroom ending even if it does chop out a good action sequence.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

But according to Mark Savage's blog post it's not just about cuts but more about music:

"Most importantly, it [i.e. the VCD] is the only version available legitimately that contains all the original music cues.

Even the Hong Kong Legends DVD, which has a great picture, does not have the music cues that this version has. The absence of important music cues on the HKL version is the reason why I never screen it to anybody.

I don't know what happened to the original cues between this release and the HKL one, but they've never surfaced on any edition since (not even the Japanese or the French)."

http://phantomofpulp.blogspot.com/20...5e71bc1de52183
      Jack J
      Last edited by Jack J; 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM.
      2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Aside from an obscure Taiwanese VHS of BULLET, there just isn't a complete version (uncut) with complete music cues. The VCD has the correct music cues, but several scenes are censored (i.e. Simon Yam throwing a knife into a throat at the Bolero and the bomber in the schoolyard scene being shot). Beyond that, several major releases of the film from the UK and France lack music cues or replace some cues with new cues. It's a mess.

There seem to be big differences music-wise, too, between Mandarin and Cantonese versions.

In general, the film is poorly and inconsistently mixed, and the music fade-ups and fade-downs differ in many versions. For example, note the scene where the three guys embrace at the end of the wedding scene (a freeze frame) and compare the VCD with the many Bluays and DVD's. The differences are stark. I have heard mention of Woo's "preferred version," but who is going to make sure that that version is the one finally released?

Comment

I watched the version that I have last night. First off, forgot how great this flick is. So good!

I LOVE the soundtrack during the credits. Like I'll smash the shit out of you, rival gang! NOW I'M A BELIEVER!!

Had the knife throwing scene. Obliterated the piss-drinking scene (well, he downs a bottle of whiskey) which I remember from the first time I saw it (obviously a different version). Has the headshot of the bomber and the boot on his face to push the spray into the ground. I'm not familiar enough with the film to know about different music cues, unfortunately. But really enjoyed it. Made me want to go on a Better Tomorrow kick right after.

Comment

Working...
          X