John Woo THE KILLER custom from HKR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Woo THE KILLER custom from HKR

Jacob already teasing the cover & screen shots of THE KILLER custom from HKR.

This one is requiring substantial work to get it to a reasonable quality level.

I've looked at every version that's been released and they all are pretty terrible. However, with substantial effort and all the tools at my disposal I think I'm able to reconstruct a reasonable quality version with the correct color grading, the original titles and credits and the proper resolution and framerate.

The process I'm currently following to restore The Killer is as follows:

1. Fix field blending using AviSynth to restore proper 1080p 23.976fps

2. Reconstruct original titles and credits

3. Remove dirt, dust, scratches, broken frames

4. De-Noise with Neat Video

5. Color grade using Dr Dre's Color Matching Tool using the Criterion version as a reference

6. Adjust white balance, fix black level and contrast

7. Upscale to 8K using Topaz Video Enhance AI

8. In Phoenix, use DVO Aperture increase perceived sharpness and DVO Regrain RGB to add fine film grain

The first two steps are already complete and a large part of step 3 is complete as well.

The rest of these steps are subject to change based on the testing I'm running.

Some of these processes take a very long time so I have to determine whether the time investment is worth it.

I've been using Topaz Gigapixel AI for a while. If you don't know, it's an image upscaler that uses Deep Learning or Neural Networks to increase the detail of photos. It can be used for video, but it isn't really designed for it. However, this new program called Video Enhance AI uses a similar principle but is designed to work with video.

From my limited testing, it can produce really great results far exceeding any other upscaling technique I've tried.

I've found that in some instances if you upscale a 1080p clip to 4K or even 8K using it's algorithms and then encode it back to 1080p after editing, the resulting image can look more detailed and sharper than if you kept it at 1080p the entire time. The downside is that it takes a really long time to upscale even a short clip.

Here are a few images from a sequence I'm currently working on. These are a work in progress. I haven't done all of the steps I outlined above, but I've done some of them. In particular this clip has been color-grading using the Criterion version as a reference. This is the way the film was intended to look. Most DVD and Blu-ray releases of this film are far too blue and washed out.

As I said, these are not finished and I'll continue refining the process until I get as good a result as I can for this film.

What you can't see, obviously, is what it looks like in motion which is what really counts. If any of you have seen the Dragon Dynasty release you know that they absolutely butchered the motion quality with a cheap field blending which caused constant jerky motion, ghosting all over the frame and a lack of detail whenever there was movement on the screen which is most of the time.

They had a good quality PAL source to work with but instead of properly converting it to 23.976 progressive 1080, they encoded it at 29.97 interlaced which caused all of the problems I mentioned. It's another example of western studios simply not caring at all about these films.

Luckily I got some AviSynth wizards to help me write the perfect script to fix all this. It took about two days to fully render but all those problems have been fixed now.

I'll be posting a lot more updates on this title soon. I don't have anywhere to go with this pandemic situation anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cmg6tgM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	370170

Name:	2l8Y1vM.jpg
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	370171

Name:	sq4dyaz.jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	370172

Name:	yUDnByq.jpg
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	370173

Name:	E7LKLMN.jpg
Size:	786.2 KB
ID:	370174

Name:	9Acaz7m.jpg
Size:	962.1 KB
ID:	370175

Order HKR Titles:

https://hkrservices.lpages.co/hong-k...ue-collection/

https://hkrservices.lpages.co/hong-k...ital-versions/

I really liked the job they did on Hard Boiled.

Comment

I'm waiting on PEKING OPERA BLUES. That was the next title to be released according to their release schedule. Hopefully that's near completion and ready to ship out.

Comment

This'll be limited by available source material, but so was Hardboiled, and I was pretty happy with how that turned out. If nothing else, even if the presentation isn't gorgeous it'll still be worth it for the extras.

I'd also be down with an HKR release of Peking Opera Blues.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelGuts View Post
            Can't wait.

Now that FS is acquiring the rights again (was it Atlas who had the international rights and sold them to Wisestein?), there is a glimmer of hope that Criterion can come out with a definitive blu ray release. Their OOP dvd sucks bad and of course, the DD version is only useful as a drink coaster.

Comment

https://www.36styles.com/kungfufando...nema-classics/

Comment

I've got Hardboiled and I agree it looks great, the extras are very cool, too.

I wish they'd do the original version of BULLET IN THE HEAD - the version with the original edit and soundtrack which was only released to home format on a rare VCD - Mark Savage has kept mentioning this for years (is Mark on this forum?).
                2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by Jack J View Post
                  I've got Hardboiled and I agree it looks great, the extras are very cool, too.

I wish they'd do the original version of BULLET IN THE HEAD - the version with the original edit and soundtrack which was only released to home format on a rare VCD - Mark Savage has kept mentioning this for years (is Mark on this forum?).
                  The negatives are probably long lost by now. I agree that the ending is way more impactful with the Mei Ah VCD ending. It's on YT if anyone wants to check it out or at least used to be on there.

Comment

According to Mark's posts about this on fb, it's not just the editing and different ending but the entire soundtrack. I think there was actually a dvd that restored the original edit, or close to it. But without the original music. There's different music cues all throughout the film and it makes for a very different viewing - according to Mark. I have never made a comparison and it's been years since I saw the film.
                    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by Jack J View Post
                      According to Mark's posts about this on fb, it's not just the editing and different ending but the entire soundtrack. I think there was actually a dvd that restored the original edit, or close to it. But without the original music. There's different music cues all throughout the film and it makes for a very different viewing - according to Mark. I have never made a comparison and it's been years since I saw the film.
                      Gotcha. Yes, there exists various fan made composite versions out there. I remember seeing one taken from a film festival in Finland that was reportedly 136 min in length but I'm no longer in possession of that copy but could probably get it again.

Comment

I've only ever seen the VCD, and it's been years.

Comment

It would be wrong of me to promote a bootleg outfit that does way more work and offers way better product than the studios that own the films and don't do shit with them, so I am definitely not mentioning that the Hong Kong Rescue version of The Killer is now available.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This might find a way into my house very soon. Allegedly. 'tis my favorite Woo flick.

His Drunken Master 2 is much better than what Warner Archive or Miramax released in this country. Again, allegedly.

Comment

If you download the files, are they mkv's?

Comment

Working...
                              X