Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mondo Macabro Releasing Gemini

From FB:

"Mondo Macabro is extremely excited to bring you the world Blu-ray debut of GEMINI, a blistering film from famed cult director Shinya Tsukamoto.

Based on a story by “ero-guro” author Edogawa Ranpo, GEMINI is a tale of doppelgangers and revenge, set in the early 20th century during, appropriately enough for our current troubles, a plague outbreak. The film is full of hallucinogenic imagery and has an extraordinary, pounding soundtrack that you won't be able to get out of your mind.

We think it's one of Tsukamoto's very best works and one of the most memorable Japanese movies of the 1990s.

We'll have more info as we get closer to the release date, including the full list of extras and the reversible cover for the LE.

The current plan is to have this release and the LADY KILLS/PERVERTISSIMA double feature go on sale sometime in late April or early May and ship out soon after. However, the COVID-19 crisis is making this schedule extremely fluid at best. But we will be as transparent and forthcoming as possible with this information as soon as we have it.

In the meantime, , check out this brand new teaser trailer for a taste of the madness to come …"

https://vimeo.com/398873058
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Shit, I will have to buy this to replace my VCD!

Comment

Also considering a doubleup here from the old Japanese DVD.

A Tsukamoto movie not everybody and his brother have already released, both english friendly DVDs are from 1999 ^^

As a sidenote, Nightmare Detective 2 is still MIA and it would be lovely to eventually see August in the Water and Labyrinth of Dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
        As a sidenote, Nightmare Detective 2 is still MIA
        Really? I must've seen a bootleg then, because I've definitely seen ND2.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

The film finally hitting BD is what's most important but I'm curious what kind of extras MM can dig up and license for this one. For example, it's no secret that one Takashi Miike filmed a making-of documentary for this film and AFAIK only truncated versions of that have ever been included on previous releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            Really? I must've seen a bootleg then, because I've definitely seen ND2.
            I've seen it aswell but a fansub, neither the japanese nor german dvd have english subs (those are to my knowledge the legit releases of the movie)

Comment

Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
              I've seen it aswell but a fansub, neither the japanese nor german dvd have english subs (those are to my knowledge the legit releases of the movie)
              I have a custom of that German Blu Ray with English subs and the it's not worth the upgrade over the boot dvd.

Comment

Here are the details! Goes on sale 5/15/2020.

Japan, 1999. Color, 84 minutes. Japanese audio, with optional English subtitles.

BD25, 1080p, 24fps, DTS HD stereo audio. Region A locked.

This stunning film from director Shinya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo, Nightmare Detective etc) is set in Tokyo in 1910. Dr. Yukio Daitokuji (Masahiro Motoki), is a former military doctor who has taken over a successful medical practice from his father. He appears to be living a charmed life: he is respected in the local community and is married to the beautiful Rin (Ryo). His only problem is that she suffers from amnesia, and her past is unknown.

But soon his world begins to crumble. Both his parents die suddenly, killed by a bizarre, rag-wearing stranger. Yukio's relationship with his wife worsens after he refuses to cure the inhabitants of a nearby slum. Then one day he comes face to face with the mysterious killer and a shocking and deadly secret is revealed.

The film's sumptuous visuals, astonishing costume design, scenes of kinetic violence and pounding score create a unique mood of terror and wonder, leading to an unexpected and apocalyptic ending.

This is the world premier Blu-ray edition of this film.

DISC FEATURES

HD transfer from film negative

“Making of Gemini” featurette directed by Takashi Miike (15 minutes)

Venice Film Festival premier featurette (17 minutes)

Make-up demonstration featurette (6 minutes)

Behind the Scenes (seven episodes, 20 minutes)

Original Trailer

LIMITED "RED CASE" EDITION FEATURES

1000 numbered copies. Reversible cover with new art by Naomi Butterfield unique to this release on the A side and original ad art on the B side. 16 page booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Tom Mes, author of Iron Man: The Cinema of Shinya Tsukamoto

Teaser trailer: https://vimeo.com/398873058

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-_Users_ian_Desktop_Gemini.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	357874

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-_Users_ian_Desktop_Gemini2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	357875
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That looks really far out.

Comment

That new cover art is total shit, doesn't fit the movie at all.

@bgart13 The movie is amazing, and a good intro to Tsukamoto for any friends who aren't quite ready for something like Tetsuo or Tokyofist.

Comment

Shitty art or not (I like it) remember this goes on sale this Friday, May 15th at 9 AM pacific/ 12 noon eastern. Only at mondo-macabro.com

Comment

I think that font gives it a really freaky carnival vibe that suits the film. I really like the soundtrack to this movie (I have the CD), pretty sure some outtakes from it turned up in Killing (which I think is his best film since Gemini).
                        agent999
                        Last edited by agent999; 05-12-2020, 05:53 PM.
                        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

As of right now, we have about 115 copies left of the 1000 limited edition blus for GEMINI. Slightly disappointing, but good news for anyone who wasn't able to purchase over the weekend. Get it at mondo-macabro.com

Comment

Now down to less than 30 copies of GEMINI in stock. Available at both mondo-macabro.com and mondomacabro.bigcartel.com

Comment

Jared, Thanks for your post. I just ordered it.

Comment

Working...
                              X