Massacre Video Releasing The Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
    Cinemageddon has a couple of different versions. Someone uploaded I think the Japanese VHS which has a few extra seconds and the picture is a bit nicer. I think someone took that version and cleaned it up as best as they could.
    The Japanese VHS is the best release of THE RAPE AFTER there is. Uncut and letterboxed. I have a dvdr that *someone* made, he restored the picture somewhat and added English subs. I believe that's also the CG version (I'm not a member).

The HK VHS from Ocean Shores is cut, the HK VCD (also from Ocean Shores!) is uncut. There's no dvd.
    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

I'm really looking forward to revisiting this bizarre, psychedelic, and grotesque film on blu ray.

Comment

Posted on FB yesterday:

"Just got word that the disc and sleeves for THE DEVIL are ready, we are just waiting for the slipcases which are hopefully arriving next week. Once all of the pieces are ready to go, they will be assembled and shipping will begin!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	80362381_2520582091330152_3927711269653577728_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	357267

Click image for larger version

Name:	80609540_2520582107996817_5816374879817039872_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	357268
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          MV just posted this on twitter.

"Artwork reveal for the Limited Edition Slipcase of our release of the 1981 Taiwanese black magic gorefest, THE DEVIL. Coming to you with a BRAND NEW moldtastic 4k scan from the quickly deteriorating OCNand presented in its true uncut version for the first time on home video."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23248[/ATTACH]
          They weren't kidding about the quality of the negative. This might be the only way to see this film in its OAR, uncut with original audio but everything else relating to PQ is sub par. I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone purchase this on the basis of it being a 4K scan blu ray, there is just too much print damage that really detracts from the viewing experience. Hope Ian gives it an honest review and posts up some screenshots, so everyone can see the shitty quality of the print.

Comment

I'd rather have a dammaged print then something slathered with noise reduction

Comment

My copy is due to arrive tomorrow. Not sure if I'll have time to do a formal review or not but I'll definitely post some caps in this thread.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The only version I've ever seen is the old English dubbed Japanese vhs so I'll look forward to even a worn/deteriorating print in Chinese.

Comment

It's splotchy as heck, but I got used to it. The darker scenes suffer the most, but the all-important curse/splat scenes shine through the mold.

Comment

I didn't have time to properly watch it last night but I did skim it. The mold damage looks to have been the obvious problem, once it eats into the elements, which it clearly did hear, I don't know what more you can do. I'll post some caps asap. I think this is the case of MV doing the best with what was available, even if it is obviously less ideal than we'd all hoped it would be.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

OK, so I watched it in its entirety last night and, yeah, the mold damage is pretty fucking extensive. Distracting in spots, not so distracting in others. I guess, like Mr. Miller, I got used to it as it seemed less obnoxious in the second half of the movie, though never once as obnoxious as Ding Dong (who, according to the IMDB, also appears Little Rascals Of Kung Fu that I know kind of want to see). I guess if these are the only elements left for the movie, this is it. It's not going to get better - and that's unfortunate because this is a pretty great film.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I had no idea this was in such bad shape. Was Louis upfront about it? I bought it being unaware of the mold problem.

EDIT: I see he mentioned it was "moldtastic", so he did warn us... sort of.
                        Matt H.
                        Last edited by Matt H.; 02-24-2020, 11:34 AM.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I need to rewatch this one.

Sad that the Chinese don't take care of their cinema. The negatives of Bruce Lee's Game of Death was left out in the sun and covered with pigeon shit.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

The negatives of Bruce Lee's Game of Death was left out in the sun and covered with pigeon shit.
                            Wrong, wrong, WRONG! It was seagull shit.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              OK, so I watched it in its entirety last night and, yeah, the mold damage is pretty fucking extensive. Distracting in spots, not so distracting in others. I guess, like Mr. Miller, I got used to it as it seemed less obnoxious in the second half of the movie, though never once as obnoxious as Ding Dong (who, according to the IMDB, also appears Little Rascals Of Kung Fu that I know kind of want to see). I guess if these are the only elements left for the movie, this is it. It's not going to get better - and that's unfortunate because this is a pretty great film.
                              LMAO at all comments sucking off Justin on MV's fb where customers who bought it are saying it's an "amazing job with transfer" & that the transfer looks "beautiful". I checked other reviews and they sure walk a tight rope around the horrible condition of the print and one that is more sanctimonious about the onscreen killing of a snake than the crap looking print.

Comment

I need to rewatch this one.

Sad that the Chinese don't take care of their cinema. The negatives of Bruce Lee's Game of Death was left out in the sun and covered with pigeon shit.
                                Technically speaking THE DEVIL and GAME OF DEATH are both Chinese films but they're from two different countries.

Comment

Working...
                                X