Massacre Video Releasing The Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
    I still want a remastered The Rape After. That film may be a legit masterpiece.
    Yes, yes, YES!! Probably the best film to come out of Hong Kong horror. To see it in good quality would be a dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Miller View Post
      Not only that, but I seem to remember that DEVIL had the English and Cantonese tracks layered together (or right/left channel), am I remembering this correctly?
      That makes me think they probably used an existing VCD master for the DVD, as most Hong Kong VCDs I have had were twin mono, with one side being the Cantonese audio and the other being mandarin. Kind of a neat hack to get two languages onto a format designed to support one stereo track. Using my Daiwa and Grandview DVD players, you could isolate one audio track and it would re-twin the output to be 2.0 mono, but I don't think many non-Asian market players could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Miller View Post
        Not only that, but I seem to remember that DEVIL had the English and Cantonese tracks layered together (or right/left channel), am I remembering this correctly?
        Ian, the one you're thinking of is CURSE in Tales of Voodoo, Volume 4 (listed on the sleeve as CANNIBAL CURSE). For that one, I'm sure Darcy's correct that a VCD was used and then incompetently played in stereo mode, presenting both Mandarin and Cantonese in the soundtrack. I have several Asian VCD's like that.

THE DEVIL is in English, so there's no problem with the soundtrack. I actually think the old Video City tape is slightly better quality. Interestingly, it's a squeezed image, so if you play it on a widescreen TV, it looks proper, while the Videoasia DVD is stretched, so to have it look "normal" you must watch it windowboxed. The tape is shorter (82:24 vs. the disc's 86 minutes), making me wonder if it has a PAL source?
        VHS will never die!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaibatan View Post
          Clearly this means a 4K release of THE WITCH WITH FLYING HEAD is only a matter of time now.
          Not with the same rights holder, unfortunately. Trust me -- I looked!

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
            Yes, yes, YES!! Probably the best film to come out of Hong Kong horror. To see it in good quality would be a dream!
            It was among the first couple of HK horror/exploitation films I watched. I thought "Wow! If HK horror is this good everything else has to be just as good if not better!" Nope. The absolute closest I got to the high of watching The Rape After is the Untold Story and Dream Home.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I remember thinking that THE RAPE AFTER was cool, but the bootleg I saw was nearly unwatchable. Is their a decent version available to watch?
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                I remember thinking that THE RAPE AFTER was cool, but the bootleg I saw was nearly unwatchable. Is their a decent version available to watch?
                VCD or VHS is as good as it gets.

As for The Devil, ill get it for sure. Kind of surprised to see it getting released. Not one of the better of it's kind but it's a fairly small field and pretty much everything is enjoyable with the exception of Black Magic (1993)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                  Cinemageddon has a couple of different versions. Someone uploaded I think the Japanese VHS which has a few extra seconds and the picture is a bit nicer. I think someone took that version and cleaned it up as best as they could.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

"THE DEVIL is about to enter its last step, which is subtitling from Mandarin to English. After that, we will be sending the Blu-ray to replication. We will have an artwork reveal next week, stay tuned for that."
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

MV just posted this on twitter.

"Artwork reveal for the Limited Edition Slipcase of our release of the 1981 Taiwanese black magic gorefest, THE DEVIL. Coming to you with a BRAND NEW moldtastic 4k scan from the quickly deteriorating OCNand presented in its true uncut version for the first time on home video."

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDuP4ldUwAIrUQW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	356644
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

My wallet is ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaibatan View Post
                          My wallet is ready!
                          It's up for pre-order. So is Mr No Legs!

http://massacrevideo.com/site/?produ...dition-blu-ray

Comment

I'm tempted to order the combo pack with the T-shirt. The design looks pretty cool.

Comment

I thought about it too.

Comment

Cover art for the standard edition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EK--phuVUAAcbrh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	357136
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...