No announcement yet.

Horrors of Malformed Men & Orgies Of Edo Blu-ray from Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imagine that the listing of SDH subs is a mistake.

Marc Walkow mentioned on twitter that there is "even more Teruo Ishii on the way."

Comment

Here's a review of the blu ray-

https://www.mondo-digital.com/malformed.html

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
        I imagine that the listing of SDH subs is a mistake.

Marc Walkow mentioned on twitter that there is "even more Teruo Ishii on the way."
        Sure hope that's the case or they fucked up big time!

Btw, this is one of the few newly commissioned covers that isn't completely putrid but still prefer the reversible original artwork by a fair margin.

Comment

Something weird going on with that "original" art. It's missing all the credits and text (including half of the film's title!) which makes it look strangely naked. And the background is too white.

Comment

I'm sure it's all going to be there in the final version. That's just a mock up and doesn't show all the detail of the reversible original cover art. Btw, this is already listed as part of HMV's 2 for £25 promotion. Shit, I wish I lived in the UK. They got all the great deals on Arrow & 88 Films at FOP too.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
              Something weird going on with that "original" art. It's missing all the credits and text
              That was also the case with MALFORMED MEN. Apparently that has already shipped so hopefully someone can chime in soon how it really looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaibatan View Post
                That was also the case with MALFORMED MEN. Apparently that has already shipped so hopefully someone can chime in soon how it really looks.
                They also did it with the recent 'Street Mobster' blu, removed the Japanese text and added a horrible ugly looking English font, why fuck with the original art?

Comment

Jesus Fucking Christ?! Are you serious? Why the hell would they mess with the original poster artwork? That STREET MOBSTER cover is barf city, the first thing I was going to do was reverse the sleeve and now even that is fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                    Something weird going on with that "original" art. It's missing all the credits and text (including half of the film's title!) which makes it look strangely naked. And the background is too white.
                    maybe they hired some photoshopper from the letterboxd poster mafia. As for their newly made art for it, can't see why they don't get some other artist as he can't draw faces.. it looks like some statue

as a sidenote, it's neat that arrow puts this out ugly artwork or not. Would love to see Love and Crime getting a release as well from them or some better company

Comment

I'd bet money that Arrow will also release YAKUZA'S LAW. Somehow, that one has always been tied to ORGIES OF EDO. HK Video released them on DVD in France at the same time and Toei recently finally put them out on DVD in Japan on the same day.

Comment

I'd bet money that Arrow will also release YAKUZA'S LAW. Somehow, that one has always been tied to ORGIES OF EDO. HK Video released them on DVD in France at the same time and Toei recently finally put them out on DVD in Japan on the same day.
                        It is part of Teruo Ishii's torture cycle, i'm pretty sure Takuma mentioned that there was a HD remaster prepared for the Toei channel, so i would say there's a very good chance.....in fact i think Arrow are reading these threads, 'WolfGuy','Horrors of Malformed Men' and others all mentioned on here,Arrow have clearly listened to the criticism over Sasori-gate and are now only releasing Toei titles that have HD masters prepared for broadcast, so that's good news. Now please don't mess with the original art!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Jones View Post
                          It is part of Teruo Ishii's torture cycle
                          Officially they are not tied, though. The "Torture series", "Tokugawa series", "Shogun Series"... all those titles were coined abroad. In Japan they were know as the "Abnormal Love Series" (異常性愛路線). The first 5 films were:

1. History of the Shogun's Harem (1968)
                          2. Hot Springs Geisha (1968)
                          3. The Joy of Torture (1968)
                          4. Orgies of Edo (1969)
                          5. Shameless: Abnormal and Abusive Love

You can confirm this info from the original trailers which conveniently state it. After Shameless the listing becomes more difficult, however. Inferno of Torture is most likely the 6th film, but the trailer doesn't state anything. Hot Springs Geisha 2 is the 7th film in an "Eros Series" according to its trailer... most likely we are talking about the same series here. So probably:

7. Inferno of Torture (1969)
                          8. Hot Springs Geisha 2 (1969)

Yakuza's Law (1969) was "The first film in Teruo Ishii's Stimulating Violence Series" (also the last) according to its trailer.

Love and Crime (1969) was "The first film in Teruo Ishii's True Story Series" (again the last as well, unless you count the Yuji Makiguchi follow-up from the mid 70s).

Horrors of Malformed Men (1969)... I don't think Toei could even decide what this was a part of.

Bohachi Bushido (1973) was part of the Abnormal Love series according to Toei's DVD release, but I'm pretty sure that DVD release was the first time it was ever billed as part of the series. Originally, I doubt it was advertised as part of the series.

Then there are of course Hot Springs Geisha 3-6. I haven't seen their trailers and I don't know how they were advertised.

All that being said, we're talking about crazy 60s commercial advertising (and crazy commercial cinema) where money came first, logic 2nd (or maybe more like 22nd). While I'd be careful of making statements that are clearly false, I wouldn't really stress too much about what is part of the series and what is not. I doubt even the filmmakers always knew that.

Comment

Dvdbeaver review- It does look a bit too green compared to the older Synapse dvd. Or is it more accurate?-

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...en_blu-ray.htm

Comment

So is Orgies... as violent as the others? That artwork doesn't give much away as what one could expect.

Yakuza's Law is one I've always wanted to see as I passed up on the dvd back when Xploited Cinema had it.

Comment

Yoshida Teruo looks like he's about to turn into the Hulk.

Comment

Working...
                                X