• Show
Clear All

• Horrors of Malformed Men & Orgies Of Edo Blu-ray from Arrow

Coming in September. Here are the special features:
    • Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original negative
    • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
    • Uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio
    • Newly translated optional English subtitles
    • Two audio commentaries by Japanese cinema experts Tom Mes and Mark Schilling
    • Malformed Movies: a new video interview with Toei exploitation movie screenwriter Masahiro Kakefuda
    • Malformed Memories: Filmmakers Shinya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo the Iron Man) and Minoru Kawasaki (The Calamari Wrestler) on the career of director Teruo Ishii
    • Ishii in Italia: Ishii and Mark Schilling visit the Far East Film Festival
    • Image Gallery
    • Theatrical trailer
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dan Mumford
    • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing by Jasper Sharp, Tom Mes and Grady Hendrix

Holy shit!

Seen the film three times in 35mm and own the Synapse DVD. Certainly getting this too! Amazing film!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DgTQuG1X0AAMGQr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	354586
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Overjoyed by this news.

The recently released CD score is great, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20440[/ATTACH]

Ian, just noticed your 47,686 post count. Respect through the fuckin roof! (and beyond)

Comment

Originally posted by AngelGuts View Post
            Ian, just noticed your 47,686 post count. Respect through the fuckin roof! (and beyond)
            Haha, I don't get out much.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is delightful news.

I generally find Tim Lucas enlightening, but his criticism of the ending of this film has puzzled me. The ending is beautiful; and indeed the film ends the only way it could end.

Comment

I recently asked if Mark schilling still does audio commentaries and this answers my question. As usual for Arrow's Japanese titles, yet another shitty ass cover.

Comment

I think the Mark Shilling commentary is from the Synapse DVD.

Comment

I didn't realize all the extras are rehashed from the synapse DVD. I used to have it a long time ago but traded it away.

Comment

The art isn't completely terrible, it just doesn't seem to be too tied to the film.

Comment

It's very much tied to the film. That's an artist's rendering of Tatsumi Hijikata dancing in front of the ocean on the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                          I didn't realize all the extras are rehashed from the synapse DVD.
                          Not all. The Masahiro Kakefuda interview (which alone justifies the purchase for me) and Tom Mes commentary are new.

Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                          I used to have it a long time ago but traded it away.
                          Why on earth would you trade away such and amazing film on such a terrific DVD?

Comment

Indeed!

Tied to the film or not (the artwork just doesn't echo the period and time the film was made in imo), hopefully there's a reversable sleeve

Usually don't double-dip but here's a why not DD release

Comment

Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
                              hopefully there's a reversable sleeve
                              Arrow always have the original poster artwork on the reverse side. It's already shown on their website:

Comment

Working...
                              X