No announcement yet.

Severin Films Releasing The Blood Island Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that was an embarrassing rant and shut it off....wow.
    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine's finally shipped, can't wait to get this in my grubby hands.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
        I thought that was an embarrassing rant and shut it off....wow.
        A little bit, yeah, but I'm glad someone has gone public and called out Shout's bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
          A little bit, yeah, but I'm glad someone has gone public and called out Shout's bullshit.
          I am not familiar with their policy, but I'm guessing that must be the reason I haven't seen the recent CREEPSHOW Special Edition offered at much of a discount anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by chriszilla View Post
            I am not familiar with their policy, but I'm guessing that must be the reason I haven't seen the recent CREEPSHOW Special Edition offered at much of a discount anywhere!
            yeah. Shout has started forcing retailers to charge a minimum advertised price, often just a dollar or two below the MSRP (and I think a couple are at full MSRP.) It really is Shout trying to force people to start ordering from them directly.

Comment

Being unfamiliar with these films, how graphic/exploitative are they? E.g. plenty of nudity?

Comment

Some nudity, gore and animal slaughter.

Comment

Fred Ray wonders about incorrect aspect ratios and day for night mess ups.
                  He is not alone.

Comment

Like Retromedia's the gold standard Fred! Only ever seen these full screen, but the day for night issue sounds annoying. Will see.

Comment

There has been a detailed discussion about the topic of aspect ratios for these films in the forums over at Blu-ray.com. There is a thread dedicated to the Blood Island Collection there. It's clear some people don't agree with their decision to present these open matte, but at least people should respect the fact that they gave the topic serious consideration, and didn't just carelessly present them in 4:3. There are a few posts in that thread that discuss the decision to present them open matte. I for one am glad they did present them this way, because the cheesy effects and the nudity are a significant part of these film's charm, and I'd prefer that stuff not be matted out of the frame. After reading more about the subject, in my opinion a 1.85 presentation would have been much worse than what we have now.

The day-for-night stuff is unfortunate. I doubt that notes/records still exist for whatever color timing decisions were made back then. Perhaps there was someone connected with the films who could have been consulted on which shots were altered in the lab (assuming there is someone who still has clear recollection on that stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                        Like Retromedia's the gold standard Fred!
                        Haha, exactly.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

The salient point is Fred is a filmmaker himself...whether you are a fan of his directorial output or not.
                          Or of Retromedia's output or not...not the topic here.

Fred also saw these theatrically, and knows they were widescreen.
                          Sam Sherman says they were shot widescreen.

As for Day for Night, well these are on the prints, and the old DVD.
                          No one checked, apparently because no one associated with the project was a really fan.
                          If they were, this could not have been missed.

All the talk about Serverin's careful decision is pure, unadulterated misdirection.
                          As is nit picking about 1.66, 1.75 or 1.85. The movies were shot for widescreen exhibition, this is simply a fact.

In addition to the missed Day for Night, there are 3 other shots in the film that should be tinted ( they weren't ).
                          Color timing on BRIDES skews hard green from a yellow push, and contrast is erratic.

I think BRIDES needs a recall...have not seen the rest of this train wreck set yet.

Comment

It is a bit ironic that Fred's posting about incorrect aspect ratios when Retromedia released THE ALIEN FACTOR cropped to 1.78:1 when it was obviously meant to be screened 1.37:1.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
                              The salient point is Fred is a filmmaker himself...whether you are a fan of his directorial output or not.
                              Or of Retromedia's output or not...not the topic here.

Fred also saw these theatrically, and knows they were widescreen.
                              Sam Sherman says they were shot widescreen.

As for Day for Night, well these are on the prints, and the old DVD.
                              No one checked, apparently because no one associated with the project was a really fan.
                              If they were, this could not have been missed.

All the talk about Serverin's careful decision is pure, unadulterated misdirection.
                              As is nit picking about 1.66, 1.75 or 1.85. The movies were shot for widescreen exhibition, this is simply a fact.

In addition to the missed Day for Night, there are 3 other shots in the film that should be tinted ( they weren't ).
                              Color timing on BRIDES skews hard green from a yellow push, and contrast is erratic.

I think BRIDES needs a recall...have not seen the rest of this train wreck set yet.
                              You must be fun to have at parties.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Depends on the party.

Imagine If I pre ordered?

Sadly Severin has released so many poor quality blu's the last couple years, that is no longer a worry.

Comment

Working...
                                X