• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Release date for the Unearthed Blu-ray is 10/13/20.

Ian Jane
      Administrator
      Last edited by Ian Jane; 02-28-2023, 10:46 AM.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

LOL. Fun trailer.
        2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

I approve.

Comment

Bruce Holecheck confirmed that he and Art Ettinger have recorded a commentary for the upcoming Unearthed Blu-ray.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This will be a thing of beauty. I'm hoping for newly-translated subtitles as well.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                Bruce Holecheck confirmed that he and Art Ettinger have recorded a commentary for the upcoming Unearthed Blu-ray.
                Two names I haven't heard in a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Release date for the Unearthed Blu-ray is 10/13/20.

Undisputed masterpiece of the golden age of CAT III. Glad to see this finally coming out.

Comment

Final list of extras for the Unearthed Films release.

DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

Commentary with Anthony Wong
                    Commentary with Herman Yau
                    Q&A with Herman Yau
                    Commentary with Art Ettinger (ULTRA VIOLENT) and Bruce Holecheck (CINEMA ARCANA)
                    Category III: The Untold Story of Hong Kong Exploitation Cinema
                    Cantonese Carnage: An Interview with Rick Baker
                    Trailer

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

Slip Cover (ON FIRST PRESSING ONLY)
                    Liner Notes by Art Ettinger (ON FIRST PRESSING ONLY)
                    Commentary with Anthony Wong
                    Commentary with Herman Yau
                    Isolated Film Score
                    Q&A with Herman Yau
                    Commentary with Art Ettinger (ULTRA VIOLENT) and Bruce Holecheck (CINEMA ARCANA)
                    Category III: The Untold Story of Hong Kong Exploitation Cinema
                    Cantonese Carnage: An Interview with Rick Baker
                    Trailers
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I watched the Unearthed disc last night and it looked and sounded good. I hadn't seen this in at least 20 years and I didn't really like it this time around. The tone is wrong and too often I was questioning the director's choices - a lot of them were dumb and childish and it was disappointing considering that Wong is really, really good in it and the climax is still just as shocking and harrowing as you remember (maybe even more so - I forgot how far it actually goes). I was tired when I started looking at the special features, but there's an 83-minute documentary on the history of Cat. III that seemed really good and I put the commentary on as I was falling asleep and it sounds very informative (from what I could tell, it seems to be dominated by Holecheck, who goes Tim Lucas-style with mucho info on everything).
                      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                        I watched the Unearthed disc last night and it looked and sounded good. I hadn't seen this in at least 20 years and I didn't really like it this time around. The tone is wrong and too often I was questioning the director's choices - a lot of them were dumb and childish and it was disappointing considering that Wong is really, really good in it and the climax is still just as shocking and harrowing as you remember (maybe even more so - I forgot how far it actually goes). I was tired when I started looking at the special features, but there's an 83-minute documentary on the history of Cat. III that seemed really good and I put the commentary on as I was falling asleep and it sounds very informative (from what I could tell, it seems to be dominated by Holecheck, who goes Tim Lucas-style with mucho info on everything).
                        The director of said Cat III documentary insists that Taxi Hunter is a Cat III film despite star Anthony Wong telling him it's ONLY Cat II (probably would be Cat IIB after the Cat II rating was split into 2 ratings in 1995).

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
                          The director of said Cat III documentary insists that Taxi Hunter is a Cat III film despite star Anthony Wong telling him it's ONLY Cat II (probably would be Cat IIB after the Cat II rating was split into 2 ratings in 1995).
                          Hmm, my first reply seems to have gone AWOL so if there's suddenly two replies that's why!

I guess said director doesn't know what he's talking about. TAXI HUNTER was always CAT II. My old ex-rental HK VHS and VCD both say Cat II and so does the HKMDB.
                          2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Hopefully Unearthed follows this with more Category III releases. It seems like no one has really tapped into this vein yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack J View Post
                              I guess said director doesn't know what he's talking about. TAXI HUNTER was always CAT II. My old ex-rental HK VHS and VCD both say Cat II and so does the HKMDB.
                              We get into it a little bit on the commentary, but it's worth noting that the CAT III designation became more than just a rating, it was also a marketing tool, so it's not uncommon to see titles like TAXI HUNTER, BLUE JEAN MONSTER, etc. promoted as CAT III films when they actually received a lesser rating. A good example is this laserdisc of RETRIBUTION SIGHT UNSEEN (aka 3 DAYS OF A BLIND GIRL) that just popped up on eBay -- the film is officially a II, but that didn't stop them from slapping a big old CAT III sticker on it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	359087

Or what about Herman's Yau's ALL OF A SUDDEN? Officially a CAT IIB, but some DVDs promote it as a III.

Click image for larger version

Name:	all-of-a-sudden-1996-with-english-subtitles-on-dvd-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	359088

Comment

The Untold Story has been passed uncut by the BBFC after being submitted by 88.
                                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Working...
                                X