No announcement yet.

Arrow releasing "about a dozen" Toei titles in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting this thread because the Masumura release made me think that at Arrow, since Walcow went out of the picture and Sharp became their go-to main man for japanese films, we will see less and less releases of the Toei's pulpier sides... even though they released some Teruo Ishii films, I highly doubt we will see any previously unreleased jitsuroku yakuza film or pinky violence in the future... I really hope I am wrong...
    tetrapak
    Last edited by tetrapak; 05-30-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Interesting speculation, but to be honest, I find it nigh-on impossible to predict where Arrow will go with their Japanese releases... their choice of titles never seems to follow much of a pattern, and rarely seems to take much account of what would hold the most commercial appeal for their audience. I have no idea what goes on behind-the-scenes re: their negotiations with the studios, but I'd imagine the deals that get done must be .... interesting.

That said though, I'm really glad that they persevere, as sales figures for stuff like the Ishii titles and old Nikkatsu movies can't be huge, and getting a totally unpredictable scattering of Japanese genre movies hitting blu-ray every few months is certainly better than none at all.
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
        ... their choice of titles never seems to follow much of a pattern, and rarely seems to take much account of what would hold the most commercial appeal for their audience.
        That's very true, it's something I noticed too...

and getting a totally unpredictable scattering of Japanese genre movies hitting blu-ray every few months is certainly better than none at all.
        that's for sure! :up:
        tetrapak
        Last edited by tetrapak; 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X