Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Films Releasing Hex - 88 Asia Line

From FB:"

Over a year ago (after a successful start to the ITALIAN and SLASHER ranges) we asked you guys and gals what new collection of remastered flicks you wanted to see.
    Overwhelmed by the response for an far eastern collection of horror and martial arts we started planning our Bollywood and Sex Comedy Collections. Unfortunately these fell through at the last minute, so instead......
    88 Films is proud to announce the launch of our latest collection - 88 Asia!
    Before RING, before DARK WATER, before SHUTTER there was HEX
    Asian horror cinema was already hitting strikes by the time the1980s dawned and nowhere was more ahead of the curve than the then-British colony of Hong Kong. The city of neon lights and vibrant street life was no stranger to scary movies and HEX was perhaps the island's crowning achievement. Released in 1980, and emerging from the legendary Shaw Bros Studios, whose knack for colourful landscapes and misty atmosphere remains legendary, HEX tells a weird and wonderful story of witchcraft and wanton revenge!
    Directed by the late, great Kuei Chih-Hung, whose output also includes the frequently censored "nasty" THE KILLER SNAKES (1974), this formidable Eastern frightener has an abused woman caught in a strange mystery of manslaughter and macabre happenings. To say anything else would be to spoil one of the Orient's most influential terror titles, but rest assured that HEX has a few spooky surprises up its sleeve.
    Now gaining its worldwide HD debut from 88 Films, HEX may just be the greatest ghost story you have never seen!
    Artwork TBC
    Extras TBC but booklet notes by Caulm Waddell will accompany each release. probably"

Click image for larger version

Name:	12963921_1287901164559823_932090484611072025_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	367177
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Wow, good stuff!!

Comment

Wait, wasn't there a thread about this just yesterday?

Comment

Not that I can find...
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
          Wait, wasn't there a thread about this just yesterday?
          You weren't imagining things.

Extras TBC but booklet notes by Caulm Waddell will accompany each release. probably"
          who the hell is Caulm? Not a good sign when they can't even spell his name (Calum) properly.

Comment

Well, such great news deserves its own thread anyway! I hope 88 have lots of HK horror planned, and not just from the Shaw catalogue. There is so, so much AMAZING stuff that's never even had a DVD release. People in the FB comments are like "release some martial arts", but a line of exclusively HK horror and exploitation films has been my wet dream for years.

As I said in the other thread, it's kind of unlikely this will look very good. Most of the transfers on the Celestial DVD's are extremely processed and smoothened. On the other hand, a poster in the comments on FB wrote that this hasn't had a HD transfer, so fingers crossed.
            enandalusiskhund
            An Andalusian Dog
            Last edited by enandalusiskhund; 04-11-2016, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I too welcome the release of classic HK horror and exploitation titles....i hope they continue to release them!

Comment

If I was them I wouldn't put "Shaw Brothers" at all on the cover. I don't think that name has much draw here in the UK and may even put people off, especially 88's usual horror crowd. Unfairly really, but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                  If I was them I wouldn't put "Shaw Brothers" at all on the cover. I don't think that name has much draw here in the UK and may even put people off, especially 88's usual horror crowd. Unfairly really, but there you go.
                  Haha...but on the other hand they may sell a few extra copies accidentally to some kung fu entusiasts who recognise the name...who may be suprised when they gwt home.

Comment

I think that is the problem with Shaw Brothers, and why they now get low sales. people in the past bought them thinking its a kung fu film, when a lot of Shaws are wuxia or heroic kind of films (is there a better term for these?).

Comment

Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                      who the hell is Caulm? Not a good sign when they can't even spell his name (Calum) properly.
                      Immerse yourself in his world and see ( I'd add more but Ian would delete it )
                      https://twitter.com/CalumWaddell
                      https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
                        That would depend on what was said, really. But hey, don't let me stop you from jumping to your own conclusions.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                          I too welcome the release of classic HK horror and exploitation titles....i hope they continue to release them!
                          Seems like this is the first in a planned line, so yeah, hopefully this does well enough for them that it can continue. There isn't much action on the HK horror front domestically so if subbed releases come out in the UK, I don't mind importing them. There's a gold mine of insanity here that genre fans should be stoked about. And as others have said, yeah, some of the Shaw stuff is great and would look awesome in HD if done properly, but branching out of the Shaw properties could also yield some pretty great titles.

I'm genuinely excited about this prospect. 88 aren't my favorite label by a long shot but if no one else is going to release these, I'll gladly support them on the titles that interest me.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
                            Yikes, 5 minutes of that was all I needed before deciding the less I know about Calum the better. I enjoy Blu-ray/DVD special features and don't want them ruined by my opinion of the moderator/creator.

Comment

I just clicked the link, that guy says there will be ANOTHER Asian announcement on Friday

Im going to guess itll be BLACK MAGIC (based on the guy saying "it'll be "a real classic"..)
                              Bogart
                              Last edited by Bogart; 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X