No announcement yet.

Female Prisoner Scorpion Box set from Arrow in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are a few screencaps from the Amazon stream. I took them with the print screen button since I don't know any other way to get screencaps from an Amazon stream. I stole Arrow caps from various sources... from cakefactory (see links in the previous post), dvdcompare review, dvdbeaver, and Mondo digital. All credit to them for the caps.

Amazon

Arrow

Amazon

Media Blasters DVD

Media Blasters DVD resized to 1920x1080

Arrow

Amazon

Arrow

Amazon

Arrow

Amazon

Arrow

Amazon

Arrow

Amazon

Arrow Youtube Trailer! (ignore the lack of detail on Arrow, that's youtube's fault)

A few more Amazon screencaps

It seems to be the same old master that was used for the Media Blasters dvd. There's an increase in detail compared to the dvd, but it's not terribly drastic. Note though, that this is a heavily compressed Amazon stream, so it would surely look a bit better on BD. Colors and everything are ok, although it has a bit of green haze, which probably results from ageing and is not intentional + weak black levels. A much smaller problem than Arrow's crazy contrast (?) that has made everyone's skin look really white and sick IMO. And this is supposed to be the best looking of the Arrow transfers...

I think we can assume the other three streams will follow the same pattern: the same source as the Toei / Media Blasters / Discotek DVDs but with a bit more detail. Obviously these wouldn't have made such great BDs. Not that it matters here, though; I'd rather watch these masters on VHS than the Arrow BDs, but anyway.
    Takuma
    Last edited by Takuma; 08-08-2016, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• those screencaps you got from blu-ray.com are certainly ugly-looking

the bds generally look attractive to watch but do have the colour grading thing which is well documented by now

but like others have mentioned at Blu-ray.com there is similar issues with other blu-rays like Code Red's Spanish releases which are not correctly colour timed and swing towards a certain colour spectrum but no-one makes a big fuss about. They are just thankful to have those movies on Blu-ray at all.

think that person has picked the most extreme examples to showcase. I don't think they like Arrow or the release too much and are trying to make some kind of point.
      Bogart
      Last edited by Bogart; 08-08-2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• I have the set, but have not delved into them yet. I haven't seen all these films before so I suspect that it wont have the same negative impact on my viewing experience as those that know and love these films.

I will probably fall into the camp of being grateful to have them on Blu-ray.

Comment

• The only one I hadn't seen before was Grudge Song. and yep its not as good as the rest.

Well i was trying to like this set, and I DO like the detail. I wish I had watched this before everyone started pointing out the flaws, to see if I would notice. But at times the tinting and brightness is just too much, digital/artificial even. Its kind of wearing on the eyes. Im coming round to thinking Arrow's excuse is just an arse covering exercise. Im even starting to think that their prints did not look like this and all the tint and contrast boost was done after the scan. Pinewood? Didn't these guys also fuck up Dr Terrors House of Horrors..

Anyway if Criterion do this better I would probably have to double dip (sigh).

Comment

• For those that still have any interest in picking up this set, Barnes and Noble is having a 50% off Arrow sale and the code: K8U8H9K knocks another 20% off, making this $49.99 before tax and shipping.

Comment

• Just to beat a dead horse.

Marc Walkow's comments about the matter...I mean what else could he say? that we fucked up big time?

Comment

• Haha..so according to this he saw the probelm, then decided that HIS artistic ideas are better than the original dir3ctors/ art designers and so ran with it?
                Frustrated failed director maybe???

Comment

• I'm still guessing the transfers were done by the Japanese rights holders, without Arrow having much to say about the matter. That's probably why the technical team brought the radical changes in color timing to Walkow's attention. As to why he didn't reject them, who knows? Maybe it was too late into production of the box, or maybe he didn't want to ruin relations with the Japanese (who are infamous for being difficult to work with on catalogue films). The "I think the colors are fitting" excuse is clearly just rationalization and damage control on his part, to be able to recoup the monumental licensing costs. He can't well say that they've released a bad product, of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                    Just to beat a dead horse.

Marc Walkow's comments about the matter...I mean what else could he say? that we fucked up big time?
                    He is in a tough spot. He needs these Japanese releases to do well so Arrow will pick up more and hire him to create special features.

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                    I'm still guessing the transfers were done by the Japanese rights holders, without Arrow having much to say about the matter. That's probably why the technical team brought the radical changes in color timing to Walkow's attention. As to why he didn't reject them, who knows? Maybe it was too late into production of the box, or maybe he didn't want to ruin relations with the Japanese (who are infamous for being difficult to work with on catalogue films). The "I think the colors are fitting" excuse is clearly just rationalization and damage control on his part, to be able to recoup the monumental licensing costs. He can't well say that they've released a bad product, of course.
                    35mm low-contrast prints, which Arrow got from Toei and used for these, are finished, color timed elements. The black crush/blooming whites are baked in and nothing can be done to fix those issues. The color, thanks to improvements in technology, can be manipulated and it seems Arrow just didn't want to spend the time and money to alter it (they did alter the color on their Deep Red re-release.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                      For those that still have any interest in picking up this set, Barnes and Noble is having a 50% off Arrow sale and the code: K8U8H9K knocks another 20% off, making this $49.99 before tax and shipping.
                      Thanks for the tip. Bought the STRAY CAT ROCK box instead.

Comment

• I'm going to stick my Media Blasters boxset for now, unless I can find it for dirt cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                          Thanks for the tip. Bought the STRAY CAT ROCK box instead.
                          Can't fault you for that. Except the packaging (I hate the shitty plastic slot hubs that the discs go in/on), the STRAY CAT ROCK set is pretty good.

Originally posted by Mark C. View Post
                          I'm going to stick my Media Blasters boxset for now, unless I can find it for dirt cheap.
                          I'm not sure that this will ever be cheaper than the $5X.XX from Barnes and Noble (however, B&N seem to be sold out, so it is a moot point.)

I went ahead and ordered it from this sale for $54 and when it arrives I'm going to return the copy I ordered from Target (that I've kept sealed because I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it.) $54 is much easier to swallow than $80 for a release as flawed as this.

Comment

• I meant like Pawnshop dirt cheap. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark C. View Post
                              I meant like Pawnshop dirt cheap. lol

Comment

• Woke up two hours before I was supposed to for some reason, so I finally decided to watch the first film in the set. It's still an amazing movie, probably the best WIP I've seen (though not as good as Jailhouse 41). The colour timing for some reason didn't disturb me so much, but the image quality actually did. There's reasonably good detail throughout, but in my opinion the image looks overtly digitally processed. A very unorganic and hard look. Not at all on the level of a lot of transfers coming out of Italy, where everything looks as though it's made of wax, but far from as good and film like as I've become used to from Arrow in later years.

Comment

Working...
                                X