No announcement yet.

Female Prisoner Scorpion Box set from Arrow in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one that I'm glad I didn't pre-order. Judging by the caps, that overblown trailer was indicative of the final product. I was worried this might sell out before I get a chance to order it but now, who cares if it does. ;) The extras/supplements aren't enough of an incentive for me to upgrade especially if the Tom Mes Unchained Melody becomes a standalone book in the future from Fab Press as planned.

To my knowledge none of Arrow's Japanese titles have sold out with the exception of the Stray Cat Rock UK box set but the US version is still readily available at the same price. I held off pre-ordering any of these Arrow releases with the exception of the Kiju Yoshida box set. Now you can get these Japanese titles for cheap during their flash sales.

The other thing I'm tripping on are all the positive comments on facebook raving about the artwork. WTF?! the artwork is atrocious and an embarrassment to the spirit of the originals & now apparently the transfers are as well.

Comment

The US BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR set sold out, but that had its print run dropped from 3000 to 2500 and the UK went from 2000 to 2500 because so many people in the US were ordering the UK set because it was cheaper.

Comment

yep, I was one of the guilty parties who ordered the UK version. I actually wanted the US version but the cheapskate in me just couldn't pass up the price difference for the "u" in honor & the BBFC logo on the front.

Comment

eh I think people are getting carried away bashing the release already based on those screen grabs (which don't look half bad to my eyes)
          I think they will look the same as Battles films.
          That is to say, solid but not exquisite.
          The Japanese studios I think apply a lot of DNR. Maybe that is how people want to see them over there.
          Bogart
          Last edited by Bogart; 07-19-2016, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I have this set pre-ordered and paid for, so I cant get myself get too negative about how this looks. They are still quality films, and the effort Arrow always puts into these releases has to be commended. The artwork also isn't great but they will have reverse sleeves at least. I'm still very much looking forward to this set. The transfers on all these Japanese releases haven't been great, as they use what they have been given, but it hasn't stopped me from a) buying them and b) enjoying them immensely

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
              Ian, are those Blu-Ray discs? Official review copies?
              They are 'test discs' that should represent final product but they didn't come in retail packaging or anything, so it's possible it could change before release date, though that doesn't usually happen.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                They are 'test discs' that should represent final product but they didn't come in retail packaging or anything, so it's possible it could change before release date, though that doesn't usually happen.
                Thanks. I thought so, I'm just still having difficulties believing the discs could look like that...

Has anyone ever cancelled their order from Arrow's website after having paid with Paypal? Does that work out?

Comment

Good thing I didn't pre-order.

But I would think Arrow would cancel and refund if you request it.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                    Thanks. I thought so, I'm just still having difficulties believing the discs could look like that...
                    eh they don't look bad

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                      eh they don't look bad
                      Yeah, they don't look bad, they look horrible

I'll be happy to stick to my dvds which look so much better.

Comment

Oh no, this was the one release Arrow weren't allowed to fuck up. These are some of my favourite films. Now I don't pretend to know how the Sasori films are supposed to look, as I didn't see them projected theatrically in the 70's, but I'm pretty sure that cold blue colour timing is wrong. I've never seen a Japanese 70's film timed liked that on DVD, it just looks unnatural and very modernised. Can't really judge detail with such small screens, but I also feel some might have been lost in black crush.

Already sold my DVD's and pre-ordered, so not much to do about it, but I'm extremely disappointed. Arrow is a cineaste label, releasing obscure films no nomal people buy, or have even heard about, and they've treated the films with respect in the past. There is no need to make them "glossier" or scrub them clean for an imaginary mainstream audience, so this is puzzling to say the least. Toei' HD masters, judging from Takuma's caps earlier in the thread, probably aren't even colour timed like this.
                        enandalusiskhund
                        An Andalusian Dog
                        Last edited by enandalusiskhund; 07-19-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that blue tint looks weird. I'm definitely going to wait until reviews are out. The set is too expensive to take a risk on considering all of the other releases that are 'coming soon'.

Comment

I love the movies, but I'll pass. The contrast is blown out, with severe black crush, and the colors look really off.
                            Rakesh R.
                            Last edited by Rakesh R.; 07-19-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                              eh I think people are getting carried away bashing the release already based on those screen grabs (which don't look half bad to my eyes)
                              I think they will look the same as Battles films.
                              That is to say, solid but not exquisite.
                              The Japanese studios I think apply a lot of DNR. Maybe that is how people want to see them over there.
                              Usually I'd be right there on the barricades with you on this one as fans getting carried away about nonsense is a pet hate but look at these two grabs together. It's not even that the new releases are over DNRed (they are) it's that they don't look the way they're supposed too. It appears that some complete knob, for reasons defying description, has come along and stuck a green filter over the films. Why do that? The films were beautiful. Now they look like bad footage left on the cutting room floor from Underworld.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Huge difference. That sucks.
                                Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Working...
                                X