Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Prisoner Scorpion Box set from Arrow in July

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Limited Edition Blu-ray collection (3000 copies)
    Brand new 2K restorations of all four films in the series presented on High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
    Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays) for all films
    Optional English subtitles for all films
    Double-sided fold out poster of two original artworks
    Reversible sleeves for all films featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan
    Booklet featuring an extract from Unchained Melody: The Films of Meiko Kaji, an upcoming book on the star by critic and author Tom Mes, an archive interview with Meiko Kaji, and a brand new interview with Toru Shinohara, creator of the original Female Prisoner Scorpion manga

FEMALE PRISONER #701: SCORPION

Newly filmed appreciation by filmmaker Gareth Evans (The Raid)
    Archive interview with director Shunya Ito
    New interview with assistant director Yutaka Kohira
    Theatrical Trailers for all films in the series

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION: JAILHOUSE 41

Newly filmed appreciation by critic Kier-La Janisse
    Japanese cinema critic Jasper Sharp looks over the career of Shunya Ito
    New interview with production designer Tadayuki Kuwana
    Original Theatrical Trailer

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION: BEAST STABLE

Newly filmed appreciation by critic Kat Ellinger
    Archive interview with director Shunya Ito
    New visual essay on the career of star and icon Meiko Kaji by critic Tom Mes

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION: #701's GRUDGE SONG

Newly filmed appreciation by filmmaker Kazuyoshi Kumakiri (Kichiku: Banquet of the Beasts)
    Archive interview with director Yasuharu Hasebe
    Japanese cinema critic Jasper Sharp looks over the career of Yasuharu Hasebe
    Visual essay on the Scorpion series by critic Tom Mes

Rating: 18
    Region: AB/12
    Duration: 353 mins
    Language: Japanese
    Subtitles: English
    Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
    Audio: Mono
    Colour
    Discs: 8
    Cat Number: FCD1338
    Can't wait to toss my media blasters/tokyo shock dvds
    Derrick King
    Waterfall Puncher
    Last edited by Derrick King; 04-08-2016, 11:10 AM.

Arrow are killing it lately. Amazing.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Release date 25th April according to their website. Maybe a typo as July seems more likely.

Although I like these films, the price as well as the fact I don't expect the PQ to be that outstanding on these releases (similar to Battles boxset) ill likely stick with my DVDs.
      Bogart
      Last edited by Bogart; 04-08-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Ordered.

Comment

I'll be buying that for sure!

Comment

What atrocious cover art! No surprise as most of the "newly commissioned" artwork for Arrow's Japanese releases have been utter crap. :down:First thing I do is reverse the cover art right away just to remove that eyesore.

Comment

They do have a habit of making all these releases looking like Manga or a graphic novel. But It could be worse. I don't hate all the artworks they do, and at least its not a Rick Melton commission, like they used to. Nothing against that guy, but his art doesn't do much for me anymore.

Comment

I agree that the cover art needs to be reversed; I always prefer the original poster art. I would love for them to ditch the dvds, as well, especially if that lowers the prices.

For the F.P.S. films, I have dvd-r's that were 'released' by Cannibal King & last year, I found one of the Media Blasters dvd's for less than $2.00. I'm not sure what the sources for the CK releases were. I'm thinking maybe Japanese dvds or pre-record vhs? They were good for the time but I'm pretty excited to see hd transfers of them!

The film I'm hoping Arrow will eventually release is Violent Streets.

Comment

Fan freaking fantastic.

Comment

YES!! One of my favourite film series. Such a great announcement!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                      Release date 25th April according to their website. Maybe a typo as July seems more likely.

Although I like these films, the price as well as the fact I don't expect the PQ to be that outstanding on these releases (similar to Battles boxset) ill likely stick with my DVDs.
                      I have to admit, that price is a bit much (£79.99/$12X.95 for 4 films), even though it is in line with the price of the BATTLES box set (£99.99/$149.95 for 5 films.) Marc Walkow also produced this set, so the extras and booklet should be worthwhile (without a doubt, the BATTLES book is the best one I've seen in an Arrow release.) I just hope the high price keeps this in stock long enough for me to be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                        I have to admit, that price is a bit much (£79.99/$12X.95 for 4 films), even though it is in line with the price of the BATTLES box set (£99.99/$149.95 for 5 films.) Marc Walkow also produced this set, so the extras and booklet should be worthwhile (without a doubt, the BATTLES book is the best one I've seen in an Arrow release.) I just hope the high price keeps this in stock long enough for me to be able to afford it.
                        I hear you. Thinking about it, and the fact i like these films very much, ill probably end up begrudgingly buying this down the line as ill only end up regretting not getting it once it sells out. I can use my Arrow points to get a discount. But I hate being played like a piano with all these L.E releases!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                          But I hate being played like a piano with all these L.E releases!!
                          I've made my feelings on the whole bs limited edition model known, so you'll get no disagreement from me. I just wish that Arrow would always be upfront about what is or isn't going to get individual releases. Frankly, with the exception of the BATTLES book, I've found most of their booklets to be mediocre (their Blood Rage booklet may have the worst published film essay I've ever read), so I can live without them, but I don't want to miss out on owning the films on Blu-ray.

Comment

I'm excited about these as previous iterations of these films have been average.

Just ordered the box and the new OUTLAW GANGSTER VIP box, which hasn't gotten too much press (but sounds great).

Comment

I gave a little gasp when my wife showed me the press release this morning. So looking forward to seeing the series on BD. They will look amazing, especially Jailhouse 41.

Comment

Working...
                              X