Any other recommendations? I know:

The Untold Story
    Ebola Syndrome
    Taxi Hunter
    The Story of Ricky
    Black Magic 1 and 2
    Seeding of a Ghost
    The Boxer's Omen

It seems like some of them are really hard to find. I have one on some DVD set called "Tales of Voodoo" called "The Devil's Express" that is sort of along these lines.

The Rape After. I think this is the greatest HK Horror film ever made still. It's very much an homage to Fulci especially City of the Living Dead. I'd put it in my top 100 all time list of movies actually. After that, there's not much else that could be considered to be genuinely good aside from some Anthony Wong flicks.

There's the "To Kill" trilogy that's not an actual trilogy in that there's zero relation between these films but they came out around the same time and have a similar title.

Red To Kill
    Run and Kill
    Love to Kill

The first two are very sleazy and can be hard to watch. The last one has Anthony Wong and that's all you need to know.

Three Days of a Blind Girl. A CAT II flick but it has Anthony Wong and it's pretty damn good.

Fatal Vacation. Not technically horror but action/exploitation. A must watch.

A Chinese Torture Chamber Story. This became an internet meme and it's worth watching if you enjoy "so bad it's good" crazy OTT flicks.

A Day Without Policemen. A Simon Yam action/exploitation picture. Has some good shit. Worth checking out but beware that the English subtitling is horrible.

Then you have a sort of trilogy of human suffering by T. F. Mou:

Lost Souls
    Man Behind the Sun
    Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre

All three are worth watching if you haven't seen them but they are pretty rough to watch. The later two are infamous for being some of the most disturbing films ever made.

The Underground Banker. Another Anthony Wong flick. That's all you need to know. But this one is especially interesting because it's kind of a parody of the CAT III genre at the time and also has Simon Yam for a bit as a call back to Dr. Lamb. Dr. Lamb is maybe worth checking out too but I can't remember anything about it. Finding it uncut is a bitch.

The Imp (the 90's one) is pretty fucked up. It doesn't get going until the last 20 or so minutes. But maybe worth checking out.

Daughter of Darkness trilogy (Including Daughter of Darkness 1 and 2 and ending with Brother of Darkness). I'd say the first is worth checking out. Part 2 is a remake of the first film with the same cast. And the 3rd one is unrelated but has the same guy who played the rapist step father from parts 1 and 2 back. Part 2 has a really fucked up coat hanger abortion scene. The first movie is pretty good.

There is a Secret in My Soup. Based on a true story. Actually, there's two films that came out around the same time that are about the same news story. I can't think of the name of the other one and I bet you're noticing a pattern now that most CAT III movies are either based on a real stories or are about serial killers. I thought this was one was okay. Usual CAT III nihilism by the end.

Eternal Evil of Asia. This one's fun. It's a mashup horror comedy. Worth checking out.

Two more recent entries are:

Gong Tau (2007). Directed by the guy behind Ebola Syndrome and Untold Story. It's basically a celebration of oldschool CAT III movies. Worth taking a look at.

Dream Home (2010). One of the better recent horror films to come out. Very good film. Check this one out.

I'm probably missing a couple of titles because they seriously start blending together after a while.
    Alex K.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 12-02-2015, 10:03 PM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

My favourite is probably The Seventh Curse. The Chinese Ghost Story films are fantastic fun. The Erotic Ghost Story is okay too. Huge thumbs up for Eternal Evil Of Asia. For something a bit more mainstream, big budget I think Wicked City has a lot of good moments.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Thanks for the list and recommendations! I saw Men Behind the Sun back in high school and had to shut it off - it's one of the few movies in my life that was so rough I couldn't make it through. Irreversible is another that comes to mind (I skipped chapters on that one part - you know). I avoided "The Rape After" due to the title, but I'll look it up. Fatal Vacation sounds really cool - more like '80s action, but I love stuff.

Comment

I forgot about the Seventh Curse. That's from the director of Story of Ricky. Seventh Curse is legit fun. The Black Cat by the same director is also great. I've been meaning to watch his rape/revenge flick Her Vengeance for a while.

The Rape After doesn't actually feature rape per se. There is rape by demon but it's done without any nudity or anything like that. I'd seek that one out ASAP.

Comment

Didn't think much of Her Vengeance personally. The stop motion fight sequence in The 1000 Years Cat had me crying with laughter! Would recommend The Beasts and Don't Play With Fire, a very nasty flick even in the censored version. School On Fire is really good exploitation as well, but again it's heavily cut.
            agent999
            Last edited by agent999; 12-02-2015, 10:16 PM.
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

The Beheaded 1000 is another one. Not really horror but OTT martial arts/action in the vein of Story of Ricky. Gory too.

Comment

Run to Kill is the one stone cold CATIII masterpiece imo.

Fruit Chan's Dumplings is also very good.

Comment

Oh yes, one of my absolute favorite genres! I'm especially fond of the slimy and dark black magic film cycle, but I like CAT III and other stuff too.

First I really want to agree with Randy G. about Run and Kill. Awesome, awesome film! You NEED to see this. Try to get the Austrian DVD if you can, as it's actually uncut (which the HK DVD is not). Red to Kill is also a top notch film (but if you have a hard time with rape, it's probably not for you)!

Lots of good stuff mentioned already. Seventh Curse is essential, The Rape After is indeed a masterpiece, The Beasts is a really grim and AWESOME hillbilly rape film, kind of like I Spit on Your Grave.

If you liked Boxer's Omen you need to see Bewitched, a prior film from the same director. Non stop black magic action! Centipede Horror is also essential, as is The Black Magic With Buddha, The Devil, Devil Fetus and Witch With the Flying Head. I also quite like the two Possessed films. Beware that the HK DVD of the second one is quite heavily cut, there is a composite with inserts from I think a japanese VHS floating around. Two othe cool ones are Red Spell Spells Red and The Accident (aka. Blood of the Black Dog).

If you like wuxia then Human Lanterns is a given, as well as Bloody Parrot although that one isn't quite as horror oriented (it does feature a scene of demonic possession which needs to be seen).

What else, hmm. Corpse Mania if you want to see Shaw Brothers do giallo, Hex is good, as is The Killer Snakes. Oily Maniac! Evil Cat! Just TOO MUCH GOOD STUFF!!

Comment

I'm sad so many of these are still unavailable on DVD. There were so many awesome films released on physical media both in HK and in the US a few years back, not least thanks to the enormous quantity of SB's catalogue coming out, but now it all seems to have dried up.

Also yes, I want to second the recommendation of Herman Yau's Gong Tau. A love letter to the slimy and maggot infested gong tau films of old. Sort of a shame that some of the CGI looks ropey, but can't have it all. Beware of the cut to shreds Thai DVD.

Comment

Calamity of Snakes

Comment

Yeah, that's a nice one. Also Lewd Lizard.

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                          I'm sad so many of these are still unavailable on DVD. There were so many awesome films released on physical media both in HK and in the US a few years back, not least thanks to the enormous quantity of SB's catalogue coming out, but now it all seems to have dried up.

Also yes, I want to second the recommendation of Herman Yau's Gong Tau. A love letter to the slimy and maggot infested gong tau films of old. Sort of a shame that some of the CGI looks ropey, but can't have it all. Beware of the cut to shreds Thai DVD.
                          At one point I was in contact with one of the guy's behind the DVD company that put out Ebola Syndrome in the West. He asked me if I could send him a bunch of CAT III movies that he never saw and might make good acquisitions. I sent him The Rape After, The Underground Banker, and a few others. Never heard back from the guy and it looks like that DVD studio is kaput. I did get a free copy of Sex and Fury though.

Comment

I suggested a few of these for Mondo Macabro some years back, including Rape After and Witch With the Flying Head, and I believe they said that it was impossible to find rights holders and/or decent (in the case of Witch ANY) material.

Comment

Hong Kong does not take very good care of their movies. The lost footage from Bruce Lee's Game of Death was just left out in the open and covered in pigeon shit. Also, there's a strong possibility that the genre films have affiliation with the Triads.

Comment

Working...
                              X