No announcement yet.

Sonny Chiba Mega Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shout Factory's November releases have leaked and one of them is a Sonny Chiba box set containing: Yakuza Wolf, Yakuza Wolf 2, Bodyguard Kiba, Bodyguard Kiba 2, The Fall of Ako Castle, Samurai Reincarnation, and Shogun's Shadow.

I just saw that Takuma was the one to ID the titles based on the cover. Of course. hahaha.
    Derrick King
    Waterfall Puncher
    Last edited by Derrick King; 08-28-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• I'm all over this!

Coming to Blu-ray 11/15 from Shout Select - Sonny Chiba Collection

YAKUZA WOLF: I PERFORM MURDER (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 87 min.)

In this riveting Western, a vengeful man is after the Japanese yakuza for killing his boss and selling his sister into slavery. This exciting thrill-ride is "one of Chiba's most enjoyable films" (Chris D., Guns And Swords).

YAKUZA WOLF 2: EXTEND MY CONDOLENCES (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 85 min.)

In this fantastic sequel, Chiba is sent to prison after being betrayed by a yakuza underboss. Once out, he looks to get his revenge in this exciting film directed by Buichi Saito (Lone Wolf And Cub: Baby Cart In Peril).

DISC TWO:

BODYGUARD KIBA (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 87 min.)

Based on the anime by Ikki Kajiwara, Bodyguard Kiba follows a martial arts fighter (Sonny Chiba) who takes on the yakuza. This film was released in the US theatrically as The Bodyguard with the slogan "Viva Chiba!"

BODYGUARD KIBA 2 (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 88 min.)

This terrific sequel opens with our hero in prison. Upon his release, he takes a bodyguard position at a nightclub ... and his new employer ends up being the one who had him imprisoned!

DISC THREE:

SHOGUN'S SHADOW

(1.85:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo, 112 min.)

A young man on a journey to Edo to mark his passage to manhood is accompanied by seven master samurai charged with getting him there safely ... against the wishes of a powerful shogunate.

SAMURAI REINCARNATION (1.85:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 122 min.)

When a resurrected demon assembles a team of undead samurai warriors to overthrow the Tokugawa shogunate, only one person can defeat them: Jubei Yagyu (Sonny Chiba).

DISC FOUR:

SWORDS OF VENGEANCE (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 160 min.)

Director Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale, The Yakuza Papers) teams up with Sonny Chiba to present a daring and violent version of Japan's most epic myth, "The 47 Loyal Retainers."

https://shoutfactory.com/product/the...roduct_id=7930

Click image for larger version

Name:	302480938_1749051045438107_6198708049579603658_n.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	399377
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• To quote Sam Cooke... ain't that good news, man, ain't that news.
        https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
        http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Amazon has this set up for pre-order. Only $50, I'm in.

Comment

• Here's the full press release for the upcoming Shout! Factory Sonny Chiba Collection release.

SHOUT! SELECT PRESENTS THE SONNY CHIBA COLLECTION

SEVEN OF THE LEGENDARY MARTIAL ARTS ICON’S BEST FILMS IN AN EXTRAORDINARY 4-DISC BLU-RAY™ SET

Yakuza Wolf – I Perform Murder · Yakuza Wolf 2 – Extend My Condolences · Bodyguard Kiba
            · Bodyguard Kiba 2 · Shogun’s Shadow · Samurai Reincarnation · Swords Of Vengeance

AVAILABLE TO OWN ON NOVEMBER 15, 2022

Legendary Japanese martial artist and actor Sonny Chiba remains a formidable force and an iconic star in film history. Get ready for some of the wildest action films from the impressive legacy of Chiba when THE SONNY CHIBA COLLECTION 4-Disc Blu-ray set hits North American home entertainment shelves on November 15, 2022 from Shout! Select in collaboration with Toei Company Ltd. This highly sought-after collector’s delight comprises a small collection of Chiba’s incredibly successful career. Some of the films included in THE SONNY CHIBA COLLECTION are being released on Blu-ray for the first time in North America. Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba will be greatly missed by his legion of fans. The "Street Fighter" will live on forever!

Loyal fans and movie collectors ordering from ShoutFactory.com will receive an exclusive 18x24 poster featuring the brand-new artwork available while supplies last.

DISC ONE:
            YAKUZA WOLF: I PERFORM MURDER (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 87 min.)
            In this riveting Western, a vengeful man is after the Japanese yakuza for killing his boss and selling his sister into slavery. This exciting thrill-ride is "one of Chiba's most enjoyable films" (Chris D., Guns And Swords).

YAKUZA WOLF 2: EXTEND MY CONDOLENCES (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 85 min.)
            In this fantastic sequel, Chiba is sent to prison after being betrayed by a yakuza underboss. Once out, he looks to get his revenge in this exciting film directed by Buichi Saito (Lone Wolf And Cub: Baby Cart In Peril).

DISC TWO:
            BODYGUARD KIBA (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 87 min.)
            Based on the anime by Ikki Kajiwara, Bodyguard Kiba follows a martial arts fighter (Sonny Chiba) who takes on the yakuza. This film was released in the US theatrically as The Bodyguard with the slogan "Viva Chiba!"

BODYGUARD KIBA 2 (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 88 min.)
            This terrific sequel opens with our hero in prison. Upon his release, he takes a bodyguard position at a nightclub ... and his new employer ends up being the one who had him imprisoned!

DISC THREE:
            SHOGUN'S SHADOW (1.85:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo, 112 min.)
            A young man on a journey to Edo to mark his passage to manhood is accompanied by seven master samurai charged with getting him there safely ... against the wishes of a powerful shogunate.

SAMURAI REINCARNATION (1.85:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 122 min.)
            When a resurrected demon assembles a team of undead samurai warriors to overthrow the Tokugawa shogunate, only one person can defeat them: Jubei Yagyu (Sonny Chiba).

DISC FOUR:
            SWORDS OF VENGEANCE (2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, 160 min.)
            Director Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale, The Yakuza Papers) teams up with Sonny Chiba to present a daring and violent version of Japan's most epic myth, "The 47 Loyal Retainers."

Bonus Features
            DISC ONE (YAKUZA WOLF: I PERFORM MURDER/YAKUZA WOLF: EXTEND MY CONDOLENCES):
            • Theatrical Trailers For Both Films
            • Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono With Newly Translated English Subtitles

DISC TWO (BODYGUARD KIBA/BODYGUARD KIBA 2):
            • Theatrical Trailer For BODYGUARD KIBA

DISC THREE (SHOGUN’S SHADOW/SAMURAI REINCARNATION):
            • Theatrical Trailers For Both Films
            • Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo With Newly Translated English Subtitles (Shogun’s Shadow)
            • Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono With Newly Translated English Subtitles (Samurai Reincarnation)

DISC FOUR (SWORDS OF VENGEANCE AKA THE FALL OF AKO CASTLE):
            • Street Fighting Man – An Interview With Sonny Chiba Discussing His Career And The Street Fighter Films

Name:	sonny.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	401850
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• It's a shame they've not bothered to shell out for any real extras or contextual material for this set... but I'll nonetheless try to pick it up as soon as the opportunity arises.

Comment

• I don't know why the are putting the interview from their Street Fighter set on this. Like, who is going to buy this set but not that set?

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post

A spectacularly amateurish artwork for Vol. 1.

- https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09FJPH1D5/

And yes, I believe it really will be that low resolution. I saw The Gorilla 7 DVD set in a shop and the cover looked like crap. The explanation here is that while "Toei releases" (sales agency), these come via a company called Best Field (publisher). They've been putting out a lot of Toei stuff in the recent years. The only releases that I own are The Bodyguard DVD set and New Seven Color Mask DVD set. They also had some cover art issues (though not that bad) but the content on the discs was fine.
                  - https://www.bestfield.com/product-list?c=toei&q=
                  Vol. 2 came out as well

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                  There is another topic of concern besides the artwork. The Yagyu Clan Conspiracy is currently airing on Jidai Geki Channel on TV and while the HD image looks nice, the audio track has a lot of hiss on it (a lot more than the old SD broadcastings on Toei Channel had). Also, the opening credits sequence has been shortened. The original airings apparently had sponsor info played at the end of the opening credits, while the later Toei Channel SD airing deleted the sponsor info but left the footage otherwise intact, resulting in a super-epic musical interlude. The Jidai Geki Channel HD version cuts that part out entirely.

Will either of those be fixed for this DVD release remains to be seen. Also what about Toei Channel? Surely they will air the show in HD at some point as well. They already showed the two follow-up shows Yagyu abaretabi (1980-1981) and Yagyu Jubei abaretabi (1982-1983) in HD this and last year, but bizarrely skipped the first show. Perhaps they sold the HD premiere rights to Jidai Geki Channel?
                  I forgot to post an update on this. A friend picked the DVD set up and said the audio is still crap, however, the opening credits play in full.

Toei Channel has still not aired this.

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                  Speaking of Yagyu abaretabi, Best Field also announced they will be releasing that on DVD on May 11, 2022. It will be a 6 disc set will all 26 episodes.
                  - https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09RK3VYCP/

They also released Yagyu Jubei abaretabi

Comment

• Super stoked that Toei has finally scanned Dash to the Sun (太陽に突っ走れ) (1966) in HD and will be airing it on TV next month!
                    - https://www.toeich.jp/program/1T0000015983/202211

Also video ad in YouTube:
                    https://youtu.be/bJnKv76HI4A

Comment

• Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum found a BBFC listing for Karate Inferno from Arrow. I assume Arrow will also release The Executioner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                        Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum found a BBFC listing for Karate Inferno from Arrow. I assume Arrow will also release The Executioner.
                        I think the BBFC listing is actually for the first film. Although the title says "Karate Inferno", the examination details say "The Executioner", the plot description seems to be for the first film, and the running time (86m 38s) matches my Toei Channel recording of the first film (86m 39s) rather than Karate Inferno (85m 41s). Also, shouldn't Karate Inferno pass as "15" nowadays? I could be wrong though. In any case, they're probably releasing both.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/karat...pwwc0xmda4nde3

Anyway, great to see these coming. Both are pretty awesome films, and Toei has fresh scans available. Just need a disc with a proper bitrate.

Takuma
                        Last edited by Takuma; 10-27-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Coming from Arrow in January.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
                          - High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
                          - Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio for both films
                          - Original uncompressed English mono audio track for The Executioner
                          - Optional English subtitles
                          - Brand new audio commentary by Chris Poggiali and Marc Walkow
                          - Sonny Chiba, Karate King, a 30-minute featurette on the legendary Sonny Chiba, featuring Grady Hendrix, Tom Mes, Chris Poggiali, Marco Joachim and Seiji Anno, from the band Guitar Wolf
                          - Original trailers
                          - Image galleries for The Executioner and The Executioner II: Karate Inferno
                          - Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Lucas Peverill

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films by by Mark Schilling

Name:	313268332_556426113111971_1079219497125402202_n.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	403237

Name:	313256778_556426096445306_40063598757487206_n.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	403238
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• On some level, I feel like I should buy this just on general principle, but at the same time these are far from my favourite Chiba movies.... I remember the first one being a bit under-powered, and the second one being a total, time-wasting mess.

Seemingly others disagree though? Should I give 'em another go?

Comment

• First time I hear someone not loving the first film. It's full of ultra violence and general crudeness, a great teaming of Chiba, Eiji Go and Makoto Sato, and even features young Hiroyuki Sanada. It also works like medicine for depression (I once asked a cute Japanese girl to go out with me, and she turned me down. I was feeling so down. Then I watched The Executioner, and I wasn't feeling down anymore!).

I like the sequel even more. It's more comedic, but it's even cruder than the original if possible. This film is actually the more popular of the two in Japan, and always a riot with an audience (I've seen it theatrically twice). It's also got tons of fun film reference gags, some of which will likely be lost by many Western viewers.

Oh and the poster is awesome! Got the original B2 on my wall.

Comment

• The more I see the art for The Executioner Collection, the more I dislike it.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X