Sonny Chiba Mega Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakuza War: The Japanese Godfather (Japan, 1977) [DVD] - 2.5/5

By 1977 the jitsuroku yakuza film genre was nearly dead. Kinji Fukasaku released his final yakuza films that year, while his colleague Sadao Nakajima still went on for a few more years, but the films weren't getting any better. Ultra violence and documentary style gangster films just weren't the big thing anymore, and the producers were telling filmmakers to try and appeal to female audiences. Violence was cut down, more drama was written into the storylines and running times were extended to make the films bigger. Novels were often used as source material. It was the beginning of the end.

The Japanese Godfather is a sort of transitional film. It runs way too long at 132 minutes, but at the same time it still retains some of the ruthless violence and graphic sex that characterized the mid-70s yakuza films, including director Nakajima's own Okinawa Yakuza War (1976). Highlights include manly man Bunta Sugawara pulling bullets out of his vest with his bare hands, and short tempered bodyguard Sonny Chiba yelling at a man and pulling him from the clothes AFTER unloading six bullets into his chest times.

Toei gathered basically every big name actor they could get for this film, and called it “30 years of Toei men” on the poster. Of course, there had been similar star gatherings before, but this time it felt more like an attempt to lure the audiences to the theatre one last time. The cast includes Sugawara, Chiba, Koji Tsuruta, Tsunehiko Watase, Mikio Narita, Hiroki Matsukata, Asao Koike, Tatsuo Umemiya, and many others. The sequel would add Toshiro Mifune to the cast. There was, of course, a certain charm to having all these guys in the same movie.

* Original title: Yakuza senso: Nihon no don (やくざ戦争 日本の首領)
    * Director: Sadao Nakajima
    * Chiba's role: Major supporting role
    * Film availability: Toei DVD (Japan) (No subtitles)

Sonny China being a gentleman

Bunta Sugawara removing bullets from his west

Alan Delon, sorry, I mean Sonny Chiba, doing bodyguarding for Koji Tsuruta

Yakuza mobile

Hiroki Matsukata enjoying the view

Car on fire

Gangster meeting

Yakuza rests on the floor

Sonny Chiba grabbing a man by the chest AFTER shooting him six times!

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
      Karate for Life (Japan, 1977) [35mm] - 3/5
      The final film in the Masutatsu Oyama trilogy was also Chiba's last karate film in which he played starring role. It was the end of an era; the 70s karate film boom had ran its course (new kind of action films with Chiba protégé Hiroyuki Sanada would emerge in the 80s, however). Having battled bears and bulls in the earlier instalments, Chiba now encounters the most frightening beast of them all: an American pro-wrester. It's not one of Chiba's better films, but it's still quite entertaining if you can accept some clichéd drama featuring orphan children and rather silly fights against wrestlers. The film's best scenes are the cool opening, in which Chiba beats 101 karate fighters, and fantastic closing duel against nemesis Masashi Ishibashi. Okinawa locations are also somewhat well used, and Hideo Murota turns in a good supporting performance as a fight promoter.

* Original Title: Karate baka ichidai (空手バカ一代)
      * Director: Kazuhiko Yamaguchi
      * Chiba's role: Starring role
      * Film availability: Adness DVD (USA)

Ishibashi

Karate demon Chiba

Chiba vs. Ishibashi. One of Chiba's most intense on screen fights

I haven't watched this in years but might have to give it a re-watch soon. Do you know if Toei is putting this out in HD on their channel?

Btw, as you know this live action version was based on the manga, A Karate - Crazy Life that ran in Weekly Shonen back in the early to mid 70s. There was an anime version that ran for a couple years for 47 episodes. It also streamed on Hulu here in the US. I caught a few episodes and thought it was pretty good. Discotek bought the rights and is now releasing the complete series on dvd.

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
        I haven't watched this in years but might have to give it a re-watch soon. Do you know if Toei is putting this out in HD on their channel?

Btw, as you know this live action version was based on the manga, A Karate - Crazy Life that ran in Weekly Shonen back in the early to mid 70s. There was an anime version that ran for a couple years for 47 episodes. It also streamed on Hulu here in the US. I caught a few episodes and thought it was pretty good. Discotek bought the rights and is now releasing the complete series on dvd.
        I don't know if Toei has Karate for Life in HD, but they might, since it never came out on DVD in Japan (*).

* Looking at Toei Channel, it looks like Toei is mostly giving HD scans to
        a) Their most popular films (Takakura, Matsuda, Fukasaku etc.)
        b) A bit less popular films that never came out on DVD in Japan (quite a few 70s Chiba films)
        c) Anything that is timely at the moment.

I don't know about Karate for Life... the lack of JP DVD makes it a good candidate for HD scan, but when the first two films were on Toei Channel a while ago and they were in SD (that was to be expected though, since they came out on DVD in Japan).

Thanks for the Anime news. I didn't know about that.

Comment

I don't know if Toei has Karate for Life in HD, but they might, since it never came out on DVD in Japan (*).

* Looking at Toei Channel, it looks like Toei is mostly giving HD scans to
          a) Their most popular films (Takakura, Matsuda, Fukasaku etc.)
          b) A bit less popular films that never came out on DVD in Japan (quite a few 70s Chiba films)
          c) Anything that is timely at the moment.

I don't know about Karate for Life... the lack of JP DVD makes it a good candidate for HD scan, but when the first two films were on Toei Channel a while ago and they were in SD (that was to be expected though, since they came out on DVD in Japan).

Thanks for the Anime news. I didn't know about that.
          I was hoping for another Wolfguy Enraged scenario where someone would up the HD version they ripped off the channel as it would be an improvement over the Adness release.

Btw, KARATE FOR LIFE is not the only live action film based off the manga. Have you seen or know anything about the "Shin Karate Baka Ichidai: Kakutōsha" two part films released in the mid-2000s? It was directed by Takeshi Miyasaka who is probably best known in the West for the Riki Takeuchi V cinema, TOKYO MAFIA: YAKUZA BLOOD and stars pro-wrestling legend Funaki. Never got a R1 release but was apparently released in Italy.

Comment

• Honor of Japan (Japan, 1977) [DVD] - 2/5
            This was a sort of companion piece to the Godfather of Japan trilogy (1977-1978), which director Sadao Nakajima put out around the same time, to the extent that it shared some of the same advertising taglines. All of the films were talkative, story-heavy films about organized criminality, featuring a dozen central characters in each film and mostly lacking the hectic energy of the mid-70s yakuza films. They are, despite their ambition, a sad example of where the genre was heading: towards pretentious "serious crime cinema" that emphasized pseudo-epic storylines over mayhem despite not having especially interesting storylines in the first place. Honor of Japan works best during its few violent shoot outs, and when it pits yakuza stars Bunta Sugawara and Sonny Chiba against each other, but like the Godfather of Japan films it suffers from a slow-moving and not all that engaging storyline.

* Original title: Nihon no jingi (日本の仁義)
            * Director: Sadao Nakajima
            * Chiba's role: Major supporting role
            * Film availability: Toei DVD (Japan) (No subtitles)

Chiba

Yakuza meetings

More yakuza meetings

Even more yakuza meetings

Koji Tsuruta

Chiba

Chiba and Sugawara

Comment

• Two stills for Honor of Japan

Comment

• Message From Space (Japan, 1978) [VoD] - 2.5/5
                The Japanese were quick to take note of Star Wars' success, releasing a handful of copycats to Japanese screens before the film had even opened in Japan. Message From Space was the biggest budgeted (approx. $5 million) of them. Hiroyuki Sanada, Etsuko Shihomi, and Vic Morrow star; Sonny Chiba has a small and forgettable supporting role. In fact, more interesting than the cast is the fact that the film was based on an old samurai novel. Unfortunately the sci-fi adaptation turned out quite a mess with hardly any interesting characters. Special effects are sometimes good, sometimes not. Tokusatsu fans may still like it, and indeed the film has its fans, but for non-genre fans there are better movies to see. Fukasaku did much better with his second try, Legend of the Eight Samurai (1983), which was a tremendously entertaining pop ballad period fantasy version of the same story.

* Original title: Uchu kara no messeji (宇宙からのメッセージ)
                * Director: Kinji Fukasaku
                * Chiba's role: Small supporting role
                * Film availability: Toei DVD (Japan) (in Japanese, no subtitles), Shout! Factory DVD (US) (English dub), Discotek / Eastern Star DVD (US) (sub and dub) (the legal status of this release is questionable)

Comment

• Okinawa 10 Year War (Japan, 1978) [35mm] - 3.5/5
                  Sonny Chiba is at his most charismatic in this yakuza film based on the same conflict as Okinawa Yakuza War (1976). This one, however, covers a 10 year period. It was produced after the primary jitsuroku era and one can see the effect: the violence has been toned down a little bit, drama is emphasized with larger (not better) female roles, and there is a comedian included in the cast in a serious role. None of these changes were for the better. Chiba, however, is terrific as a gangster who has a wife and child to take care of. His acting is solid and charisma, partly thanks to the bearded look, is through the roof. Hiroki Matsukata co-stars. Opening credits and advertising materials bill him as the lead, but I would say Chiba is the actual main character with more screen time. The action packed ending is also very satisfying.

* Original title: Okinawa 10 nen senso (沖縄10年戦争)
                  * Director: Akinori Matsuo
                  * Chiba's role: Starring role
                  * Film availability: VoD (Japan) (No subtitles)

Chiba and Matsukata

Comment

• Bought something...

This thing is huge! It's sadly folded (I'm sure there is a special place in hell for people who fold movie poster) and very much looks 41 years old (as it is), but I'm happy to have it.

Comment

• That's pretty boss. I have the US one sheet for that but I think the Japanese one might be cooler.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Yeah it's very nice.. I also suppose not very easy to come by...it deserves a frame!

Comment

• Amazing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            That's pretty boss. I have the US one sheet for that but I think the Japanese one might be cooler.
                            The US poster is a beauty, though. I'd love to have that on my wall as well.

Originally posted by tetrapak View Post
                            Yeah it's very nice.. I also suppose not very easy to come by...it deserves a frame!
                            I suppose so too. That's why I picked it when I came across it (for 3000 yen), even though I wish the condition was better.

Comment

The US poster is a beauty, though. I'd love to have that on my wall as well.

I suppose so too. That's why I picked it when I came across it (for 3000 yen), even though I wish the condition was better.
                              Do you get those off yahoo jp auctions?

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                                Do you get those off yahoo jp auctions?
                                Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X