Sonny Chiba Mega Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post

I don't think you could go wrong with anything that's been released on Blu-ray. The Shout collections have more variety so that might be the best starting point. Volume 2 has some of my favorite Chiba films.
    Cool, thanks. Those Shout collections are reasonably priced too.

Comment

• Eureka are releasing a 'Beast Fighter' set in June containing Karate Bearfighter and Karate Bullfighter.

https://diabolikdvd.com/product/beas...-ray-preorder/

The mighty Sonny Chiba (Bodyguard Kiba) stars in two spectacular martial arts movies based upon the real life of Masutatsu “Mas” Ōyama – the fabled bull-slaying karate master who trained none other than Chiba himself.

In Karate Bullfighter (or Champion of Death), a karate tournament is crashed by an enigmatic martial artist calling himself Ōyama (Chiba), who arrives in tattered rags and beats all who dare challenge him. But Ōyama’s entrance into the world of karate has unforeseen consequences, and soon he is fighting for far more than sporting victory. Then, in Karate Bearfighter, Ōyama is expelled from the karate community for refusing to pull his punches. With no where else to turn, he takes a job with the yakuza after running into Kimura (Hideo Murota), who Ōyama once knew as a fellow member of the Imperial Japanese Air Service before he turned to a life of crime. Ultimately, though, Ōyama has no more respect for his superiors on the streets than he did in the dojo…

Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Sister Street Fighter), Karate Bullfighter and Karate Bearfighter were adapted from the popular manga series Karate Baka Ichidai by Ikki Kajiwara, which ran from 1971 to 1977 and chronicled the life and legend of Mas Ōyama. Eureka Classics is proud to present both films for the first time ever on Blu-ray from brand new restorations of the original film elements by Toei.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Limited edition O-card slipcase featuring new artwork by JJ Harrison
      1080p presentations of both films across two Blu-ray discs, from new restorations of the original film elements by Toei
      Original Japanese mono audio
      Brand new feature length audio commentaries on both films by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
      In Search of the Ultimate Truth – Brand new video essay by Jonathan Clements, author of A Brief History of the Martial Arts
      Original theatrical trailers
      Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Eddie Falvey

Click image for larger version

Name:	BeastFighter-ChibaDouble-OCard-website-500px.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	429717

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• It's interesting (& annoying for us on this side of the pond) to note that this is a US/Canada-only release...

I've still not seen either of the films, but is it possible this could be due to animal cruelty issues..?
        https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
        http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
          It's interesting (& annoying for us on this side of the pond) to note that this is a US/Canada-only release...

I've still not seen either of the films, but is it possible this could be due to animal cruelty issues..?
          Not sure, but I expect if someone else has the UK rights they'll probably soft announce it soon to prevent people importing it.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
            It's interesting (& annoying for us on this side of the pond) to note that this is a US/Canada-only release...

I'm guessing it's an animal issue with Chiba fighting a real bull in the first one. I'm not sure if it has ever been released in the UK?

The second film wouldn't be an issue at all, since it's a man in a bear suit

Comment

• Yeah, I suspect any stuff with bulls being bashed about might potentially run afoul of UK law...?

I now need to see 'Bearfighter' immediately though! I wonder if they used the same bearsuit the villain wears to molest girls in 'The Great Chase'?
              https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
              http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post

The second film wouldn't be an issue at all, since it's a man in a bear suit
                That wouldn't stop those pussy Brits from banning the film.

Still odd that these were licensed separately from the third film.

Comment

• Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Eureka is releasing Message from Space in the UK. Someone else is rumored to have it in the US.
                    SPECIAL FEATURES
                    • Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Scott Saslow [2000 copies]
                    • Limited edition reversible poster [2000 copies]
                    • 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray from a restoration of the original film elements supplied by Toei
                    • Original Japanese audio English dub
                    • Optional English subtitles
                    • Brand new audio commentary by Tom Mes
                    • An appreciation of the film by film writer Patrick Macias
                    • Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
                    • Stills gallery
                    • Trailers
                    • A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Christopher Stewardson

Comment

• Holy shit! Real life karate bearfighter found!

- https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ber-of-attacks

Comment

• Ha, amazing!
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                        X