No announcement yet.

Sonny Chiba Mega Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wolf Guy comparisons got my attention. Someone needs to fan-sub this!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I wish I would have found Narcotics/Prostitution G-Men Terrifying Flesh Hell earlier in my Sonny Chiba/Pinky Violence education. There is no shortage of 70's flicks about tricking young girls into prostitution with heroin and this one is fine, but it's nothing special. It's Chiba so it's not without some moments, but there was nothing particularly memorable. Most of my favorite Chiba films come after 1972 and this film feels like a warmup for what's to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
        I wish I would have found Narcotics/Prostitution G-Men Terrifying Flesh Hell earlier in my Sonny Chiba/Pinky Violence education. There is no shortage of 70's flicks about tricking young girls into prostitution with heroin and this one is fine, but it's nothing special. It's Chiba so it's not without some moments, but there was nothing particularly memorable. Most of my favorite Chiba films come after 1972 and this film feels like a warmup for what's to come.
        You really need to see the first film, which is way better than Terrifying Flesh Hell. A Narcotics Agent's Ballad has much better story and characters, much better soundtrack, much better action and even much more nudity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
          You really need to see the first film, which is way better than Terrifying Flesh Hell. A Narcotics Agent's Ballad has much better story and characters, much better soundtrack, much better action and even much more nudity.
          that does look super cool. I really hope its gets subtitled. I've pledge my money.

Comment

• Does anyone have Samurai Reincarnation (1981) in their possession with the English dub? I'd appreciate if someone could check the "God will be cut" line and post it here word to word. It should be around 90 minutes into the film in the uncut 2 hour version (a lot earlier in the 88 min US version), spoken by Tetsuro Tamba after he has finished the sword, just after he collapses.

Wikipedia says "If you should encounter God, God will be cut." but I'd like to have a confirmation if that's exactly what's on the English dub or not?

EDIT: it's "Master Jubei... If you encounter God, God will be cut."
            Takuma
            Last edited by Takuma; 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• A couple of cool stills for Yakuza Deka: No Epitaphs for Us (やくざ刑事 俺たちに墓はない) (1971)

Comment

• The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (USA, 2006) [VoD] - 2/5
                An American guy moves in with his American father, falls in love with an Australian girl, and makes friends with a Korean. What country was this film set in again? A nonsensical Hollywood foreign vacation only utilizes Japan as a superficial visual backdrop; the script could've been filmed in any country with minor modifications. Sonny Chiba shows up in three scenes as a yakuza boss, and beats everyone else with his... Japanese language skills! In a typically ignorant move, the film is cast almost exclusively with Americans and people of random Asian descent, including the Japanese villain Drifting King who really struggles with his Japanese dialogue! And who the hell were those Japanese bit characters who help this white twat hero challenge a yakuza-backed gangster? "White boy fantasy" as Spike Lee would say. Also, Lucas Black makes Paul Walker and Vin Diesel look like character actors in comparison. And in 2019, you can't help but notice the film opens AND closes with a race where a woman in the main prize! All that being said, it's still watchable teen garbage, somehow. The mix of stupidity and action with ok tech credits is to thank. Also, keep your eyes open for future martial arts star Mitsuki Koga as yakuza henchman.

* Japanese title: Wild Speed X3: TOKYO DRIFT (ワイルド・スピードX3 TOKYO DRIFT)
                * Director: Justin Timberla, no, I mean Justin Lin
                * Chiba's role: Minor role
                * Film availability: Easy

Two yankees in Tokyo

Two yankees in...

A Korean-American, an Australian and an American of Korean-Japanese descent in...

"Monkey didn't have his banana today"

Holy shit, a Japanese! Mitsuki Koga before Hard Revenge Milly and Bushido Man

Chiba

Comment

• Ha, Tokyo Drift was on in our hotel last night. The ONLY thing I remembered about it was that SC was in it for a few minutes.

Like you say, not good, but watchable garbage. Kinda weird seeing Sonny show up in this at all.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Resurrection of the Golden Wolf(Japan, 1979) [35mm] - 4/5
                    A toxic, overly contrived and positively astonishing anti-hero spectacle with badass Yusaku Matsuda an office worker at day and a villain climbing the underworld ladders at night. Haruhiko Oyabu's source novel delivered 2½ films worth of gangster plotting and action crammed into 131 minutes, filmed by Toru Murakawa with his trademark one-shot action bravuras and mindboggling sexism. Matsuda is 6'0" of toxic masculinity, groping women, dealing drugs, blasting inferior men (“got kids? They'll be happier without you!”) and going bananas over the sense of power after he has turned villainous corporate bosses into his slaves. And who could forget the strange ending. Sonny Chiba ventures into the film as nerdy, glass-wearing extortionist about an hour in and stays on board for 30 minutes - he's one of the big names in the incredibly packed cast alongside Mikio Narita, Asao Koike, Koichi Iwaki, Toru Abe, Shin Kishida, Kenji Imai, Yutaka Nakajima, Kyosuke Machida and others. Frankly, a bit of an epic mess, but a tremendously entertaining one with style to spare. And the ultra-funky score is superb. Matsuda's best action film.

* Original title: Yomigaeru kinro (蘇る金狼)
                    * Director: Toru Murakawa
                    * Chiba's role: Major supporting role
                    * Film availability: Kadokawa BD (4K remaster) (Japan) (no subs), Kadokawa BD & DVD (digital remaster) (Japan) (no subs), Kadokawa DVD (old master) (Japan) (no subs), Adness DVD (USA) (old master)

The screencaps below are from the old Kadokawa Blu-Ray. There is a more recent 4K remastered BD also, but I never bothered getting it because the old disc looks fine. The Adness DVD is from an older master and looks notably inferior.

Chiba

Chiba

Comment

• Resurrection of the Golden Wolf BD vs. DVD comparison

Top: Kadokawa BD (2009 master) (not the 4K mastered new version)
                      Bottom: Adness DVD

For uncompressed caps, see here:
                      https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/for...=5316&p=136339

Comment

• Oh man, if there were an English friendly Blu-ray from that new master I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. It's a pretty great movie. Looks like I'm stuck with the Adness DVD for a while though...
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          Oh man, if there were an English friendly Blu-ray from that new master I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. It's a pretty great movie. Looks like I'm stuck with the Adness DVD for a while though...
                          You know that exact same blu ray with custom English subs has been available for over a year on the usual sites. It's a raw file though close to 40gb in size. Although for some reason it appears you seem averse to going the torrent route and prefer physical media.

Comment

• I prefer discs, yes (and legality too), but when discs aren't available, digital is fine - but no, I didn't know it was available with subs via torrent, I've honestly never thought to look for this one.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I recall Allison signed you up for one of the services that I promoted a while back. So if you want to check it out, you're a registered member and don't have to go through the application process. As far as legality, I always recommend using a seedbox or VPN. If you're talking about moral compunction, then yeah, it's best not to go there.

Comment

• It's a mix of both, honestly. I don't typically download something I can legally buy. Not casting judgement at all, it's just my thing. But yeah, if it's up at that site I will go take a look since there isn't an English friendly version available to buy.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X